• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for well recorded/mastered rock music

maxxevv

Major Contributor
My impressions of The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over : XRCD remaster is pretty good.

MRC01

Major Contributor
...Lyle Lovett - mix of rock, blues, country but his first 4 CD's are some of the best sounding CD's in my collection
True. Joshua Judges Ruth and His Large Band have excellent sonics. Not the Rock the OP was asking for, but good music anyway.

patient_ot

I realize that most of their studio albums are released with low DR due to genre (excluding Dire Straits, Petty, Who) which is partly why I'm asking.

Also looking mainly for CD (used or new)/mp3/FLAC.

Thank you in advance!

Many of the bands you listed have had their catalog issued multiple times (in some cases A LOT!) and there is often one or more versions that sound better than others. Some versions will also have better dynamic range than others.

For example, for the Who, the very best version of Who's Next that I've heard is a 2013 CD released only in Japan. That particular mastering isn't available on any domestic releases or lossless downloads. It's also a flat transfer off the master tape and has good dynamic range for a rock album.

patient_ot

Could get hold of the Steven Wilson remaster of Tears for Fears you are in for a shock if you compare the original. Basicly the whole low part is not louder but way more dynamic an more precies. It realy sounds now more like a band. I already had the remaster of Chicago II of Steven Wilson if you listen to the intro from 01 25 Or 6 To 4 you can't hear on the original record/CD the fingers from Terry Kath going over the guitar strings in Steven Wilson remaster you can also way more dynamic. The whole stereo image is changed considerbly imo for the better.

Have a listen to Chicago Intro 01 25 Or 6 To 4:

Steven Wilson's version of Songs from the Big Chair is not just a remaster, it's a full-on remix. While I do like it, I don't think it's a substitute for the original mix. My old 80s Mercury "atomic" logo CD for this album still sounds great as well.

patient_ot

Not exactly your flavor, but AC/DC Back in Black is recognized as one of the better sounding rock albums (check out Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution). Recently read a whole article on an audiophile site about it.

I'd suggest the 80s Barry Diament mastered Atlantic CD for this one.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Steven Wilson's version of Songs from the Big Chair is not just a remaster, it's a full-on remix. While I do like it, I don't think it's a substitute for the original mix. My old 80s Mercury "atomic" logo CD for this album still sounds great as well.
Yes because it is a full-on remix Wilson can make choices. I also find both versions not bad but i like more the Wilson version an that is more a subjective choice. I listen both version in a close monitor situation like 1 meter distance and in a fullrange setup with ful range speakers about 3 meter distance. In the close monitoring setup their is a clear difference but in the full range situation the difference is way bigger regarding imaging etc. It sound more like a band more space between instruments an voices an the low blend much better with the mids an highs than the original. Must say since i'm using roomcorrection all my old (ripped) CD's sound 70% better than before. So mine opinion is dependend of my room acoustics an if I use roomcorrection so quite subjective if i want to compare it to another room or opinions.

Last edited:

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the new Beatles remixes sound incredible, especially the later albums as they were recorded so well to begin with. Abbey Road in particular, Paul's bass playing becomes a significant part of the mix, each note struck distinguishable instead of muddy background.

OP
D

dorirod

Have a listen to Chicago Intro 01 25 Or 6 To 4:

I have The Very Best Of: Only The Beginning and noticed some noise in my version. The remix you posted is much cleaner, but somehow sounds like a slower tempo which I'm not sure I like. Maybe it's a different performance.

Attachments

• 02 - 25 Or 6 To 4 (Remastered).zip
    1 MB · Views: 111

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have The Very Best Of: Only The Beginning and noticed some noise in my version. The remix you posted is much cleaner, but somehow sounds like a slower tempo which I'm not sure I like. Maybe it's a different performance.

Wilson used the original 16 track master tapes.
https://www.allaboutjazz.com/chicago-steven-wilson-remix-by-john-kelman.php
https://www.rhino.com/product/chicago-ii-steven-wilson-remix
If i listen to my full range speaker setup imo it is much better than the original. With my close monitoring setup it is less better.

Last edited:

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you choose what you are listening to based on "sound quality" (a vague term at best), you're doing it wrong - especially in rock and metal. Find good music first, worry about sound quality later.

And the whole DR=SQ is bullshit.

OP
D

dorirod

If you choose what you are listening to based on "sound quality" (a vague term at best), you're doing it wrong - especially in rock and metal. Find good music first, worry about sound quality later.

And the whole DR=SQ is bullshit.

Why can't it be both?? I'm just looking to prioritize my next purchases to be good quality recordings of music I like.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I'm just starting to look at the quality of my albums having gotten a more decent set of headphones and dac/amp. I've read some of the threads on good albums, but I find they're not entirely in my target area. I'm looking for a few choices that are both recorded and mastered cleanly. Since I'm mainly into rock I'd appreciate it any hidden gems in this area. Some of the bands/music that I listen to:
Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder
Dire Straits
Green Day
Soundgarden/Audioslave/any Chris Cornell really
Black Sabath
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Queen
Smashing Pumpkins
The Police
The Who
Tom Petty/Heartbreakers
White Stripes

I realize that most of their studio albums are released with low DR due to genre (excluding Dire Straits, Petty, Who) which is partly why I'm asking.

Also looking mainly for CD (used or new)/mp3/FLAC.

Thank you in advance!
Slightly off your path but the Van Morrison Live album- "Its too late to stop now" is as good a live recording as you will find. (I will stand corrected I'm sure)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Van Halen - 5150

As you can see from my choice of albums, I pretty much stopped listening to pop/rock albums after the 80s :facepalm: . Don't get me wrong... I still listen to music just not whole albums...bits and pieces here and there

Careful with the Joshua Tree- the CD I had was the most ludicrously QUIET album I ever owned. No idea which version , just the bog standard CD bought in the 90s.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprised nobody has suggested Radiohead here. I really like how Ok Computer (XL remastered) generally sounds

raif71

Major Contributor
Careful with the Joshua Tree- the CD I had was the most ludicrously QUIET album I ever owned. No idea which version , just the bog standard CD bought in the 90s.
It is a tad bit quiet but then, I just increase the volume

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a tad bit quiet but then, I just increase the volume
Fair point. But it's a bugger if you are on a shuffle.

OP
D

dorirod

A recommendation from me if anyone is interested, Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 (Remastered Edition) CD is excellent.

I also have Black Sabbath - Reunion (pretty good for a live recording), and Ozzy Osbourne - The Ozzman Cometh (1997). The Ozzman Cometh doesn't seem clean at all. Comparing War Pigs in the two performances it's night and day. Despite Reunion being a live performance, it has a much cleaner recording (or mixing/mastering). I think the War Pigs in the compilation is a much older recording, not cleaned up.

Top Bottom