• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations please. In the market for studio monitors up to/around 8£k

N3GUS

Hi guys. First post. Apologies if im repeating existing threads.

My Adam P22a have given up the ghost. And once ive had them fixed they will be retired to a bookshelf somewhere.

We have been keenly eyeing up the Hedd type 30 mk11 but production is being repeatedly held up.

We produce Drum and Bass and many of our contemporaries are using Hedds now. So we were keen to check them out.

We have trialled a pair of Neumann 310 and were impressed. Our studio is tall (roughly 4.5m l/ 3m w/ 3.5m h) and takes a bit of filling, so the Neumanns felt like they needed a sub (which we couldnt get a trail on)

Our attention has been grabbed by the new pmc 6-2. general opinion on here seems to be anti pmc. Has anyone tried the new stuff? (We are waiting to test a pair atm)

Wed rather not be using a sub but will if needs must.

Do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions to check out around that price please?

We may wait untill we can try the Hedds before we decide so we may aswell fill the time testing others.

aac

We have trialled a pair of Neumann 310 and were impressed. Our studio is tall (roughly 4.5m l/ 3m w/ 3.5m h) and takes a bit of filling, so the Neumanns felt like they needed a sub (which we couldnt get a trail on)
Just get kh420 then?
The room is really small, can you sit at least 1.5 m from them?

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Sounds like KH420s are the ticket for you.

OP
N

N3GUS

Just get kh420 then?
The room is really small, can you sit at least 1.5 m from them?
First time ive heard the room described as really small. a production studio we built within a limited but reasonable footprint. It comfortably fits 2 producers and a vocalist working all day.

Its 4.5m long. We have a nrz in the end the speakers sit and will have our studio designer place the speakers for us. We are fairly flexible with seating as a large sweetspot was important for us as we work as a pair often.

Build specs lend to the lack of pressure. Sound proofing wasnt a priority for us.

Kh 420 are on the list to trial for sure.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hedd type 30 mk2 ?

Reluctant to spend without trying all options but clock is ticking and wondering whether they were worth waiting for?

lowkeyoperations

Amphion Two18’s. With flex25 subs.

I’d highly recommend reading through the ‘High End Nearfield Test’ and ‘Amphion Beautiful’ threads over on Gearspace for a complete rundown on the upper end of studio monitors.

A guy in the High End Nearfield test used a lot of studio monitors in his studio. There’s lots of great information from a mixing point of view, rather than purely a listening perspective.

Last edited:

kyle_neuron

Your room may not feel physically small, but it is acoustically small. As in, the Schroeder frequency will be quite high unless you have significant amounts of low-frequency specific treatment installed.

The simple result is that you’re going to be listening to the modal response of the room more than the speaker in the sub region. Especially with the majority of studio speakers having little to no pattern control into the lower notes. Therefore placement will be more important than having tons of output, or even extension.

I like transmission lines personally, but they behave a little differently to reflex or sealed cabinets in terms of radiation impedance. I think that throws some people off when using them.

Cardioid systems like the Dutch&Dutch or Kii could be a big improvement for you, especially if you have limited placement options, but so would a multi-sub setup for the content below the Schroeder frequency.

OP
N

N3GUS

What did you buy?
Nothing yet. We are waiting for more to trial. pmc 6-2 next i think.

My p22a will be back with a replacement tweeter within a week so the urgency is diminishing. Looking more like a new year purchase as we really want to try before we buy.

OP
N

N3GUS

Your room may not feel physically small, but it is acoustically small. As in, the Schroeder frequency will be quite high unless you have significant amounts of low-frequency specific treatment installed.

The simple result is that you’re going to be listening to the modal response of the room more than the speaker in the sub region. Especially with the majority of studio speakers having little to no pattern control into the lower notes. Therefore placement will be more important than having tons of output, or even extension.

I like transmission lines personally, but they behave a little differently to reflex or sealed cabinets in terms of radiation impedance. I think that throws some people off when using them.

Cardioid systems like the Dutch&Dutch or Kii could be a big improvement for you, especially if you have limited placement options, but so would a multi-sub setup for the content below the Schroeder frequency.

Im going to put together a drawing of the studio with the build specs. It was done on a budget but we have some clever friends who helped. May help give a better feel of what we are working with. When you run the maths we get a nice wide sweet spot with minimal standing waves, considering the footprint.

Weve not fully settled in properly yet as covid happened during the build and threw up lots of challenges. But we have managed to hit the ground running with minimal treatment. The next phase is tweaks and personalisation.

This forum has been a good find.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

(Im off to do a bit of research so i can understand some of your answers better )

OP
N

N3GUS

To round up, we ended up going with the Head type 30 mk11

We couldn't get a trial on the kh420 and we didn't think they would work with our sweet spot with the 2m listening distance anyway.

we waited and loaned a pair of the type 30s

after a week with them we were sold.

initially we felt the mids were a bit weak compared to the Neumanns we tried but with a bit of time we really like how hard we have to work to get the mid right in our mixes. I think the neumanns could be described as flattering in comparison.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

IMG_4975.JPG

Top Bottom