• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations needed - all-in-one amp

jcoldrey

Hey all,

After many years, I am looking to put together a new two channel speaker setup. My goal isn't ultimate audio quality (although as a lifelong audiophile it pains me to say that) but rather a good balance of quality and home-friendliness.

Basically, with the advent of streaming, I figured it would be great to centre the system around an all-in-one integrated amp with streaming, but I'm having trouble finding suitable units to shortlist/audition. Here are my requirements:

- a one box integrated amp capable of powering reasonable quality bookshelf speakers (will be something like Sonus Faber Sonetto 1, ELAC DBR-62, or Revel M105, haven't quite decided)
- Sources will include streaming audio (Tidal lossless, Apple Music lossless, Spotify, Idagio lossless), local files stored on my network (mostly high res audio) and a Rega Planar 3 turntable. So the unit should be able to handle streaming services (or at the very least chromecast/airplay), as well has have a good quality analogue line in (or, even better, a good quality MM phono stage, one less box to have).
- a decent quality headphone out. I have a full headphone setup that I will keep separate (RME ADI-2 DAC FS and Violectric HPA V281), but for this system I'd like to be able to drive a pair of Senn DH600 'phones with reasonable quality.

I guess something like the Naim Unity Atom is functionally appropriate but I'm totally put off by how it measures.

I'm also open to a separate pre-amp and amp setup that can accomplish the same list of things.

Your suggestions will be incredibly useful!

J.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Loooop

With the same objective I bought the Naim Superuniti about ten years ago and it was my worst experience ever with hi-fi equipment.

I replaced it 15 months ago with a Cambridge Audio Evo 150 and now I'm satisfied because, basically, I can forget it's there - it just works.

I use it with Tidal and with the TV connected via hdmi-arc, coupled with Focal Aria 948 speakers and, rarely, for listening with headphones.
It has an MM phono input, but I don't need it.

Note: according to what I read around, some complain about issues that I have not encountered.

OP
J

jcoldrey

With the same objective I bought the Naim Superuniti about ten years ago and it was my worst experience ever with hi-fi equipment.

I replaced it 15 months ago with a Cambridge Audio Evo 150 and now I'm satisfied because, basically, I can forget it's there - it just works.

I use it with Tidal and with the TV connected via hdmi-arc, coupled with Focal Aria 948 speakers and, rarely, for listening with headphones.
It has an MM phono input, but I don't need it.

Note: according to what I read around, some complain about issues that I have not encountered.
Sounds like it's wise to steer clear of Naim in this space. That Cambridge Audio unit looks the goods though!

radix

Major Contributor
You could try something like a NAD C658 which is a streamer + phono input + DIRAC room EQ, then add active speakers (e.g. neumann or genelec). It also has 2x sub out. I've not used it, but I think it has good specs.

You have some options about using the built-in DIRAC or getting the Genelec with GLM correction. It would depend on the subs and such.

Loooop

In case you missed it, ASR measured the Atom here:

spartoi

For something cheaper, you may want to add the SVS Prime Wireless Pro SoundBase to your list.

Top Bottom