• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for a Bluetooth speaker

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi All,
Any recommendations for a portable, preferably rugged, Bluetooth speaker - mid price (under £200 GBP).
It's for a gift to a teenager. She won't really care but I'd like her to get reasonable sound in her student room.

Plenty of recommendations on What-HiFi etc ... but I'm now wary of these sites.

JBL?

Tia

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Have a look at ultimate ears (a Logitech brand) mega boom. I have an earlier version And it is excellent. Alternatively I’ve given an anker speaker as a Gift at around £50 and the sound is amazing for the money. have a look at the motion boom at about double that. I suspect it would be very good.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Hi All,
Any recommendations for a portable, preferably rugged, Bluetooth speaker - mid price (under £200 GBP).
It's for a gift to a teenager. She won't really care but I'd like her to get reasonable sound in her student room.

JBL?

Tia
I have several suggestions, they are speakers that I own and whose sound quality I can testify.

Dockin dfine: quite large in size, but full sound, it easily fills a room with good music, maybe a little boomy but in a pleasant way.

Tribix maxsound plus: low cost but absolutely excellent audio quality, quite light and portable.

Bose soundlink flex, typical Bose boomy sound, but beautiful, solid, waterproof. The most expensive of the lot.

Any of these will fully satisfy any teenager

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
The Soundcore Motion+ is very good value for money. I got mine for 70€. It goes really loud, has great battery life and you can store custom EQ presets on the device. Also, it doesn't sound too bad for what it is. And despite some other models, you can still connect a 3,5mm plug to it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have both the Motion+ and Motion Boom. The latter is even better value than the Plus and (afaik) the current value king.
Best feature is a 9-band GEQ, allowing for basic frequency response correction and calibration to the room.
Screenshot_20220427-173219.jpg

Last edited:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
The Motion plus is very good. I have that one. The Motion Boom (which I don't own) sounds like a better option for bass heavy listening. I recently got the Tribit Xsound Mega. It's a great deal right now selling for about $60us - loud, good bass, fun light if she'd like that and maybe a bit more portable than either the Motion plus or boom.

Federico__

Hi All,

JBL?

Tia

Have a look at vibespeaker. https://vibespeaker.co It’s a very very small bluetooth speaker with a bone conduction technology, you can place it in any surface and it will sound, it’s incredible! Also it’s made with good materials and it has a usage time of 6 hours. The sound is really loud for the smallness. i got mine for 30€.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Have a look at vibespeaker. https://vibespeaker.co It’s a very very small bluetooth speaker with a bone conduction technology, you can place it in any surface and it will sound, it’s incredible! Also it’s made with good materials and it has a usage time of 6 hours. The sound is really loud for the smallness. i got mine for 30€.
I own one, it's a fun toy to place it on various surfaces and hear how it makes them sound. But there really is nothing further from the concept of "good sound"

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was in the BT speaker industry a few years ago... I'd recommend UE Megaboom or something from the SoundCore / Anker lines. JBL also sounds pretty good for the most part, and surprisingly the House of Marley Bag of Riddim ended up being one of our reference speakers. It has exposed paper cones which is a big issue for dorm parties, but having listened to dozens and dozens of BT speakers over the years, it still remained in our reference stable for a long time as an overall pleasant speaker to listen to.

Anker was the only manufacturer that truly scared me in terms of price/performance back then, but the price aspect is a bigger strength than SQ.

If you want to spend a lot more and ensure hearing damage for everyone involved, the Soundboks line is your ticket. They sound OK and can go extremely loud for a portable unit, size be damned.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Whenever you are planning to buy a Bluetooth speaker, always look for its features like Bluetooth version, audio quality, size of the speaker, connectivity like USB or AUX, water resistance, battery life, and wired input.

There are some that cost very little, but others can be a lot of money. Depending on what you want, go for the best you can as the quality and performance will be better - go for a cheap one if it is for something like traveling, and you will leave it behind and not worry about it.

A brand like iGear offers a wide variety of Bluetooth speakers and retro Bluetooth speakers. For sure, you can buy iGear Bluetooth speakers.
two posts, two posts advertising the same brand.
This is spam

Top Bottom