• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation: Programmable Linear Power Supply

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I'm in the market for one of these...either new or pre-owned...preferrably 3 ch...1.5k max budget.
Thanks.

Hehe -- I almost left intact Poser rather than Power in the subject field
. o_O

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Rigol DP800 series is the go-to brand for engineers/hobbyists these days: https://www.rigolna.com/products/dc-power-loads/dp800/

product_1004.jpg

The prices are quite reasonable in $500 to $800 range.

There were some design issues in the first generation model (heatsink too small on one regulator) so don't get a used one.

The down sides are fan noise, and very deep enclosure.

I don't have one though so no personal experience.

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
The Rigol DP800 series is the go-to brand for engineers/hobbyists these days: https://www.rigolna.com/products/dc-power-loads/dp800/

product_1004.jpg

The prices are quite reasonable in $500 to $800 range.

There were some design issues in the first generation model (heatsink too small on one regulator) so don't get a used one.

The down sides are fan noise, and very deep enclosure.

I don't have one though so no personal experience.

Thanks, Amir -- I saw a version of this on EEVblog when he was recharging a Li-ion battery. The price is right! I think I'd rather the color version, though.

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks, Amir -- I saw a version of this on EEVblog when he was recharging a Li-ion battery. The price is right! I think I'd rather the color version, though.
The color version is harder to use because it puts the three settings for each voltage on a circle! So you can't easily associate which is which with respect to the outputs. They do have a firmware update to make it look like the green one with three vertical bars and there is a youtube on doing the upgrade. However, I heard that they may give you a hard time in giving you that firmware.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'll take a look...thanks. Would you be aware of any Keithley power supplies that merit attention?
Keithley stuff is also highend like Keysight so I would not hesitate to use their products.

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
The color version is harder to use because it puts the three settings for each voltage on a circle! So you can't easily associate which is which with respect to the outputs. They do have a firmware update to make it look like the green one with three vertical bars and there is a youtube on doing the upgrade. However, I heard that they may give you a hard time in giving you that firmware.

Yes, the polar-type display should give way to the three columns -- but, in color! :cool:

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Keithley stuff is also highend like Keysight so I would not hesitate to use their products.
I don't think Keithley garners the respect their products warrant.
Rohde & Schwarz and Hameg may be worth it ($$$), too! :D
My UPV needs a companion. :p

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
It does stay in color with the new firmware. Here is the video that that I was talking about regarding the update. It shows the color screen at the end:

Some good vids on this Rigol, but -- GEEZ! :confused:
Color 'Classic' display has nice appearance.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I tend to like the ones that have a button to shut down the display -- it tends to radiate noise that your cables can pick up even if it does not appear directly on the outputs. I have never used a Rigol so cannot comment but Keithley and Keysight make some really good models. There are also a number of programmable models by companies like Lambda and others that are more basic but offer good performance and some sort of serial or parallel cable (UART/RS-232/GPIB) program capability. Do check noise specs if you want a truly low-noise model, and expect to pay for it. Or build a filter of your own, usually a cheaper way. Also be wise to invest in an isolation transformer if using it for measurement purposes, but be aware higher-frequency noise will find a way and the CMRR of most devices falls off rapidly with frequency.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Man, that is one cool cat! :D I am tempted and I don't even need one!!! :D :D

They have combined their 6.5 digit meters with a power supply. Very nice idea. Then 10 na range for current is also very useful.

Get it, then send it to me to measure the Uptone ISO Regen with it. :)

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
If I purchase it, Amir, I'll send it up. :cool:
Whom would you patronize for purchase?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Tequipment.net is the usual place for test gear. I went there though and it says both versions of this supply are discontinued! http://www.tequipment.net/Keithley/2280S-60-3/

Alternatively I buy through Amazon and they are stocking one unit. I would further investigate if the unit is discontinued.

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Wow...first I've heard of the 2280 series being d/c'd. :eek: It appears available elsewhere, however.
The 2280S-32-6 is listed as a current product on Keithley's w/s.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a recent product so surprising to see that. TEquipment guys are pretty good on chat. Engage them on Monday and see what the beef is and their best price. They have a discount for EEVblog members too and so just ask them about it.

BTW, be sure the max voltage and current meet your needs.

OP
c1ferrari

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Thanks, Amir. "Chat" via TEquipment w/s will have to compete with my students and the solar eclipse this Monday! :D
The only other 2800-series instrument is the 2280S-60-3. Which would you get?

Top Bottom