• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for a 6-8ch power amp and audio interface?

sep

Hello, I want to output 6-channel audio from a computer to 6 ceiling-mounted pendant speakers. For the speaker, I'm considering the JBL Control 65 P/T, which has a power capacity of

75 Watts Continuous Pink Noise Power (with 300 Watts peaks)
150 Watts Continuous Program Power

so, if I'm not mistaken, I need to connect the computer to an audio interface with 6+ch output and then each of the 6 outputs into an amp with 6+ ins and outs, and then each of the 6 outs into each of the speakers.

For the amp, an employee for a Japanese audio-hardware seller (Hibino) recommends the Crown CT8150, which has 125w output for each channel. (A little on the weak side but should be alright, right?) It's a little expensive though. Someone on reddit recommended this inexpensive amp on Amazon, but it's not sold in Japan, so I'd be grateful for any other economic suggestions. (We'd like to be able to get it soon for testing)

Looking for an interface right now too and happy to receive any affordable recommendations.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you want 6 ceiling mounted pendant speakers in the first place? What's the purpose of the room? Why would you need more than 125 wpc?

OP
S

sep

Why would you want 6 ceiling mounted pendant speakers in the first place? What's the purpose of the room? Why would you need more than 125 wpc?
It's for an installation where the speakers would be hovering over a long bar counter to have spatialized sound.

And this is my first time buying/setting up passive speakers and amps. I've read and been told that it's better for amps to be a little strong than too weak (because if the power is too weak, the input signal gets clipped). What is the minimum I would need with those speaker power specs? 75? The sound we'll be outputting won't need to be extremely loud.

For the audio interface I'm looking at some KOMPLETE interfaces with 6 outputs... though outputs 5 and 6 are in a single SPDIF output, which I've never used- can it be split into two outputs?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How are you planning to provide spatial audio with 6 ceiling mounted speakers? Some dsp of sorts? Usually in ceiling mounted speakers in a commercial setting you're better off with mono playback IMO, and depending on dimensions perhaps even a 70V/100V system. The CT8150 would likely be a good amp in any case.

Do you want to drown out conversation? This for dancing or? How far above the counter will the speakers be? What spl levels are you trying to achieve in other words....which will determine the amp needed for particular speakers....and if high spl is wanted I'd think about more capable speakers.

ps your link didn't work for the bar....

Last edited:
OP
S

sep

How are you planning to provide spatial audio with 6 ceiling mounted speakers? Some dsp of sorts? Usually in ceiling mounted speakers in a commercial setting you're better off with mono playback IMO, and depending on dimensions perhaps even a 70V/100V system. The CT8150 would likely be a good amp in any case.

Do you want to drown out conversation? This for dancing or? How far above the counter will the speakers be? What spl levels are you trying to achieve in other words....which will determine the amp needed for particular speakers....and if high spl is wanted I'd think about more capable speakers.

ps your link didn't work for the bar....
It was my first forum post, but it looks like no one was able to view it (whence no replies). Below is a screenshot. The purpose is an audio visual presentation where guests sit and watch a projection on the countertop/plates. We'd like to have sound that moves left-to-right over the counter. And yes, for the output we'd use a software like Pure Data to output 6channel audio from the audio interface.

I've seen that ceiling speakers can be chained together to output the same signal to them, but for this plan I'm sure we'd need to have separate inputs into each of them.

For the SPL,, we'd probably want about the volume of a classical chamber-music concert (at close range)- so nothing super loud, but a nice range of volume.

Good to know the CT8150 would be a good match. Anyone know of any discount alternatives?

1660188105045.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not familiar with Pure Data or how it handles multich audio, like a sweep left to right across 6 speakers lined up in a row. Can't say I've heard of anything like that, but should be possible with the right programming. I think the amp and speakers will work, not sure how well the dsp will handle the audio steering. Yes, generally there's a post limit before links can be posted (and usually a post dump thread somewhere where you can easily increase your post count otoh).

OP
S

sep

Not familiar with Pure Data or how it handles multich audio, like a sweep left to right across 6 speakers lined up in a row. Can't say I've heard of anything like that, but should be possible with the right programming. I think the amp and speakers will work, not sure how well the dsp will handle the audio steering. Yes, generally there's a post limit before links can be posted (and usually a post dump thread somewhere where you can easily increase your post count otoh).
Do you think a small 60w-per-channel amp would be too weak for the speakers mentioned in my first post? Something like this?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think a small 60w-per-channel amp would be too weak for the speakers mentioned in my first post? Something like this?
Until you answer the spl specifics, hard to know....altho I tend to think it would be quite sufficient from what you've posted so far. Usually you're only using a few watts in most applications at a given time outside of extremes of distance/spl given the general range of sensitivity of speakers.

OP
S

sep

Until you answer the spl specifics, hard to know....altho I tend to think it would be quite sufficient from what you've posted so far. Usually you're only using a few watts in most applications at a given time outside of extremes of distance/spl given the general range of sensitivity of speakers.

Thinking of trying three of these. The manufacturer recommends the much more powerful and expensive CROWN XLS 1002, but maybe we don't need that...

Just tested an amp similar to the Dayton, but more powerful (150w) with the Yamaha VXC4W (NOISE 30w, PGM 60w, Max 120w) and setting the volume knob to like 60% gives a nice big sound. What does PGM stand for btw?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pgm probably stands for program, rather than peak. Hard to know without more info. The Crown XLS amps are good performers, I have several but perhaps not what's ideal in your application. Your speakers/placement are more a concern.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP, is this a permanent install? Sounds like a neat experience for your customers. I like Crown for reliability and would generally go for a pro amp for commercial use. The price is indeed higher but at least where I am, these sort of amps tend to hold good resell value.

OP
S

sep

OP, is this a permanent install? Sounds like a neat experience for your customers. I like Crown for reliability and would generally go for a pro amp for commercial use. The price is indeed higher but at least where I am, these sort of amps tend to hold good resell value.
So we did some tests today using the JBL Control 65P. We tried it with a cheapo amp (Dayton Audio DTA-120) and with the Crown CT4150. The difference is of course noticeable but the price difference is huge. According to the sales rep, Crown XLS-1002 and JBL Pro CSA-2120 produce a similar sound to the CT4150/8150.

Any recommendations for cost-effection options in between super-cheap and super-pro? I only need 6 channels, so a set of three 2ch amps is just fine.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So we did some tests today using the JBL Control 65P. We tried it with a cheapo amp (Dayton Audio DTA-120) and with the Crown CT4150. The difference is of course noticeable but the price difference is huge. According to the sales rep, Crown XLS-1002 and JBL Pro CSA-2120 produce a similar sound to the CT4150/8150.

Any recommendations for cost-effection options in between super-cheap and super-pro? I only need 6 channels, so a set of three 2ch amps is just fine.
OP, where are you located so folks can try to search the local market?

A few cheapish options:
Crown XLi 800
Crown XLS-1002
Dayton APA150
Behringer KM750 and similar

OP
S

sep

OP, where are you located so folks can try to search the local market?

A few cheapish options:
Crown XLi 800
Crown XLS-1002
Dayton APA150
Behringer KM750 and similar
Japan! The Behringer seems to be available here. It's about twice as much as the Dayton DTA-120, I wonder if it sounds much better.

OP
S

sep

The Dayton DTA-120 randomly doesn't work if you leave it on a long time. Considering the following options instead:

SAMSON Servo 200
CLASSIC PRO CPL150
BEHRINGER KM750 (@spacevector 's ecommendation)

Top Bottom