• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for a low profile/small open back headphone for office use

38yEj5SxGA

Looking to get some low profile/minimal/small open back headphones to use in the office. I have a pair of AKG K702's at home, and although they sound great, they are pretty huge and don't travel well.

I am not a fan of IEM's, except for portable use. I prefer a bit more breathing room when listening, so open back is a must. I don't crank the volume, so bleeding isn't an issue either.

Ideally, something small that fits in my bag, is open back and sounds great. I can EQ with the Q5K, so a wonky frequency response isn't a deal breaker, would prefer build quality/durability with something that EQ's well with my Qudelix 5K.

TIA

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grado comes to mind, I had the 325 and really liked it. They have excellent driver matching too. The 225 or higher are really good, hand made and the pair I had felt durable. The Hifiman HE400se in a hard case would be a good sound out-of-the-box option. The pairs I had felt like they could take some travel compared to the heavier HE4xx which I wouldn't trust for much bouncing around. They're easy to power so you'd have EQ headroom. The only other travel wired I'd recommend are closed back, the AKG K371Pro (not the bluetooth or the standard version, they aren't as good). Out of the box great sound and compact too. Can't go wrong with Grado and a small travel hard case though.

OP

38yEj5SxGA

Thanks guys, good suggestions. I really like the look of the kph30i's, and they come with a mic as well, so handy for conference calls. The K371's look great also, but they are really expensive here in Australia, costing more than the K702's for some bizarre reason ($190USD), otherwise I would probably snap them up. Also the 371's are closed back, so not ideal for me either.

Top Bottom