• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for acoustic treatments? Mixed use room for music, gaming, and movies.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could even take some basotect panels and cut them into a 3D shape. (So they look like the Gotham absorber) . So already some people do that :)
Problem with basotect is that it’s mostly an absorber.

I thought of doing a Lego setup glued to the panels. But really I feel like i’m getting more into appearance than into sound improvement.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Problem with basotect is that it’s mostly an absorber.

I thought of doing a Lego setup glued to the panels. But really I feel like i’m getting more into appearance than into sound improvement.

Yeah true. But basotect is really nice since it's so easy to manipulate Into whatever shape you want.

I have a few panels that I did put into IKEA shelfs behind CDs and stuff so there is something in there at least. And a few are behind canvas pictures or spots where I don't necessary want to trill holes into walls.

But the stuff from Gik accustic or addictive sounds is really great if you are more or less handy with tools.

Got 2 of those here and they are very good quality.

Bass traps will be next. After that probably a few accustic pictures and probably

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah true. But basotect is really nice since it's so easy to manipulate Into whatever shape you want.

I have a few panels that I did put into IKEA shelfs behind CDs and stuff so there is something in there at least. And a few are behind canvas pictures or spots where I don't necessary want to trill holes into walls.

But the stuff from Gik accustic or addictive sounds is really great if you are more or less handy with tools.

Got 2 of those here and they are very good quality.

Bass traps will be next. After that probably a few accustic pictures and probably
All my stuff is GIK so it’s stuffed with 6” of ecose. My question is to make the front panels less scattering and more diffusing.

I’m talking about their 2D-a design alpha panels.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
All my stuff is GIK so it’s stuffed with 6” of ecose. My question is to make the front panels less scattering and more diffusing.

I’m talking about their 2D-a design alpha panels.

I'm sure GIK accustic will be able to help you out with that question. I need a bunch of those alpha panels as well.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure GIK accustic will be able to help you out with that question. I need a bunch of those alpha panels as well.
The thing is that they only have one true diffusion offering. Which is the N23 Gotham. I ordered 2. Honestly they will be more decoration than anything else where I have them.

It seems people like to put those between their speakers. I have no idea why. It seems like to me that it’s more for “street cred”.

If I were to place them maybe I would on the back wall and front wall in further position that than just to allow for those further walls to scatter the sound and maybe the room will sound “bigger”

The room is already 35x16x10. So there’s no point. My advisor there pretty much wanted to tell me in a nice that i’m done. Anything more would be a waste.

It’s just me obsessed with “maybe that corner needs more traps” etc

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The thing is that they only have one true diffusion offering. Which is the N23 Gotham. I ordered 2. Honestly they will be more decoration than anything else where I have them.

It seems people like to put those between their speakers. I have no idea why. It seems like to me that it’s more for “street cred”.

If I were to place them maybe I would on the back wall and front wall in further position that than just to allow for those further walls to scatter the sound and maybe the room will sound “bigger”

The room is already 35x16x10. So there’s no point. My advisor there pretty much wanted to tell me in a nice that i’m done. Anything more would be a waste.

It’s just me obsessed with “maybe that corner needs more traps” etc

I would put the N23 on the back wall as well.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would put the N23 on the back wall as well.

Here’s the thing. I calculated what it would cost me to outfit all the bare wall of my room with N23 diffusers. That would be $6k+

Then there is this: MBQQ 4-Tiers 63inch Industrial Pipe Shelving,Rustic Wooden&Metal Floating Shelves,Home Decor Shelves Wall Mount with Wine Rack,Decorative Accent Wall Book Shelf for Kitchen or Office Organizer,Black https://a.co/d/behRmsc

With $230 and some books/CDs/legos/action figures etc I bet you can get some decent diffusion. Will it be as good? Probably not. But will it be $5500 worse? Somehow I doubt it. And I’ve left $300 in the budget for the random Knick knacks you will need to place in them.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are even more useful.

MBQQ Industrial Retro Pipe Shelf 63in 2 Tier Wall Mounted,Rustic Floating Shelves,Farmhouse Kitchen Bar Shelving,Home Decor Book Shelves,DIY Bookshelf Hanging Wall Shelves,Black
https://a.co/d/60GYLnt

Some may need 3 tier. Either way it’s so much cheaper and can be made decorative.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
These are even more useful.

MBQQ Industrial Retro Pipe Shelf 63in 2 Tier Wall Mounted,Rustic Floating Shelves,Farmhouse Kitchen Bar Shelving,Home Decor Book Shelves,DIY Bookshelf Hanging Wall Shelves,Black
https://a.co/d/60GYLnt

Some may need 3 tier. Either way it’s so much cheaper and can be made decorative.

I doubt some Legos and CDs will give the same results. That's like using a couch as bass trap. Sure it's better than nothing and probably alright... But definitely not the same.

Anyway I wouldn't spend 5-6k on it either

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt some Legos and CDs will give the same results. That's like using a couch as bass trap. Sure it's better than nothing and probably alright... But definitely not the same.

Anyway I wouldn't spend 5-6k on it either
There is some good depth there to play with wooden blocks or even slats. You could get results better than 5” N23 diffusers. Just speaking from the depth you have available.

Now whether you will get mathematically accurate results is another matter.

Perhaps the N23 is better option in a smaller space. In a larger space as I have I doubt it’s that critical.

None of these will be closer than 6’ to my listening position. Most of them will be much further.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then also buy 10 bags of these. I mean 9.8” depth and what you can do with that beats 5” of the n23.

Supla 20pcs 2 inch Wooden Cubes Unfinished Wood Blocks for Wood Crafts, Wooden Cubes, Wood Blocks, Great for Baby Showers (20pcs) https://a.co/d/fYwRbmS

Top Bottom