• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations/Help for Setup with HD650s, Dynamic Mic, Powered Speakers, USB/MIDI Keyboard Controller

moneat

Hey folks,

Bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff, and am hoping to get some recommendations in connecting my hardware to my PC.

I've got the following, in order of importance/frequency of use.
  1. Headphones (HD650, AKG7XX etc...) formerly driven with a now broken Mayflower Audio O2/ODAC combo connected to my PC via USB. In the meantime I am plugging my headphones into my mixer below.
  2. A Dynamic Microphone to capture voice for voice recording, Audio Conferencing and general VoIP, plugged in by XLR cable to a behringer XENYX 802, connected to my PC's integrated audio through 3.5mm to RCA.
  3. Active powered speakers connected to my PC's integrated audio through 3.5mm to RCA.
  4. A USB/MIDI Keyboard Controller, connected to my PC via USB.
I'm hoping to pick up an audio interface to clean up my setup, stop relying on the integrated audio of my PC, and replace my broken amp/dac.
Ideally I wouldn't need an additional headphone amp but I'm not sure if it's possible to go that way without suffering a substantial loss in quality.
Based on recommendations/research I've done, the Motu M2/M4 seems like a decent option, however I do have 2-3x more room in my budget, if worth the cash.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The M2 literally ticks all the boxes. And in case you need more power for the headphones, have the O2/ODAC combo looked at and repaired - the amp is not spaceship technology, and there is extensive troubleshooting advice out there both by NwAvGuy himself and on diyAudio, so IMO any technician worth his salt should be able to find the problem.

OP
M

moneat

The M2 literally ticks all the boxes. And in case you need more power for the headphones, have the O2/ODAC combo looked at and repaired - the amp is not spaceship technology, and there is extensive troubleshooting advice out there both by NwAvGuy himself and on diyAudio, so IMO any technician worth his salt should be able to find the problem.

Gotcha, looks like I was heading down the right line. Any ideas on upgrade options from the Motu M2?
Is there even a higher performing product with similar features?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Higher-end interfaces tend to not bother with unbalanced RCA outputs at all. That's not actually a major problem, but required adapter cable pinout is going to depend on the output stage topology, and that may not be terribly obvious from device specificiations.
https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

Two higher-end candidates I would consider are the Focurite Clarett 2Pre and the RME Babyface Pro fs.

OP
M

moneat

Higher-end interfaces tend to not bother with unbalanced RCA outputs at all. That's not actually a major problem, but required adapter cable pinout is going to depend on the output stage topology, and that may not be terribly obvious from device specificiations.
https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

Two higher-end candidates I would consider are the Focurite Clarett 2Pre and the RME Babyface Pro fs.
Awesome, was also looking at the Clarett 2Pre. Will see what'll be involved in repairing the O2/ODAC, and decide accordingly.
Thanks again for your help!

Top Bottom