• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations on ~$2500 3.1 system

korndawg

Hey all. Newbie here and its been great reading all the incredible knowledge on this forum . Its quite intimidating as my budget and knowledge is much lower than the majority on here. Hoping you can help me out with getting me my best bang for the buck. I'm finally ready to move on from soundbars for my basement TV room. It’s hard to call it a home theater due to the rectangular shape won’t allow for speakers being behind me. The room is 22x11x7. 2 of he walls are not sheetrocked, so it’s still the foundation brick. My sofa sits against one wall and I’m 9 feet away from my Sony 75X950g. I do have plans to open up the space to be 22x23 but that’s 2-3+ years away.
I use streaming apps in my AppleTv (YT TV, Amazon, Netflix, etc) for all my tv watching. I watch a ton of sports and tv shows so good dialogue and soundstage is important. However, I’m also a metal head so I love my music. I love to feel the bass/double bass while hearing things i've never heard before. I’d say my use will be 70% TV and movies and 30% music.
I have a budget of $2000-$2500 to get an AVR and a good sounding 3.1 system if possible. In the past I’ve had some old Av123 ELT bookshelves and Center channel and also some Polk T50s w a Mirage S10 sub. None of those really impressed me. What would you suggest for a setup?

I’m considering a Denon S760h or s960h for my AVR.
I'd like floor-standers because there is less worry of them getting knocked off a speaker stand.
Some i've considered but not married to:

JBL 580 - due to their sale
Emotiva: Tzero - great price
Emotiva T!+ - stretching the budget

Center:
Emotica C1+

Subwoofer: SVS Pb1000 pro or maybe SB2000 Pro?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 142

Triliza

Forum Donor
Hi and welcome. The speakers will be very close to the wall, not all of them like it. Have you thought about active speakers, something like the new Kali MM-6? Buy a speaker wall mount (something like this or make one yourself) and you're done. The only thing that I'm not sure is if they will play loud enough for you in that space. For center you could buy another Kali or something from Monoprice, which has nice subs too.

OP
K

korndawg

Hi and welcome. The speakers will be very close to the wall, not all of them like it. Have you thought about active speakers, something like the new Kali MM-6? Buy a speaker wall mount (something like this or make one yourself) and you're done. The only thing that I'm not sure is if they will play loud enough for you in that space. For center you could buy another Kali or something from Monoprice, which has nice subs too.
Ya. the closeness to the wall def does scare me. I haven't really considered active speakers but not to say I wouldn't be against it. Those wall mounts you sent would work I think!

Would an Elac with a front port work better?

Triliza

Forum Donor
Ya. the closeness to the wall def does scare me. I haven't really considered active speakers but not to say I wouldn't be against it. Those wall mounts you sent would work I think!

Would an Elac with a front port work better?
I don't know much about the interaction of front or rear port with the wall, lets hope that someone else will answer your question. The room correction from your AVR will fix some issues anyway, active speakers in general not only don't have this kind of problems, they actually must be put close to the wall for best results. The Elac DBR-62 measure very well and many people like them alot, they are a good choice imo.

OP
K

korndawg

I don't know much about the interaction of front or rear port with the wall, lets hope that someone else will answer your question. The room correction from your AVR will fix some issues anyway, active speakers in general not only don't have this kind of problems, they actually must be put close to the wall for best results. The Elac DBR-62 measure very well and many people like them alot, they are a good choice imo.

Those Elac DBR-62 look very impressive. Wish they came in all black tho!

MKR

Major Contributor
Hey all. Newbie here and its been great reading all the incredible knowledge on this forum . Its quite intimidating as my budget and knowledge is much lower than the majority on here. Hoping you can help me out with getting me my best bang for the buck. I'm finally ready to move on from soundbars for my basement TV room. It’s hard to call it a home theater due to the rectangular shape won’t allow for speakers being behind me. The room is 22x11x7. 2 of he walls are not sheetrocked, so it’s still the foundation brick. My sofa sits against one wall and I’m 9 feet away from my Sony 75X950g. I do have plans to open up the space to be 22x23 but that’s 2-3+ years away.
I use streaming apps in my AppleTv (YT TV, Amazon, Netflix, etc) for all my tv watching. I watch a ton of sports and tv shows so good dialogue and soundstage is important. However, I’m also a metal head so I love my music. I love to feel the bass/double bass while hearing things i've never heard before. I’d say my use will be 70% TV and movies and 30% music.
I have a budget of $2000-$2500 to get an AVR and a good sounding 3.1 system if possible. In the past I’ve had some old Av123 ELT bookshelves and Center channel and also some Polk T50s w a Mirage S10 sub. None of those really impressed me. What would you suggest for a setup?

