• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations Please: DAC/AMP (with Optical €100~ )

vb09

Hi Guys!
I have been following ASR forums for a while now, posting here for the first time! :)
I am fairly new to the Hifi scene, I am looking to buy an AMP or DAC with Amp capabilities.

Headphone: Want to drive DT990 (250ohms, I know not the best starter per Amirm's review)
Usage: I usually listen to lossless flac files via my laptop/ Android phone. I also want to use the Optical out on my PS4 and hookup my AMP/DAC to DT990

I know I have a modest budget, just wanted a few recommendations to explore around. Recently, I came across Fx audio dac-x6 mkii. Couldn't find many reviews/ documentation around it.

Open to thoughts and comments. (PS: I am in EU region. :))

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping is a brand that has been shown to be affordable and highly reviewed (for the most part) within these pages.

OP
V

vb09

Topping is a brand that has been shown to be affordable and highly reviewed (for the most part) within these pages.
Which Topping model would you suggest, something like E30.
If I buy a DAC like E30 and use it in isolation (without L30 bundle) would I be severely compromising on the audio amplification aspect?
what you think? :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I buy a DAC like E30 and use it in isolation (without L30 bundle) would I be severely compromising on the audio amplification aspect?
Which amp do you plan to use in the chain after the DAC?

AudioStudies

I went with the D90/A90 combo, which looks to be out of your stated budget. I couldn't tell you much about the other Topping units beyond what is in the ASR reviews.

OP
V

vb09

Which amp do you plan to use in the chain after the DAC?
Well I am just dipping my feet in the Hifi world so wasnt looking to buy two units DAC + AMP immediately.
I was preferably looking for a single integrated unit with DAC & AMP capabilities. I don't mind if it is slightly underpowered on the audio amplification aspect as later on, I can upgrade the same. Till the time it is powerful enough to drive a DT-990.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I am just dipping my feet in the Hifi world so wasnt looking to buy two units DAC + AMP immediately.
I was preferably looking for a single integrated unit with DAC & AMP capabilities. I don't mind if it is slightly underpowered on the audio amplification aspect as later on, I can upgrade the same. Till the time it is powerful enough to drive a DT-990.

Ok. But you cannot plug your headphones directly in the RCA output of the Topping E30. You would need an headphones amp in-between.
So, if you only want one device, get a DAC+amp combo like the Topping DX3 Pro.

OP
V

vb09

AudioStudies

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom