• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for Cheap Speakers for Auro 3d (surround and elevation speakers)?

theshade

I currently use 8030c. I also have energy c-3 which had great measurements for its time and an infinity 3 way as center speaker. I am planning on doing an auro 3d setup. Ideally, I could get 6 8030c's or neumann 6 kh80's for surrounds and elevation speakers. Practically I think it would be better to get lower priced speakers as surrounds and surrounds height and use my existing energy as front heights.

I plan on doing a nearfield setup to minimize spl problems and lower the cost of entry like in the nearfield setup below.
auro 3d.JPG

I have narrowed them down to the following:

1. Adam t5v
adam t5v.png

Pros: $288.61 each here or $1731.66 for 6 speakers. Could get somewhat loud. Easier to deal with the high frequency boost as it has dip switches that could tackle that boost.
Cons: No mounting options. Would have to get generic options. Need to drill the speakers?

2. Pioneer dj vm 50
pioneer dj.png

Pros: Even cheaper at $200 each or $1200 for 6 speakers. Erin recommended this over the jbl 305's.
Cons: No mounting options. Would have to get generic options. Need to drill the speakers?

3. Neumann Kh-80s.
neumann kh80.png

Pros: Can use as is no eq needed, mounting options easier to swallow than genelecs.
Cons: Expensive at $585.54 each $3513.24 for 6 speakers. Spl limitations

4. Sell body parts to get Genelec 8030c's :facepalm:
genelec 8030c.png

Pros: Similar speakers all around, Great spins
Cons: Very expensive at $798.09 each or $4788.54 for 6 speakers, mounting options are also very pricey.

Can also use this as mount if I don't do separate ceiling mounted.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/gravity_ls_331_b.htm

Stole the idea from Sancus and tried to find something cheaper. Thanks again Sancus.

iTPRHOl.jpeg

I can also use my energy c-3 as surrounds or front heights so I would just need 4 speakers.
energy 15 to 30 deg:
energy1530.gif

energy 40, 60 and 75 deg:
frequency_456075.gif

What do you guys think are more important? Front height vs surround bed layer?

Any other recommendations? Thanks!

OP
T

theshade

Passive Solutions

1. Polk r200
polk r200.png

Price: $370.875 each or $2225.25 for 6 speakers

2. Elac DBR-62
elac dbr62.png

Price: $340.90 or $2045.4 for 6 speakers

3. Elac Debut B6.2
elac b6.png

Price: $196.02 each or $1176.12 for 6 speakers

4. Pioneer SP BS22 LR
pioneer bs 22.png

Price: $110.19 each or $661.14 for 6 speakers

It seems that the pioneer SP BS22 LR is the most cost effective for the money with acceptable spins. The Adam t5v also looks like a good buy for the active segment given that its frequency response problems could probably be taken care of by the dip switches. Or to hell with saving some money and go all genelec 8030c's or neumann kh80s? I am worried that the elevation and surround speakers would not be active enough and money could be better spent elsewhere.

What do you guys think? Any other recommendations? Genelec 8020d? Genelec 8010a? Thanks.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget, official Neumann mounts are pricey as well. Because you're using a receiver, I think used KH120s for about same price would be better since you won't need DSP.

I'm not familiar with Energy nor have I been able to get a straight answer on how important "tonal matching" is for surround/height but depending on your mounting options and available height-level real estate, Neumi seems to be most cost effective:

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/neumi_bs5p_take2/

I'd you've never done it before, you may be shocked at how little sound actually comes out of height/surround during upmixing so I suggest starting as cheap as possible although I do agree the "tonal matching" concept is probably relevant for front heights.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have nothing useful to add, because I just use a basic Q Acoustics surround setup, but omg that Genelec surround rig you posted is insane. A boy can dream... Sigh.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you driving them from an AVR or SSP? If the latter, do you already have amps?

What are the aesthetic concerns?

OP
T

theshade

Are you driving them from an AVR or SSP? If the latter, do you already have amps?

What are the aesthetic concerns?
Avr. No aesthetic concerns. They may be as ugly or beautiful as you like. Thanks

OP
T

theshade

I have nothing useful to add, because I just use a basic Q Acoustics surround setup, but omg that Genelec surround rig you posted is insane. A boy can dream... Sigh.
Yeah one can dream right. :)

OP
T

theshade

What did you decide on?
An oculus quest 2 with a lot of games! Decided to wait for a review here of dirac receivers like pioneer or onkyo before i pull the trigger. Though i havent decided on which speakers to get.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I had to look up GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :p

The good news is that you're not limited by great options...the bad news, you're only limited by your budget and imagination. ;)

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Used KEF KHT3001 5.1 set or even better KHT3001SE. What you will find useful are the satellites for surround duty (3001 & 3001SE) Will be cheap and measure quite flat plus excellent directivity and placement flexibility due to the included dual fixing support (self standing or wall mounted, tilt and angle adjustment).

The “SE” edition includes the technologies that later ended up being the Blades, stiffened midrange with liquid polymer ribs (very low distortion) and the very first KEF speaker to sport the “tangerine waveguide”. Rounded solid aluminum cabinet and downfiring port assures you resonance free, and the concave vessel plus Uni-Q assures you diffraction free speaker.

Top Bottom