• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations please!

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What do you think about the other more expensive streamer options vs the Node?
I can't speak to other dedicated streamers, but in my other system I use the IOTAVX NP3 which is a sort of "do it all" integrated amp/DAC that includes streaming, and is comparable to the Node 2i in price. The IOTAVX streamer function works just as well as the Node 2i without the hassle of BlueOS (I'm using a free app called Legacy Player via WiiM which works fine), at least for TuneIn and Qobuz, the primary steaming services I use. It is also compatible with Spotify and Tital, amongst others, but I don't use those. In addition to wireless or cabled streaming the NP3 comes with a built-in CD/SACD player and selectable options for PC Audio, Optical, Coaxial, Bluetooth (aptX 24 bit), USB, and even has built-in FM as well as DAB. Uses a Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip which seems to have a fairly decent reputation. If the NP3 had been available at the time I bought the Node 2i then I would have selected it since it also would have saved me from buying the AudioLab 6000 CRT. So I guess that's a bottom line comment: I would buy it again. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

hedrick

Weird. I like Bluis. Many other people do as well. If you want to get all the current streaming features there have to be periodic updates. One good thing about Bluos is that they keep even fairly old hardware up to date with software.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everybody has ignored the obvious electronics upgrade: DSP for bass/room correction. You should be able to flip your gear for a Minidsp SHD & NC502 at very little cost. Will you hear a difference from better noise/distortion? Maybe a small difference. Will you hear a difference from Dirac? Oh, hell yes.

And the KG2s are almost certainly the weak link in your chain.
Where’s the best deal for Minidsp SHD, NC502 and Dirac? Idk all the abbreviations. Thanks again. Also, what do you think about the Schiit Loki Mini +.
@HammerSandwich is absolutely correct. Audio electronics is a solved problem. They are basically commodities now -- just get the ones with the features and quantities (i.e. output power for amplifiers) that you want. Good loudspeakers, room EQ and bass management are by far the most effective means to get better sound into your room.

I am not familiar with the Klipsch KG2, but if you are looking for new speakers, there are plenty of good recommendations in this thread.

My guess is that you are probably new to room EQ and bass management. If you want to get into the nitty-gritty, they do have a pretty steep learning curve and will get technical quickly. If you want something (relatively) simple to use and setup, there are amplifiers and AV receivers with Dirac Live DSP. There are many choices, and I'm showing just 2 of them here:
NAD M10v2
MiniDSP SHD Power

Many people are happy without bass management (i.e. incorporating subwoofers into their system). Sub(s) may not be practical in every situation.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Weird. I like Bluis. Many other people do as well. If you want to get all the current streaming features there have to be periodic updates. One good thing about Bluos is that they keep even fairly old hardware up to date with software.
To each their own. Goes to show there is a reason they have 31 flavors of ice cream...

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As some have already said and to give you some perspective. The DAC and AMP are by orders of magnitude (unless broken / flawed) the components least contributing to sound quality.

As a rule of thumb. Room : Speaker : AMP/DAC are about 10000:1000:1 contributing to sound quality.

So if you want to improve / spent money at all than invest in Room EQ (MiniDSP, Dirac, Audessey etc.) and or speakers. Next to Room EQ if you like you can look into subwoofers to compensate for the inevitably room modes (peaks/nulls) below ca. 200 to 300 Hz.

Last edited:
OP
B

btlancaster24

I prefer Roon over bluos

CHenry

In addition to my first post. What do you think about the Audioquest Cinnamon Digital Coax connecting my Node to my Peactree Nova? Would there be a worthwhile difference using a better Digital Coax? If so, what would you recommend? Then I’m using Blue Jeans speaker cables. What are your thoughts on those? Would there be a worthwhile difference upgrading them? If so, what would you recommend? Lastly, I’m using Vintage Klipsch Kg2 speakers. ( with the passive radiators on the backsides). Kind of like mini Forte’s. Do you think upgrading my speakers would make a difference? If so, what would you recommend? Keep in mind I’m living in an apartment. Thanks again for your feedback and helping me to understand all of this. I really appreciate it.
If you are going to spend more money, upgrade your speakers. As others have said, you are not going to hear the "defects" that the Nova 300 was claimed to have on SINAD testing. Peachtree did a very good job engineering the Nova 300, which brought a very powerful integrated amp (300W-8Ω; 450W-4Ω @<1% THD) with multiple digital inputs, SE line inputs and a MM phono input, a very good quality DAC, a headphone amp with a useful front-facing 1/4 inch jack and in a very attractive cabinet package that does not take up excessive space. Even at six years on the market, there is nothing that offers that much for the money in a single package. Are there limitations to the Peachtree? Sure. Take one look at the new Carina faceplate and you will see a LCD display, which is a vastly better design from an ergonomics perspective. (No confusing dual use of a train of LEDs which double for volume level and source indicator.) I think this site did a disservice by rating it poorly compared to other devices that overall provide far less quality for the money. That is the inherent curse of distilling a product rating down to one or two measurements, some of which do not reflect audible performance (And I'm not criticizing Amir--I really do value his hard work-- just recognizing methodological limitations here.)

Top Bottom