• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget: ~$50-75US

Form factor: Over ear, open back.

Use case: Casual listening to music (mostly Americana, rock and some pop, jazz) and watching videos.

Source information: Portable devices. I also have Qudelix 5K, but prefer something that doesn't need an amp.

Things that are important to you: Something of at least average durability.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I'm happy with my ATH-m40x. I'm looking for open-back headphones because the ATH-m40x isolate too much for casual use and cut down my awareness of my surroundings.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: I'd like something that won't be challenging to EQ, but doesn't need EQ.

Thanks!
Looking through the headphone review index here on ASR the only sub $100 headphones that Amir recommended after EQ was this one (it's semi-open rather than full open back):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/superlux-hd668b-review-headphone.19178/
I personally don't like the look of that frequency response, and you don't want to listen to it at stock. But in terms of price that's the only recommendation here from ASR. I think if you were going down the EQ route that the 559 that @keebz28 recommended would be better. Tough tough price bracket.....still open to suggestions from you readers!

eas

Thanks @Robbo99999 @keebz28. Elsewhere someone recommended the Phillips SHP9500, which both Oratory1990 and Crinacle have measured. It seems like it will be rather bright without EQ.

I didn't want to buy anything that needed EQ to really be acceptable, but given the price point, and the fact that I already have the Qudelix, I'm thinking I should relax that requirement.

The 559 looks pretty good, but is definitely out of my budget.

Now I'm thinking I may try going the other direction and pick up the Koss KHP30i for $30. I thought I'd seen some measurements and corrections for it, somewhere. I'm not finding it though.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks @Robbo99999 @keebz28. Elsewhere someone recommended the Phillips SHP9500, which both Oratory1990 and Crinacle have measured. It seems like it will be rather bright without EQ.

I didn't want to buy anything that needed EQ to really be acceptable, but given the price point, and the fact that I already have the Qudelix, I'm thinking I should relax that requirement.

Now I'm thinking I may try going the other direction and pick up the Koss KHP30i for $30. I thought I'd seen some measurements and corrections for it, somewhere. I'm not finding it though.
I use some version of oratory99 with mine.

Edit: Updated filters.

1626707377002.png

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Phillips SHP9500? Measurements from Crinacle.

They sound excellent with just a few bands of EQ. Amazing large soundstage. Quite comfy due to large diameter pads
In that case the SHP9500 sounds like a good recommendation, soundstage is a great aspect to get right so I think that goes a long way, and a personal recommendation on that from maverick. As long as you're ok to EQ.....not bad then!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this on Crinacle, but Oratory not measured:
View attachment 142044
That's not the Harman Target pictured (as you have to pay to display that),

I dont think thats the reason its not Harman on Crinacle's charts. Thats his preference curve

https://www.reddit.com/r/inearfidelity/comments/ajyv1a
EDIT And yes, thats initially for IEM, but he extended that work to get an OE curve too https://crinacle.com/2020/10/05/in-ear-fidelitys-iem-neutral-target-gets-an-update-database-updates/

EDIT again- I get what you mean, you have to pay on Crinacles site to display Harman. Apologies, carry on.

Last edited:

crinacle

Reviewer
That's not the Harman Target pictured (as you have to pay to display that)

EDIT again- I get what you mean, you have to pay on Crinacles site to display Harman.

To clarify: no, you do not. The target curves for "IEF Neutral" and the latest Harman curves (Harman AE/OE 2018 and Harman IE 2019v2) are all available on the free tools.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To clarify: no, you do not. The target curves for "IEF Neutral" and the latest Harman curves (Harman AE/OE 2018 and Harman IE 2019v2) are all available on the free tools.

We got there in the end! Thanks

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

crinacle

Reviewer
Strange, that doesn't work for me here:
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/?share=K701
If I click on the Harman 2018 target, the button I circled in the pic below, then it just tells me I need to pay (second pic):
View attachment 142430

View attachment 142431

That's odd, one of the updates I made rolled back the changes I've been to the target functionality of the headphone tool. I've updated the files and forced some cache refreshes, try hard refreshing (Ctrl + F5) and let me know if it works.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's odd, one of the updates I made rolled back the changes I've been to the target functionality of the headphone tool. I've updated the files and forced some cache refreshes, try hard refreshing (Ctrl + F5) and let me know if it works.
Yep, that's fine now!

Oluv's Buddy

Crinacle ought to do the Yamaha HPH-MT5 and the Anker Q30.

I'm not sure if the Anker's equalization works without power.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Budget 500€ -600 USD .
Listening at home. Amplifier Cambridge CXA81 / CXN V2
Over ear and closed .

Basically just need the headphones to avoid bothering my wife the whole time.

I've already considered something like the Denon AH-D 5200 or the 7200.

I'm listening mainly to David Bowie, Beatles, Johnny Cash, daft punk, nick cave.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget 500€ -600 USD .
Listening at home. Amplifier Cambridge CXA81 / CXN V2
Over ear and closed .

I've already considered something like the Denon AH-D 5200 or the 7200.

I'm listening mainly to David Bowie, Beatles, Johnny Cash, daft punk, nick cave.
Probably this one which I've recommended before & has been reviewed here on ASR:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbs8m0x6qcvnuhv/Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed RT.pdf?dl=0
It's relatively hard to drive, so you might want to check your Cambridge Amplifier has enough power to drive it. (a quick check and I couldn't find out the capabilities of your Cambridge re driving headphones.)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Probably this one which I've recommended before & has been reviewed here on ASR:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbs8m0x6qcvnuhv/Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed RT.pdf?dl=0
It's relatively hard to drive, so you might want to check your Cambridge Amplifier has enough power to drive it. (a quick check and I couldn't find out the capabilities of your Cambridge re driving headphones.)

Looks like they are not sold in Germany.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like they are not sold in Germany.
Yes, it would be an import.

I got NAD HP50 which are good closed backs, they're very smooth with great bass, as long as you don't have big ears as the cups are quite small. There's an Oratory EQ for them, and I did my own too based on Oratory's measurement, which for me I find an improvement. But yes, NAD HP50, but they don't make them anymore, but you could buy 2nd hand (used). I would wager they're a little better than the AKG K371 because they don't have the hole in the treble whilst having very low distortion, some of the lowest distortion that Amir has tested on here. Don't go by Amir's frequency response though because he had a bit of a dodgy pair that looks like it had some physical damage to the headband causing poor alignment & seal on the head/apparatus, so channel matching was awful in his review, but in reality it's not. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nad-viso-hp50-review-headphone.19121/
You can see in the main pic that the earcups are misaligned.

As a closed back headphone I haven't had the urge to look elsewhere, but I'm not a closed back fan. As a headphone I rate it 3rd amoungst my headphones, but I think the fact it's closed back is a handicap, yet it still does well, my ranking of my headphones from best to worst: AKG K702 & Sennheiser HD560s joint 1st, then Hifiman HE4XX, then NAD HP50, then Sennheiser HD600.

(All my recommendations are with EQ applied, I couldn't care less about stock frequency response, as long as they're easily EQ'd with no nasty dips/peaks).

Bob-23

Hallo, Grüße aus Berlin!

Don't forget to switch on a crossfeed-filter, in particular with the Beatles, you'll need it.

And, by the way, the cheapest way not to bother your wife - less than 10 % of your budget:
Superlux HD-662EVO, available at Thomann's for 33 Euros [1]

Solderdude's mod is strongly advised, and then it's gonna sound like so (I can affirm):

"The sound of this modified headphone punches high above its price point.
All that needs to be added is some paper and 2 pieces of cello tape.

It is hard to believe that it only takes 2 very minor alterations to improve this headphone.

Highly recommended for those looking for a good (pleasant) sounding closed hi-fi headphone.

One must take into account that longevity of the little cable ‘dongle’ on the left ear cup is not so great. The cable has a tendence to break rather sooner or later. (see below)
broken-wire-sl.jpg

This is something to consider when buying this headphone. " [2]

Yes, the breaking of the cable has to be taken into account, but Thomann is usually very fair: three years warranty, they'll send you a new one - or, if you've got a soldering iron: repair is no problem.

[1] https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_...iZGUiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJkZSJ9
[2] https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd662-evo-2/

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hallo, Grüße aus Berlin!

Don't forget to switch on a crossfeed-filter, in particular with the Beatles, you'll need it.

And, by the way, the cheapest way not to bother your wife - less than 10 % of your budget:
Superlux HD-662EVO, available at Thomann's for 33 Euros [1]

Solderdude's mod is strongly advised, and then it's gonna sound like so (I can affirm):

"The sound of this modified headphone punches high above its price point.
All that needs to be added is some paper and 2 pieces of cello tape.

It is hard to believe that it only takes 2 very minor alterations to improve this headphone.

Highly recommended for those looking for a good (pleasant) sounding closed hi-fi headphone.

One must take into account that longevity of the little cable ‘dongle’ on the left ear cup is not so great. The cable has a tendence to break rather sooner or later. (see below)
broken-wire-sl.jpg

This is something to consider when buying this headphone. " [2]

Yes, the breaking of the cable has to be taken into account, but Thomann is usually very fair: three years warranty, they'll send you a new one - or, if you've got a soldering iron: repair is no problem.

[1] https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_...iZGUiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJkZSJ9
[2] https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd662-evo-2/
To me that's a bit of an unknown due to the flat plate measurement and the "bodge modification job", but I suppose it's a good punt for a throwaway price of 33 Euro, not exactly the $600 budget he was quoting! **** it though, for that money you may as well try it, but still a big unknown to me. I like your enthusiasm.

