• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for well recorded/mastered rock music

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I think the song One Headlight by The Wallflowers might have one of the best recorded snare drums I've ever heard. When I listen to that song on my "serious" headphone setup I find myself getting completely sucked in by the snare so that it's the only thing I focus on in the recording. It's addictive...you can hear the drum being hit a different spots so that during the verses there's this great reverb trail.

Descartes

Major Contributor
So I am a big fan of multichannel 5.1 recordings all in SACD or Blu-ray here are some of my favorites:
- Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
- Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms
- Roxy Music: Avalon
- The Beatles: Love
- Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
- Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto: Getz/Gilberto

On Blu-ray audio
- Pink Floyd: The Endless River
-Tears for Fears: Songs From The Big Chair
- Bob Marley: Legend (30th Anniversary Edition)
- Michael Jackson This is it
https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=771

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out hdtracks.com. They have a great selection of Hi-Res remastered albums that sound fantastic. Hi-Res aside, they have a great selection of remasters that sound fantastic. Nirvana Nevermind, STP Core, AC/DC Back in Black, The Police, Radiohead OKNOTOK, Black Sabbath Paranoid, are some I have purchased and compared side by side with my originals sound better to me.

One I particularly like is the Remix of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band. It was remixed by George Martin's Son from the original individual tracks to the bands original notes. The reason he remixed it was because the stereo mix was an afterthought at the time and did not have the same care as the mono mix because it was the prevalent format at the time.

Here's the NPR podcast interviewing Giles about the remix.
https://www.npr.org/2017/06/01/5310...-sgt-pepper-to-bring-it-into-the-modern-world

I'll submit humbly anything produced by Mutt Lange. He had his hand in about every fantastic rock album of the late 70's and 80's.

Last edited:

Blaspheme

FKA twigs - M3LL155X
Excellent list overall—a while back now but the thread has resurfaced—thought I'd emphasis this one. In the early post-Tyl days of the doomed Inner Fidelity blog, Rafe Arnott mentioned the first track Figure 8 as good test material. I forgave him everything for putting me on to that (also, I'd unwittingly bought the headphones Tyl hated). Basically if your system can keep its shit together playing that at volume you may be on to something. The EP is well recorded, has some usefully deep sub-bass, and ranges from sparseness to electronic chaos, along with twigs' extraordinary voice.

The self-produced YT video has a somewhat different rendition of Glass & Patron—so use the real thing for testing—but you get to see twigs dance (briefly but superbly) with vogueing legend Tamsier Joof:

Last edited:

UCrazyKid

Excellent list overall—a while back now but the thread has resurfaced—thought I'd emphasis this one. In the early post-Tyl days of the doomed Inner Fidelity blog, Rafe Arnott mentioned the first track Figure 8 as good test material. I forgave him everything for putting me on to that (also, I'd unwittingly bought the headphones Tyl hated). Basically if your system can keep its shit together playing that at volume you may be on to something. The EP is well recorded, has some usefully deep sub-bass, and ranges from sparseness to electronic chaos, along with twigs' extraordinary voice.

The self-produced YT video has a somewhat different rendition of Glass & Patron—so use the real thing for testing—but you get to see twigs dance (briefly but superbly) with vogueing legend Tamsier Joof:

Figure 8 is an epic track.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I dunno if you're interested in Talking Heads [I am, recommend the 5.1 remixes in DVD-A], but LCD Soundsystem tickles my ears in much the same way:

VanO

AC/DC: Powerage, Back in Black, Razor's Edge, and Stiff Upper Lip. Also Soul Stripper on Jailbreak '74.
Motley Crue: Girls, Girls, Girls (40th Anniversary Remaster).
Cream: Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears.
Jimi Hendrix: People, Hell & Angels.
The Who: Live at Leeds (Deluxe Edition).
Johnny Winter: The Woodstock Experience.
Judas Priest: Screaming for Vengeance
Molly Hatchet: Flirtin' With Disaster.
Heavy Metal Soundtrack.
Allman Brothers Band: The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings

For something a little different check out:
Della Mae: This World Oft Can Be
Southern Culture on the Skids: For Lovers Only

Robin L

Master Contributor
From Captain Beefheart's audiophile album "Clear Spot":

Robin L

Master Contributor
True audiophile stuff here, Adrian Belew leading King Crimson, have "Elephant Talk" on a DVD-A with a 5.1 mix:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True audiophile stuff here, Adrian Belew leading King Crimson, have "Elephant Talk" on a DVD-A with a 5.1 mix:

Robert fripp and Les Claypool have to get together!

Top Bottom