• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended amp for low-volume listening Dynaudio Focus 340s

rusty75

hi,

I was wondering if it will be at all possible to drive a pair of Dynaudio Focus 340 speakers with a 100 Watt @ 4 Ohms amplifier?
If I understand correctly, this would be an absolutely bad idea under normal circumstances, I could even damage the speakers.

However I will never be driving them hard, simply because they are standing in a smallish room (12m2) which is my office.
Also for that have another audio setup in my living room.

So per definition I will ONLY be listening to them at whispering or slightly above levels and I will never go above that.

For this pair though, my budget is strictly limited.

Dynaudio Focus 340s, sensitivity 87 db, 4 Ohm 250Watts

I was hoping to use either a Simaudio Moon 250i or a Hegel H90 or similar as this is within my budget.
Would a Croft GC-I even work? I guess absolutely not?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for sharing your insights!

Edit - I realize I have been mentioning amps with DACs. Actually, that is not even a requirement. I was basically just looking for entry level Hegel or entry level Simaudio Moon... anything used that fits in my budget

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
The Hegel H90 would work but for less money and more power I recommend the combo below:
1. MiniDSP FLEX (Blanaced with Dirac) $824 with Mic and Dirac
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex
2. Two channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger and Auto On= $749 shipped

Total $1573 for a great amp, Balanced DAC and Dirac. This will offer a lot of options, and a huge amount of power at a very reasonable price. It will easily power your speakers at all SPL levels no matter what room they are in.

OP
R

rusty75

The Hegel H90 would work but for less money and more power I recommend the combo below:
1. MiniDSP FLEX (Blanaced with Dirac) $824 with Mic and Dirac
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex
2. Two channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger and Auto On= $749 shipped

Total $1573 for a great amp, Balanced DAC and Dirac. This will offer a lot of options, and a huge amount of power at a very reasonable price. It will easily power your speakers at all SPL levels no matter what room they are in.
interesting path, thanks... will look into that.
Actually I have a dac here (S.M.S.L SU-8) and some other equipment so I should be ok with only an amp for now, I guess?

Edit - I realize I have been mentioning amps with DACs. Actually, that is not even a requirement. I was basically just looking for entry level Hegel or entry level Simaudio Moon and ran into these used..

Thanks

OP
R

rusty75

So how would something like this (Two Channel NC252MP) compare to a Topping PA5? Just something else that was suggested to me.. thanks, this is a new world to me :)
And both to more expensive class A/B equipment?

Last edited:
OP
R

rusty75

LOL I just realize these are Hypex.nl boards... located very close to where I live (in the Netherlands), so I could add the case myself, probably? That should reduce costs.. :)
Same for the purifi boards... this is amazing, THANK YOU :)

Top Bottom