• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations on ~$2500 3.1 system

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The rule of thumb for distance for a port from a wall is roughly twice the diameter of the port, but that's not the only thing going on as far as placing the speaker near a wall.....same for your seat up against the wall, that's not a good place for it. Did you ever think of going the long way in that room? I know it would change seating, but....

The 580s are good speakers, rather have the 590s tho (I have both). Speedwoofer is a good choice but I'd still go a bit larger with SVS, Hsu, Monolith, etc as mentioned.

MKR

Major Contributor
I only have my 590s about 12" from wall (ports open) and no issues at all with LF response. But as others have stated, you could always plug the ports and get them closer, then just add sub to fill-in the LF as needed.

OP
K

korndawg

I'm starting to think to hold tight and wait until i have this wall opened up before i spend any money.

OP
K

korndawg

Are the triangle BR08 worth a damn? Just seemed like a good deal but very unsure.

OP
K

korndawg

So I settled on the Emotiva C1+ center channel. From reviews it seems to blend in the best for the money.

For towers......I think its narrowed down to the JBL 580 vs Emotiva T0, T1 or T3.

There is an $800 diff between the T0 to the T2 and $450 between the T0 and T1. Guessing that savings would be better off suited going towards a nicer sub?

So with that.....WITH a sub, which tower would be the best? I wanna have a great soundstage and I wanna feel that double kick drum :)

AVR will be the Denon 760H. Just hoping it goes back on sale for $400 again. I'm in no rush so I can wait a bit.

3125b

Major Contributor
Guessing that savings would be better off suited going towards a nicer sub?
Probably, unfortunately I have no experience with any of the speakers mentioned, however among the different sized models of a series the biggest one doesn't have to be the best in terms of FR, directivity etc., usually only SPL and bass extension (which doesn't matter to you).
A good DSP sub doesn't need to be too expensive, the Monolith 10" is 550$ at the moment and comparable (except much lower group delay, the Monolith THX line are remarkable in that way) to the PB 1000 Pro. The 12" Monolith is comparable with the PB 2000 Pro and costs 800$.

The Denon 760H has the more basic Audyssey MultEQ for room correction. It's not bad and you won't be able to get MultEQ XT anywhere near 400$, for that price it's a good choice. The even cheaper AVRs have worse room correction systems, the savings aren't worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom