• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended DAC with 12v trigger?

JeremyMTB

Looking for a DAC to use in my system and one component is a Sonos port. The system currenly works with the 12v trigger which keeps the wife and family happy. I am looking for a DAC that will turn on via a trigger with the Sonos.

If none of the recommended DACs have the trigger does the Topping D90 have auto standby? I think the 50s does but information in those features is sparse.

Budget is not much of a concern if I can find what I am looking for.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If I understand you right your Sonos or some other component has a trigger out jack? If so you can use one of these to turn your DAC on/off with that trigger line. I use 2 of them to trigger my 5 power amps from my AV trigger.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935
2935-13.jpg

Last edited:

gfx_1

The D50s has an auto on (and off) feature, it reacts on the optical port and the coax. Haven't tried the USB input.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I understand you right your Sonos or some other component has a trigger out jack? If so you can use one of these to turn your DAC on/off with that trigger line. I use 2 of them to trigger my 4 power amps from my AV trigger.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935
2935-13.jpg
[/QUOTE

Somewhat more expensive is the Niles CS12v temporarily out of stock at Crutchfield. It is priced at $235 .

OP
J

JeremyMTB

Sal

Thanks for the reply. I agree. My power center has 12v switches outlets that I use for Amos as well. The problem I have run into is a lot of products power “on” in an “off” state and the momentary button on the front needs to be pressed. The D70 looks to be this way with the mechanical power switch in the back and the soft touch button on the front.

gfx_1

Tried the USB port on the D50s. When the unit is set to auto=ON the USB device shows up with lsusb on my pc.
" Bus 005 Device 014: ID 152a:8750 Thesycon Systemsoftware & Consulting GmbH "
and with aplay -l

card 2: D50s [D50s], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Even when the unit is off.

when auto=OFF the device disappears from the lsusb list when the DAC is turned off.

In auto=ON mode sending music to it wakes it up. But only the last chosen input. It doesn't autoswitch to another one.
After turning the hub off (monitor) it powers down but it wakes up immediately when the monitor is turned on again.

Last edited:

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
Hi,

Please pardon my english, i speak croissant.
I'm also looking for a DAC with the exact same configuration.
I ordered a 12v trigger switch that will control a power strip where both DAC and actives speakers are connected.

Do you know if DACs with power switch on the back keep their configuration even if powered off and doesn't require any manipulation when powered on?

I'm currently looking for a SMSL M500, Gustard X16, SMSL SU-8/SU-9 or Topping DX7 PRO.

Thank you for the reply

ethanhallbeyer

I have bought two of them, it works flawlessly with my RME ADI-2 DAC!

i have an rme adi-2 dac fs and it has no 12v trigger.. my monoblock amps do. i want to turn on the adi-2 dac with its remote and have a device send a 12v signal to the monoblock amp trigger to turn on the amp to play music. this device seems to use the 12v trigger to detect a signal and then connect a pathway for power to go thru to power another component?

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
i have an rme adi-2 dac fs and it has no 12v trigger.. my monoblock amps do. i want to turn on the adi-2 dac with its remote and have a device send a 12v signal to the monoblock amp trigger to turn on the amp to play music. this device seems to use the 12v trigger to detect a signal and then connect a pathway for power to go thru to power another component?

What is the music player ?
I'm not sure there is a way to do it in the way you're looking at

Top Bottom