• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for 2.1 system

OP
S

sophie smith

I'm going to assume that this unit was rated 4 ohms, since manufacturers like to write higher watts on their boxes to get people to buy the higher watts units.
So to estimate your amp's performance, it would be 20wpc@4ohm, and approx 10wpc@8ohm.
In other words, the Loxjie A30 would be a decent upgrade to your amp, for not much $.
As far as I understand, the power output of the tube amps does not change in the same manner as SS amps. I think it is rated for 20 wpc at both 4 and 8 ohm. The rest of the physics is beyond me.

TankTop

The SVS doesn’t need a high pass filter as it’s designed correctly, a high pass filter is to keep your sub from bottoming out, at your listening levels it’s a moot point. I don’t have any experience with monoprice but they are well regarded for just about everything they make. They have a 50WPC A/B amp with tube pre amp for $165 including pre outs (for your subwoofer) and Bluetooth.
Many her will question your choice of tubes but if you get one properly designed it won’t matter and you can enjoy the beautiful glow. That said tube pre amp with class A/B amp is probably the way to go.
Focal Aria 906 with SVS SB3000 properly setup for music is a near impossible combination to beat for your office.
It has its downsides but the Paradigm PW amp with Anthem Room Correct for $250 would be a fantastic setup.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The SVS doesn’t need a high pass filter as it’s designed correctly, a high pass filter is to keep your sub from bottoming out, at your listening levels it’s a moot point.

I’m not sure if this was in reference to my previous post, but just in case it was, I should clarify: I wasn’t suggesting @sophie smith should look for a sub with a high-pass filter for the sub, but rather that she should look for a sub that has a high-pass filter for the speakers.

Not sure how feasible that is in the price range though as I’ve been out of the game for some time (certainly wasn’t the norm last time I checked FWIW).

TankTop

I’m not sure if this was in reference to my previous post, but just in case it was, I should clarify: I wasn’t suggesting @sophie smith should look for a sub with a high-pass filter for the sub, but rather that she should look for a sub that has a high-pass filter for the speakers.

Not sure how feasible that is in the price range though as I’ve been out of the game for some time (certainly wasn’t the norm last time I checked FWIW).
She mentioned RCA out from DAC to sub the out from Sub to (tube) amplifier. The SVS will handle all crossovers via phone app.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
She mentioned RCA out from DAC to sub the out from Sub to (tube) amplifier. The SVS will handle all crossovers via phone app.

Ok :)

The reason I was not sure is that, on the SVS page for the SB2000 Pro, for example, it mentions that there is an adjustable low-pass filter for the sub, but doesn’t seem to mention a high-pass filter for the output to the speaker amp. So I thought maybe it was just a pass-through.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That should do the trick then..
Thanks

FYI, have just read through the SB2000 Pro manual, and the speaker out from the sub is just a pass-through, i.e. it won’t high-pass filter the signal going to your speakers. I would consider this suboptimal personally. Not sure how you feel about it, but just thought it should be clarified..

OP
S

sophie smith

FYI, have just read through the SB2000 Pro manual, and the speaker out from the sub is just a pass-through, i.e. it won’t high-pass filter the signal going to your speakers. I would consider this suboptimal personally. Not sure how you feel about it, but just thought it should be clarified..
Thanks.
I guess I am going to keep looking for one with high pass.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

TBH, this thread got me interested in this problem in general, so I did some further research. As it turns out, it seems that very few (if any) subs in your price range seem to have such a feature, unfortunately. (Would love to be corrected by another member on this point, though... :) )

Perhaps this is something you should compromise on at this stage, and just buy a sub without such a filter?

You can always add a DSP-based crossover later to (a) high-pass filter the signal going to your speakers and (b) correct the in-room bass response.

lherrm

There probably are cheaper options, but you have :

- Focal SUB 6, made in France, low-pass and hi-pass, 1200€ here in France.
focal_sub_6.png

- Neumann KH 750, german brand but don't know where they're made, low and hi-pass, 1300€ in Europe.

neumann_kh_750.png

neumann_kh_750_2.png

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks.

I have an older HSU, that will take the high level amplifier output with high passed speaker outputs.

I think this used to be more common before they figured everybody was just running them out of receivers.

Capture+_2020-11-15-09-53-13_copy_800x692.png

Edit:. I don't believe that is a high passed signal... Pretty sure it is a full range pass through.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adam Sub7 and Sub8 have a fixed high pass at 85hz or you can passthrough. If 85hz would work for you the Sub7 is $700 the Sub8 $900 but you can find used or b stock cheaper on Reverb.
Edit: Cheaper Presonus Temblor T8 has a fixed 80hz HPF. They're about $350

Last edited:
OP
S

sophie smith

Thanks.
I like the options. Not in a hurry to buy. Can wait until there is a good deal to be had on Focal or Neumann subs.
Unfortunately, now with the COVID, it is not a great time to buy anything, especially European made. Seems like production has been stalled. Acc4less had not had any new Focal or Canton speakers in many months now.

I will also look at the external xover. Had not thought about this before.

Thanks again.

Are there any disadvantages of using HPF? There are some threads on this forum arguing about amp seeing higher peak voltages with the HPF placed before the amp. Also, can signal be distorted by the xover before passing on to the amp?

D

Deleted member 19195

All three of those speakers would be excellent choices. I like Axiom's speakers. They are internet direct. Nothing wrong with considering where your purchases are manufactured.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any disadvantages of using HPF? There are some threads on this forum arguing about amp seeing higher peak voltages with the HPF placed before the amp.

It's certainly a possible disadvantage, although it's not likely to significantly increase the voltage demand on the amp (and it may just as easily slightly decrease it).

Another disadvantage is that the signal goes through an extra stage of processing, which will introduce some additional noise/distortion. Since it's a low-level signal, however, the additional noise/distortion is unlikely to be significant, and certainly not in comparison with the significant reduction in distortion as a result of preventing low frequencies being reproduced by the speakers.

I will also look at the external xover. Had not thought about this before.

This is likely to be the most flexible/powerful solution IMO. You'll be able to precisely control the frequency, slope, and delay of your filters, and also fine tune the response with EQ. The external crossover may also be able to take the place of your DAC in the system (depending on which you choose/how you set it up).

Top Bottom