I’m considering a Denon S760h or s960h for my AVR.
I'd like floor-standers because there is less worry of them getting knocked off a speaker stand.
Some i've considered but not married to:

JBL 580 - due to their sale
Emotiva: Tzero - great price
Emotiva T!+ - stretching the budget

Center:
Emotica C1+

Subwoofer: SVS Pb1000 pro or maybe SB2000 Pro?

Thanks for the help!
I recently acquired a pair of refurbed Studio 590s for $760, and best I can tell they are brand new. Very, very good sonics for the price (I really haven't found a fault with them yet, though they are very neutral/transparent, so bad recordings are horrendous, but good recordings are glorious). If you can handle the size of the 590s (they are massive) and the refurb deal still available, I would jump on it. Note these speakers easily hit low 30s in my listening room (bigger than yours), very close to full range. So no need for a sub if you don't have the space.

Note I am driving these with an old Onkyo Integra receiver (80W/ch) to ear splitting levels very easily, they are very efficient, so you do not need a massive amplifier. Denon should be more than sufficient!

OP
K

korndawg

I recently acquired a pair of refurbed Studio 590s for $760, and best I can tell they are brand new. Very, very good sonics for the price (I really haven't found a fault with them yet, though they are very neutral/transparent, so bad recordings are horrendous, but good recordings are glorious). If you can handle the size of the 590s (they are massive) and the refurb deal still available, I would jump on it. Note these speakers easily hit low 30s in my listening room (bigger than yours), very close to full range. So no need for a sub if you don't have the space.

Note I am driving these with an old Onkyo Integra receiver (80W/ch) to ear splitting levels very easily, they are very efficient, so you do not need a massive amplifier. Denon should be more than sufficient!

Man, if i could make those fit, I def would. Just thinking with them being over 16" deep plus needing space away from the wall, they'd practically be in the middle of my room lol. If i had my room opened up, they'd be on my shortlist tho!

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Man, if i could make those fit, I def would. Just thinking with them being over 16" deep plus needing space away from the wall, they'd practically be in the middle of my room lol. If i had my room opened up, they'd be on my shortlist tho!
I have a pair of 580s in a very small room. They'd fit quite well in your room and their price:performance really can't be beat if you get them on sale. I'd just plug the ports so you don't have to pull them out as much. Honestly, center channel is the hardest one to recommend since a WTMW configuration is basically necessary.

Doctors11

I would consider the Aperion Audio Novus N5T speakers with their N5C center. The towers are front ported and the center is sealed. Add the RSL Speedwoofer 10S Mk II. That should sound fantastic in that room with money left over for the receiver of your choice.

OP
K

korndawg

I would consider the Aperion Audio Novus N5T speakers with their N5C center. The towers are front ported and the center is sealed. Add the RSL Speedwoofer 10S Mk II. That should sound fantastic in that room with money left over for the receiver of your choice.

I've had a few people on another forum say the same thing about Speedwoofers. Must be the go-to for me.

Wesayso

I see worries here about the speakers being close to the wall, but I'd be worried about the wall behind the listener messing up the perception of sound as well!
Even the couch itself looks to be quite reflective, not absorbing. I'd put up a large absorbing/damping panel (that can be disguised as a poster).
I've done that myself, as I'm close to the wall too. A world of difference in perception.

OP
K

korndawg

I see worries here about the speakers being close to the wall, but I'd be worried about the wall behind the listener messing up the perception of sound as well!
Even the couch itself looks to be quite reflective, not absorbing. I'd put up a large absorbing/damping panel (that can be disguised as a poster).
I've done that myself, as I'm close to the wall too. A world of difference in perception.
I wouldn't be against some damping panel/picture against that wall at all

Doctors11

I've had a few people on another forum say the same thing about Speedwoofers. Must be the go-to for me.
Yup. Probably the best choice under $500. Google "sub crawl" for a pretty easy way to find the best location for it.

OP
K

korndawg

Yup. Probably the best choice under $500. Google "sub crawl" for a pretty easy way to find the best location for it.

Plenty of "oomph" for movies too i take it? I've never had anything "good" for a sub. Dayton 12" and Mirage S10 is about as high end as i've ever had lol.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too. I had a sofa placed directly against a back wall and after putting sound absorbing panels behind my head the imaging was much better and the entire room was damped much better..

Doctors11

Me too. I had a sofa placed directly against a back wall and after putting sound absorbing panels behind my head the imaging was much better and the entire room was damped much better..
Do you and @Wesayso have links for what you used?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Doctors11

Plenty of "oomph" for movies too i take it? I've never had anything "good" for a sub. Dayton 12" and Mirage S10 is about as high end as i've ever had lol.
The RSL is certainly higher quality than those but you have a pretty big space. My suggestion would be to start with that sub but plan to add a second one sometime in the future. You'll not only get more output but if done correctly you'll smooth the response for the various seating positions.

Wesayso

Battlebeast

If you're planning on expanding the space and want "oomph" for movies then you would be better off spending a little more and getting something like one of these- even if you have to wait to get a good center channel.

Top Bottom