• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations/Advice needed for affordable (new home studio) monitors

So if one amplifier is enough for good detail, why do they make studio monitors with more than one amplifier?
Adding another amplifier raises cost and raises selling price.
So why do studio monitor makers put more than one amplifier in their units?
Where are you seeing all these studios that use monitors powered by multiple amps?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Passive bi-amped is no more or less inherently detailed than active bi-amped.
I would say you’re not thinking about GLM or other auto correction system.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Passive bi-amped is no more or less inherently detailed than active bi-amped.
Maybe. My research into pro-designed-but-not-hugely-costly powered monitors is that they often (yeah, not always) have in-built DSP that is factory 'firmwared' to better drive the particular drivers and enclosure they are bolted to. The result can be a tightly controlled system of amps and speakers that were intended and designed to work together. This bypasses many of the troublesome issues of trying to pick, choose, and match amps and speakers that might not play well together.

In my use of desktop monitors, I rarely change any performance parameter other than volume. I don't need lots of input selectors, tone controls, or cables and wires. And a convenience feature I like is having a headphone jack that cuts off the speakers when I just want headphones for a chore. If you do look at powered monitors, you may find that headphone jacks are scarce.

Also, you may wish to have any analog inputs of powered monitors be balanced for noise immunity and future compatibility. Me? I'd look for a powered speaker digital input that matches the digital output of my computer/DAW.

Try to keep in mind that the major difference between monitors and HiFi loudspeakers is that monitors are a tool for use in a workflow situation. They are not audiophile toys for the music-playing cognoscenti.

-Just one man's views.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Try to keep in mind that the major difference between monitors and HiFi loudspeakers is that monitors are a tool for use in a workflow situation. They are not audiophile toys for the music-playing cognoscenti.

I do not understand the difference you are proposing exists here?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Where are you seeing all these studios that use monitors powered by multiple amps?

I have 3 amps in each speaker for woofer, mid, tweeter and a single 500w for dual sub, 7 amps for a 2.1 setup

rollmottle

I would say you’re not thinking about GLM or other auto correction system.
Is the argument now DSP makes speakers better? Sure...you can add DSP to passive speakers too.
The crux of the issue is with this vague statement that is not precise enough to qualify on what grounds it is making this conclusion (other than the user's belief and preference):

Studio monitors (self-powered speakers) offer better audio detail, than a speaker amplifier and un-powered speakers setup.

All things being equal, there is nothing inherently more or less detailed about a passive topology vs. an active one.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
I do not understand the difference you are proposing exists here?
You are correct; you don't.

For example, a toy is a four-wheeler. A tool is a tractor. Don't play at ignorance. It's addicting.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
You are correct; you don't.

For example, a toy is a four-wheeler. A tool is a tractor. Don't play at ignorance. It's addicting.

Curious actually. Your explanation is irrelevant. You have no real distinction to make then?

Somafunk

Major Contributor

I don’t understand your reasoning?, they both allow the reproduction of audio.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Top Bottom