• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for active compact desktop speakers w/USB

techguypaul

Looking for recommendations for an active desktop speakers w/USB input for a gift.
I was thinking about the original KEF LSX. However my experience with the LS-50 Wireless II is they’re too complicated for this user.
Simple, reliable, compact with great performance that can play at a moderately loud level.
Something like a Genelec 8010a with a USB input would be great.
Budget is whatever the least amount is to achieve the above goals.
Thanks in advance.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That the speaker must have its own DAC is needlessly limiting.
Whether this person plugs PC->USB->Monitor or PC->dongle->3.5 to RCA->Monitor will make little difference, but in turn you'll have access to much more, better, and cheaper speakers.

Heck, you could plug the cable into the dongle
41ODwOsjJYL.__AC_SY445_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg -> kd-3.5mm-cinch-2_d6deccbd-0424-47b7-aac2-8f6793d41167_600x.jpg
Then heat shrink them together to make it one solid USB to RCA cable.

For the dongle, I'd get either an Apple 2049 or Ugreen 80583.
For the speaker, iLoud Micro or Genelec G One probably.

If you're not a fan of the heat shrink idea, you can get solid USB to RCA cables on Amazon with a DAC inside

OP
T

techguypaul

That the speaker must have its own DAC is needlessly limiting.
Whether this person plugs PC->USB->Monitor or PC->dongle->3.5 to RCA->Monitor will make little difference, but in turn you'll have access to much more, better, and cheaper speakers.

Heck, you could plug the cable into the dongle
View attachment 249147 -> View attachment 249146
Then heat shrink them together to make it one solid USB to RCA cable.

For the dongle, I'd get either an Apple 2049 or Ugreen 80583.
For the speaker, iLoud Micro or Genelec G One probably.

If you're not a fan of the heat shrink idea, you can get solid USB to RCA cables on Amazon with a DAC inside
That’s an interesting idea. I always assumed that the Apple dongle is a dac & amp? Probably sound better than the sound card in the pc.
Guess I could use something like a Hidizs S9 Pro and go balanced.
Was hoping for a high quality integrated DAC that would reduce digital to analog conversions and help reduce noise.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Guess I could use something like a Hidizs S9 Pro and go balanced.
2.5mm to XLR into active speakers can potentially kill the DAC, due to the port's lack of GND connection.
If you want to go balanced, get a DAC with XLR, 1/4" TRS, or fully featured 4.4mm Pentaconn port.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I always assumed that the Apple dongle is a dac & amp?
That there's an amp inside doesn't matter. You can use every headphone out (except estat) as though it were a line out.

Was hoping for a high quality integrated DAC that would reduce digital to analog conversions
It wouldn't, though. On its way from the PC's hard drive to your ears, your music must go through at least one DAC.

With PC->USB->Monitor DAC->Monitor Amp->Drivers there's one DAC.
With PC->USB->external DAC (dongle)->Monitor Amp->Drivers there's also one DAC.
The number of digital to analog conversions stays the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom