• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

ThomsBrown92

hello everyone, among the headphones analyzed by the machine "the Brüel & Kjær Type 5128" high-frequency "Head and Torso Simulator (HATS)" (at least we are sure to have a validity given by diagrams and objective tests even better than those of rtings about the soundstage), among the headphones analyzed by this $ 40,000 mannequin, you recommend a few models that have these parameters / specifications: 1 purchasable, ALSO USED, from $ 400-500 downwards: $ 50 -250 $ -200 $, max max 500 if you think it's really necessary). 2 gaming use, non-competitive games (Horizon, the last of us, fallout, elden rings), therefore FUN headphones, WARM but brilliant sound on the details (frequency distinction), detailed, understand effects in sound scenes, games and films, but above all ENHANCING It is 360 ° IMMERSIVE, good Binaural sound and soundstage perceived outside your head, i.e. sound not perceived inside your head, but outside your head, sound brought outside, in the foreground, headphones that bring out the sound from your head. 3 sonic signature / V-timbre, ideal for me is this: BASS: HIGH. MIDDLE-LOW: HIGH-NEUTRAL MEDIUM: NEUTRAL. MEDIUM-HIGH: HIGH-NEUTRAL. HIGH: NEUTRAL-LOW with emphasis on 10khz and 5khz. V-shaped sound, but tending towards linear / flat, but NOT flat. In addition to this one trick: open headphones

Phoney

Hey all! I'm looking for a dongle sized headphone amplifier only (no dac) that can be plugged into the 3.5mm output of the Roland FP-30x digital piano. I'm thinking of buying the DT770 Pro 250ohm for this, and having the ability to connect my phone via bluetooth to use an EQ would also be a plus.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I replied to you in the other thread (and also if you notice the post in this thread before yours).

But anyway, I think the JBL Tune 710 BT is about your best option. It has a good pretty smooth frequency response with good compliance to the Harman Curve, so a lot of people are likely to appreciate the sound and it should be quite a neutral/accurate sound which bodes well for a musician playing the piano - afterall you're trying to reproduce the piano in your headphones authentically. The earcups are quite small, so if your wife has big ears (ha!) then she might not be able to get them to fit properly, but woman have smaller ears than men right, so I'm imagining that this headphone would fit her well. There's really not a lot of choice below $100, and some are an utter mess at these price points, but this one looks very promising.

index.php

EDIT: pics I found showing size of earcups:
View attachment 199667 View attachment 199668

And also from solderdude's website he measured the inner pad space size:
Inner Pad dimensions: length = 50mm, width = 37mm, depth = 20mm
Besides solderdude measuring the 710 i can't find anywhere a autoEQ.txt file for this headphone.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides solderdude measuring the 710 i can't find anywhere a autoEQ.txt file for this headphone.
Yes, I had a look just now, it looks like neither Oratory nor Crinacle have measured this headphone. So the only real measurement I can see is that one in my post you quoted, which I think is from Sean Olive measuring it (on his GRAS). You could use that measurement to EQ it. It's easy to eyeball the fix to the bass and the dip at around 1700Hz. Bass you could add Peak Filter 30Hz, Q1.5, +3.5dB. Dip at 1700Hz I'd add Peak Filter 1700Hz, Q2, +2dB. The bit of treble messiness between 4-8kHz could be sorted out better using a graphical EQ tool like REW, so I'm not gonna attempt to eyeball a solution for that area......that area could just be left as is perhaps as it's not too crazy there.....or you can use REW to sort out an EQ for that area, which is a bit of a fiddle using VirtuixCAD to trace the frequency response, then import it into REW as a measurement, then use REW to EQ that troublesome area to the Harman Headphone Curve (which you will have imported too and set as a Target).

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I had a look just now, it looks like neither Oratory nor Crinacle have measured this headphone. So the only real measurement I can see is that one in my post you quoted, which I think is from Sean Olive measuring it (on his GRAS). You could use that measurement to EQ it. It's easy to eyeball the fix to the bass and the dip at around 1700Hz. Bass you could add Peak Filter 30Hz, Q1.5, +3.5dB. Dip at 1700Hz I'd add Peak Filter 1700Hz, Q2, +2dB. The bit of treble messiness between 4-8kHz could be sorted out better using a graphical EQ tool like REW, so I'm not gonna attempt to eyeball a solution for that area......that area could just be left as is perhaps as it's not too crazy there.....or you can use REW to sort out an EQ for that area, which is a bit of a fiddle using VirtuixCAD to trace the frequency response, then import it into REW as a measurement, then use REW to EQ that troublesome area to the Harman Headphone Curve (which you will have imported too and set as a Target).
Thanx for the info. But a bit too much for me. Did hear the sony WH 1000XM2 i was quite impressed when correction is applied.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanx for the info. But a bit too much for me. Did hear the sony WH 1000XM2 i was quite impressed when correction is applied.
Yep, it can be a complicated subject, especially if you're just starting out in the world of EQ. But, if you do own the JBL 710, and you know how to apply parametric filters you could have a go at applying the following two filters to sort out the bass and improve the midrange slightly:
  • Peak Filter 30Hz, Q1.5, +3.5dB
  • Peak Filter 1700Hz, Q2, +2dB
  • You'd want to use a Negative Preamp of -4dB.
You may find that improves the headphone a tad.

alumnicesar

Hello, I replied to you in the other thread (and also if you notice the post in this thread before yours).

But anyway, I think the JBL Tune 710 BT is about your best option. It has a good pretty smooth frequency response with good compliance to the Harman Curve, so a lot of people are likely to appreciate the sound and it should be quite a neutral/accurate sound which bodes well for a musician playing the piano - afterall you're trying to reproduce the piano in your headphones authentically. The earcups are quite small, so if your wife has big ears (ha!) then she might not be able to get them to fit properly, but woman have smaller ears than men right, so I'm imagining that this headphone would fit her well. There's really not a lot of choice below $100, and some are an utter mess at these price points, but this one looks very promising.

index.php

EDIT: pics I found showing size of earcups:
View attachment 199667 View attachment 199668

And also from solderdude's website he measured the inner pad space size:
Inner Pad dimensions: length = 50mm, width = 37mm, depth = 20mm
where is the graph from? im not seeing it on oratory's or crinacle's databases

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
where is the graph from? im not seeing it on oratory's or crinacle's databases
I think that was measured by Sean Olive. He uses that format to display his measurements of headphones when he posts them on Twitter - unfortunately I didn't make a note of where it came from when I saved the pic, which probably supports that it's from Sean Olive, as I know that format to be Sean Olive, and I probably would have noted the source if it came from somewhere else.

alumnicesar

I think that was measured by Sean Olive. He uses that format to display his measurements of headphones when he posts them on Twitter - unfortunately I didn't make a note of where it came from when I saved the pic, which probably supports that it's from Sean Olive, as I know that format to be Sean Olive, and I probably would have noted the source if it came from somewhere else.
hmm i guess it wouldnt be available to be added to autoeq's database then huh

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hmm i guess it wouldnt be available to be added to autoeq's database then huh
That headphone doesn't really need much EQ if you're trying to optimise it to Harman. By eyeballing it I'd say Peak Filter at 1600Hz, +3dB, Q1.9, and then if you want to up the subbass to the Harman Curve then add also Peak Filter at 20Hz, +6dB, Q1.0

alumnicesar

That headphone doesn't really need much EQ if you're trying to optimise it to Harman. By eyeballing it I'd say Peak Filter at 1600Hz, +3dB, Q1.9, and then if you want to up the subbass to the Harman Curve then add also Peak Filter at 20Hz, +6dB, Q1.0
i was more so asking because i like looking at the preference score rankings table. JBL tune 710's 88.17 is really high.

Do you know of any other headphones/iems Sean Olive has tested that no one else has that has high scores like that?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i was more so asking because i like looking at the preference score rankings table. JBL tune 710's 88.17 is really high.

Do you know of any other headphones/iems Sean Olive has tested that no one else has that has high scores like that?
Nope, not aware of others, (in answer to your question) - which doesn't mean they don't exist of course! If you think about getting the Tune 710 then make sure your ears will fit inside them for a start:
JBL Tune 710 length.jpg

Attachments

• JBL Tune 710 width.jpg
    JBL Tune 710 width.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 35

alumnicesar

What's the cheapest wireless, over-ear, with active noise cancelling, that hits >= 80 preference score? Does that exist?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-jbl-closed-back-measurements.23843/

760nc might be the king. @Robbo99999 also looks like they're a bassier 710bt but with anc
I suppose you could reduce the bass using EQ, but given it's noise cancelling I'm not sure if the headphone will just compensate the bass back to it's originally designed target - not sure on this point praps some other members can correct me on that. It's up to you if you think this frequency response is preferable to the 710.

AdamG

Helping you stretch your audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I suppose you could reduce the bass using EQ, but given it's noise cancelling I'm not sure if the headphone will just compensate the bass back to it's originally designed target - not sure on this point praps some other members can correct me on that. It's up to you if you think this frequency response is preferable to the 710.
A primer on how Noise canceling technology works.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A primer on how Noise canceling technology works.

I know noise cancelling is not the same as headphones that make sure you have a consistent bass response regardless of seal, but I just felt that it was common that noise cancelling headphones often also have that additional feature that ensures bass response is consistent, is that the case, or I've made that up, I might have made that up?

AdamG

Helping you stretch your audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I know noise cancelling is not the same as headphones that make sure you have a consistent bass response regardless of seal, but I just felt that it was common that noise cancelling headphones often also have that additional feature that ensures bass response is consistent, is that the case, or I've made that up, I might have made that up?
I certainly am not an expert on this technology and there are many flavors of Noise canceling from Audiophile headphones to Apple ear buds and Shooting headphones. While they all attempt to reduce ambient noise from getting to your ears. They may use a different secret sauce to make it happen. I have the Apple AirPod Pros and a set of Shooting muffs. They work differently. The AirPods use active microphones to listen to ambient sounds and use canceling audio technology to reduce it. They reduced all noise to a pretty good degree. I have not noticed any loss of Bass or treble when using them (not saying I have measured this. It’s just my subjective impression). The Shooting headphones let most sound in, so you can have a conversation with someone right next to you. The moment you shoot your gun or someone else shoots in the next lane the noise cancellation kicks in and basically mutes everything for that moment. I don’t listen to music when I’m Shooting’s so I don’t know what the tech in those do to the sound. They have the capability but I want to remain focused and concentrate on what I’m doing and music would be distracting to me.

My TLDR guess is neither set does any FR shaping to the music or Tv sound you are playing on the inside. As the built in microphones are on the outside and can’t monitor what is playing on the inside. All of this is my assumptions based on my personal use case. Hope this helps a little?

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I certainly am not an expert on this technology and there are many flavors of Noise canceling from Audiophile headphones to Apple ear buds and Shooting headphones. While they all attempt to reduce ambient noise from getting to your ears. They may use a different secret sauce to make it happen. I have the Apple AirPod Pros and a set of Shooting muffs. They work differently. The AirPods use active microphones to listen to ambient sounds and use canceling audio technology to reduce it. They reduced all noise to a pretty good degree. I have not noticed any loss of Bass or treble when using them (not saying I have measured this. It’s just my subjective impression). The Shooting headphones let most sound in, so you can have a conversation with someone right next to you. The moment you shoot your gun or someone else shoots in the next lane the noise cancellation kicks in and basically mutes everything for that moment. I don’t listen to music when I’m Shooting’s so I don’t know what the tech in those do to the sound. They have the capability but I want to remain focused and concentrate on what I’m doing and music would be distracting to me.

My TLDR guess is neither set does any FR shaping to the music or Tv sound you are playing on the inside. As the built in microphones are on the outside and can’t monitor what is playing on the inside. All of this is my assumptions based on my personal use case. Hope this helps a little?
(I'd have to research it, your examples don't really touch on that, it was just a hunch I had, people can disregard my earlier comment that noise cancelling headphones often include the function to ensure that bass is always stable regardless of seal, they can pretend it didn't happen!)

Top Bottom