• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for a combined desktop setup

MusicMatt

I'm hoping to get some recommendations on a combined system for my home office where I can also now use speakers and a sub.

I need the system to:
  • Have at least Bluetooth but ideally network connections to stream from computers and phones.
  • Play through headphones or speakers and a sub (2.1 only, no surround needed).
  • Have DSP or room correction (my office space isn't ideal)
  • Be as compact and as few boxes as possible (open to wall mounts or stands if they accommodate a standing desk)
  • Maximize sonic transparency and usability

I was planning to build my own speakers from CSS Audio but am open to other DIY ideas or powered monitors that combine functions like Genelec or Kef LS50 wireless speakers. I'm also comfortable building other components like a Raspberry-Pi streamer or speaker amp. I was thinking something like a streaming DAC with headphone out and an amp with sub out, a small streamer/DSP/DAC to an integrated amp of some kind with both speaker and headphone amplification, or even two separate systems like the KEFs and an all-in-on headphone system. I haven't seen any truly "all-in-one" systems that meet do what I want so far.

I don't have a set budget, as I can piece some of it together, but I don't want to spend more than $5k on the system and would rather be closer to $1-2k and save money where possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
So many options it's hard to know where to start. Can you narrow it down any, or is that the problem that's got you asking?

OP
M

MusicMatt

So many options it's hard to know where to start. Can you narrow it down any, or is that the problem that's got you asking?
That's it exactly. I can think of a number of ways to get what I'm looking for, but none are "perfect" unless they're wildly expensive. I'm also very certain there is a product somewhere I haven't heard of that might work well.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Any number of pro audio manufacturers have active sub and monitors you could drive from a 2 channel source. Genelec and Neumann have options that could look after the EQ for you if the source can't, and their software should make it relatively quick and easy. Or you could use a source that can do it as documented in the several CamillaDSP threads, Moode, Volumio, daphile etc.

I had expected the LS50W to include PEQ as the hardware is almost certainly capable, but I don't see it which I guess is why it's not perfect with one of their subs. I guess it's the same with most of these all-in-one speakers. Devialet probably do everything but at the wildly expensive end.

The MiniDSP SHD Power probably gets pretty close - add passive speakers and a powered sub of your choice. Not sure what their Volumio variant is like, or whether you can add a bluetooth dongle.

Or you can go full DIY with something like HifiBerry's DSP amps, Hypex FusionAmps, Sure/Wondom's JAB series (resold by Dayton and I think someone else), and feed them from a streamer. Heissmann activated a DXT-MON with a previous Hypex plate amp version, have a customer build report activating one with one of the MiniDSP plate amps, and use FusionAmps in some of their bigger models. Or the SEAS KingRo4y as built by a member who drives it from the Node2i - not cheap, but probably doesn't need the sub:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/seas-kingro4y-mk3-kit.16240/post-589632

OP
M

MusicMatt

Thanks, those are some very good recommendations. The main reason I was strongly considering the DIY speaker route, which I omitted in the original post to save space, is that I'm also building an office desk and will have enough wood that I should be able to do a matching veneer for the speakers and possibly a sub.

OP
M

MusicMatt

I was doing some browsing, and it looks like there are some great integrated devices for both passive or active speakers including headphone amp, but they are expensive and I'm sure the S/N and THD+N are for the amp and don't mean anything about the quality of the headphone section.
HiFi Rose has both a streamer and amp for $2,500 and $2,200 respectively.
Cambridge Audio's Evo 75 looks pretty good too for $2,500
The NAD M33 even has DIRAC, but it's my max by itself at $5,999

Edit: Forgot to mention that Cambridge is using Hypex NCore amps too.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
NAD C399 or the new C389, additionally equipped with the Dirac Live/BluOS Module ;)
You can also equalize your headphones using DL.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
How about a used Yamaha AVR? You can pick them up for around $50 bucks since they don't support eARC or whatever that is. And they have full DSP and room correction.
From what I recall some even have that swedish software I can think of right now that comes with MiniDSP for room correction built in.

Its an all in one unit. Remote. Can be used over a network. Has a headphone output. Has Bluetooth. I think it checks all your boxes in one package. You can always hide the AVR away and use the remote with an IR blaster, your phone, or over the network with their own software.

Its seems that this would be the ideal way to get a cheap and cheerful setup for your office and even have the AVR Run your Subs if you choose to go that route since you have extra channels to work with.

In a small office space, seems like that would be just the ticket for building your own speakers.
So what speakers do you plan to build?

OP
M

MusicMatt

NAD C399 or the new C389, additionally equipped with the Dirac Live/BluOS Module ;)
You can also equalize your headphones using DL.
Thanks @pogo ! I hadn't seen that one before, the 389 looks like the "cheapest" way to get an all in one and stats aren't too bad either. That's a definite possibilitiy.

How about a used Yamaha AVR? You can pick them up for around $50 bucks since they don't support eARC or whatever that is. And they have full DSP and room correction.
From what I recall some even have that swedish software I can think of right now that comes with MiniDSP for room correction built in.

Its an all in one unit. Remote. Can be used over a network. Has a headphone output. Has Bluetooth. I think it checks all your boxes in one package. You can always hide the AVR away and use the remote with an IR blaster, your phone, or over the network with their own software.

Its seems that this would be the ideal way to get a cheap and cheerful setup for your office and even have the AVR Run your Subs if you choose to go that route since you have extra channels to work with.

In a small office space, seems like that would be just the ticket for building your own speakers.
So what speakers do you plan to build?
Thanks @iMickey503 ! I hadn't considered that before, I actually have an old Yamaha of some kind in the basement somewhere, though I can't remember the model or if it had Bluetooth, worth investigating for sure. You made a point that I hadn't considered before that I find intriguing. I can always get (or keep my current) separate headphone amp for my desktop, as that's the only thing that really needs a cord attached to me. I could just cobble together a system of components in a ventilated enclosure or cabinet that would also be useful in general in an office. As long as that had a streamer attached it doesn't matter where in the room it is relative to my desk.

I'm likely to go with the CSS Audio P215-X but build the cabinet out of Baltic Birch plywood instead of MDF, if I can find some. Though @somebodyelse got me really interested in that SEAS KingRo4y. They look amazing, but for that money I can build the P215's get an SVS 3000 Micro or similar (or even DIY that) and still have money left to go towards everything else.

Feel free to tune out at this point, but the reason I'm strongly in favor of DIY is that I have access to either some 250ish year old reclaimed heart pine floorboards or some black walnut planks from a tree that feel over in a storm on our property (it was an old tree). I'm going to use one of those to DIY a sit/stand desktop and even a cabinet that could store things (including audio components?) for my office, and I'd like to shave a veneer off the same material and use it for DIY speakers and/or sub.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Tune out? Never! Those with an eye for the craft are gods among men. Wood and its grain & tones has such a warm and calming effect that has been shown to improve mood, outlook, and happiness.
il_1140xN.2365135205_9fh8.jpg

When you reclaim wood, you are giving something that was destined to sit dormant and rot away a new lifelong purpose that may be around for 100's of years, providing enjoyment to not only you? But countless others.

How many people BUILD something these days that really is made to last, be serviced, and stand the test of time these days?

Even cooking meals, I still prefer to use a Wood Board. And unlike plastic? It can be refinished.
1653685676812.jpeg
And the sound of cutting or chopping on a wood board is better too! :)
iron-wood-endgrain-cutting-board.jpg

When is something like this ever going to go out of style or wane in fashion? Or lose its value? Its not!
IMG_20191204_112505_0004_Layer_1_large.jpg

One of the most satisfying builds I have seen was not a speaker but a Van that Rich and Steveon did with his woodwork. Wood was all sourced by him from a tree, but he cut it down himself and made all the wood cuts himself.
1653686787727.png

Besides, the fun in this hobby is about the details.
Build of the van if anyone is interested.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
^ There should be a one hit special use button for the website, Like 1+n :)

OP
M

MusicMatt

@iMickey503 I won't lay claim to a title like that, but I appreciate the sentiment. I agree that too many things are cheap or single use today and am hoping they'll last a LOOOONG time :) and that is a really awesome van!

Top Bottom