For closed back though I recommend NAD HP50 & AKG K371 & Dan Clarke Aeon RT as "different tiers" of closed back.....you'd want to use EQ with all them (apart from K371 possibly but certainly with the Aeon RT which is the most inaccurate out of the box). I would expect the sound quality prowess of those 3 headphones (after EQ) to sit in following order from worst to best (with "worst" still being good): K371 / HP50 / Aeon RT.

mysiak

Here I come again.. :) As my company is slowly preparing for opening its offices (quite funny planning with another wave coming, but that's another story), I will be forced to commute again, hence looking for a new pair of headphones. My primary choice is IEMs, which I have plenty of, but sometimes I just can't wear them for a couple of days due to occasional ear swelling/ache (nothing serious, just IEMs are not comfortable then).

Budget: 200 EUR (preferring a new pair due to warranty)

Form factor: fully closed, smaller/flush form factor, over ear ("borderline between over and on ear" is fine, fully "on ear" not)

Use case: casual listening during commuting, good sound isolation is a must, but passive is enough

Source information: just a 3.5mm jack on a smartphone, in the worst case I could hook up Apple USB-C DAC

Things that are important to you: comfort (I expect that they won't be on par with standard "big" headphones though), availability and low price of replacement pads, detachable cable, I don't mind to EQ the headphones. I don't care if headphones are with ANC or bluetooth with DSP, but they must be working with the cable in the same way as over bluetooth (some headphones deactivate ANC/DSP with wired connection) + user/easily replaceable battery is a plus, but I don't keep my hopes high for this feature. Headphones MUST work with thin armed glasses.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Marshall MID = OK sound after EQ, but get uncomfortable quite shortly being on ear and me wearing glasses. Marshall Monitor = OK sound after EQ, they sit flush with my head, don't loose seal with my glasses and don't look ridiculous. I really like them, but earpads started to flake and my attempts for replacement with 3rd party options failed - leather pads loose seal with any head movement. Genuine pads seem to be unavailable. I tried AKG K371 which I found not working with my glasses, otherwise would be my number one choice.

What I consider:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x - I keep reading mixed reports about their comfort and design is a little bit off putting + they could be smaller
Beyerdynamic DT240 pro - not too many reviews/experiences available, genuine earpads not really available (Beyerdynamic doesn't ship to my country)
JBL Live/Tune/Club - I am frankly lost in all their models, there is no explanation about difference between them. I wait for new products coming out in August. Also no idea if it's possible to buy new earpads easily, quick search didn't bring any hits.
Sennheiser Momentum over ear (v1 or v2) - they popup occasionally used or "new old stock". Love their design, along with Marshall Monitor I considered them as the nicest looking headphones for on the go. Not important, but kind of important. :) Sound per reviews isn't really great though.

As usual, any ideas are welcome. :)

Edit: just got info from Marshall, they do not have spare earpads available and it's unclear if they will have them, like ever. I was offered a 20% discount to buy new headphones on their site - they have only BT model costing almost 300 EUR. This is ridiculous, all I need is a set of earpads worth 10 EUR. It's beyond my comprehension that some companies produce headphones out of high quality materials which can last many years, but they are not willing to keep stock of spare parts when it's very clear that they need regular replacing. I will make sure to not support such companies with my money anymore.
Still on the lookout, I narrowed it down to basically two models.

Audio technica ath m50x - full sized oval cups, well known brand with plenty of spare earpads to choose from (I would switch to bigger sheepskin type), except the fake leather band they should last years.

Beyerdynamic DT240 pro - smaller sized round cups, original pads are rare to come by, but I could use any generic round pads with similar dimensions (sheepskin from Aliexpress), sturdy build so should last years as well.

Both models should make me happy in terms of portability and sound, but both have mixed reports about their comfort. Any owner who could chime in? :)

I ruled out any active model as there are numerous reports of failing electronics, buttons etc. I expect headphones to last at least 5 years and this is not possible with "fashion" brands. I still like the design and features of JBL Live 660, but I see it as a waste of money and natural resources to trash them after about 2 years (+ ear pads need replacement roughly each 6 months as they are of low quality).

DeepFried

Hopefully someone can help me with IEMs, i've always considered them to be a cheap throwaway item that inevitably fails in a few months. I'm open to persuasion that they can be more than that, but currently my budget reflects that bias.

Budget: dependent on quality and durability. lets say £20 per expected year of life with daily use. might be persuaded to spend more if there is value.

Form factor: Wired IEM 3.5mm jack

Use case: general use in a noisy environment, isolation is the most important characteristic.

Source information: Phone or Fiio K3

Things that are important to you: Durability and Isolation, preferably they should isolate almost as well as earplugs, the more isolation the better, but not interested in ANC.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Flat preferred.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: for reference I have been using Betron B750s and Sony MDR-EX15LP for a long time, prior to that I was using some Sennheiser' but I don't recall the model. I would consider none of these to be isolating, if we rate an actual 3M ear plug at 90% isolation, then these would be 5-10% at best. I need something much better than that.

Top Bottom