• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for Mid-20th Century and later classical composers

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
21st Century, Jeremy Soule. Truly, there is some great classical music being composed for video game soundtracks.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@LTig , though I truly love the Misa Criolla, especially the first edition with Ariel Ramirez and the Chalchaleros, it is not truly classical music.
It is Argentine folklore. Typical, classical Argentine folklore.
And, don't even bother with other versions, especially the one from Mercedes Sosa.
The first one I mentioned has very good sound quality too. I use it as "reference" many times, except that the Coro del Socorro is not that well captured.

Cheers!

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
Thanks so much everyone, keep them coming. I am really enjoying this! @JaMaSt My kids are big gaming junkies who grew up on Oblivion and Guild Wars. It was a huge memory relapse to hear those scores again. A whole new vein to tap for me! Thanks for bringing that up.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the magic of the composer Knut Nystedt (1915 - 2014) on this "Immortal BACH"?

You can find his simple trick/secret in my post here.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Shostakovich is always a great 20th Century orchestral option - not as tonally adventurous as other contemporaries, but if you're at all a fan of the symphony from Beethoven through Mahler, then you should definitely check him out.

Shostakovich!

Yes, I recently became loving his Piano Concertos and Piano Quintet by this wonderful recording played by Martin Helmchen (piano), CD LPO-0053 LONDON (2011), as I touched in my post here;

The beginning portion of this beautiful music "II. Andante" also can be heard in Steven Spielberg's movie "Bridge of Spies".

Even though this "II. Andante" of Piano Concerto No.2 F Major is extremely beautiful, the other movements of Piano Concertos No.1 and No.2, as well as those of the Piano Quintet, are also really contemporary and modern with much "interesting contrasts" for my ears and brain of usually rather focusing on early classical music as shared in this my thread.

Last edited:

Guermantes

I would add Gorecki's Symphony No.3 which was quite a hit in the 1990s. It is often included with works by Arvo Part, John Tavener, Peteris Vasks, Sofia Gubaidulina, etc., in the genre of "sacred minimalism".

Interestingly, Arvo Part's tintinnabuli style still uses some serial techniques but the building blocks are harmonically simple so there is not much dissonance evident. The piece Fratres is a good example where he uses a process of expansion in the harmonic voices and rhythms. The result is quite lucid and modern even if it seems to hark back to plainchant.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All with significant output after 1950.
Classical:
Dmitry Shostakovich
Darius Milhaud
Leonard Bernstein
John Adams
Meredith Monk
Osvaldo Golijov
Witold Lutoslawski

Movie Music:
John Williams (duh!)
Nino Rota
James Horner
Randy Newman
I have two Golijov operas. They are an acquired taste. I have not acquired it yet. Only in parts.

but I strongly recommend Piazzolla, especially when done by Gideon Kramer.

I really like John Adams too.

posvibes

I'd like to recommend Aaron Copeland and Leonard Bernstein who kinda offer a synopsis of mythic America in musical form and capture for me as a foreigner something so inately identifiable as American music despite both being steeped in the grand European classical tradition,

And very often it is an absolute hoot!

Guermantes

Some choral music recommendations:

Eric Whitacre for delicious harmonies without too much syrup:

György Ligeti's Lux Aeterna (used in a little film from 1968):

Penderecki: St Luke Passion:

More sacred minimalism from John Tavener, Song for Athene:

Some more Arvo Pärt, Te Deum:

An early work by Messiaen that was fairly influential, O Sacrum Convivium!:

And now for something completely different:

Music707

I like to recommend Valentin Silvestrov. His piano music seems to remind of the romantic era.

Top Bottom