• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation please: Top of the line solid state headphone amplifier

Strumbringer

Curious what you all may recommend for a TOTL solid state headphone amplifier? I'm finding myself to be a critical/analytical listener and having tried out several tube amplifiers, I don't know that tubes are my preference. I've read nothing but great things about the Benchmark HPA4 and also have read/heard that the Topping A90 or A90D is just as good (or very close) at a better price point. Curious what else is highly regarded in the solid state category. I'm using 300 Ohm ZMF headphones (Verite Open and Auteur). Thanks in advance!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You don't even have to spend much money to get a transparent hedaphone amplifier for hi impedance can's.
Neadles to say get Heresy.
Things are a bit more complicated when it comes to very sensitive lo impedance one's, for that see a recent 50 mV measurement chart.
Edit:

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know but making a headphone amplifier that's better than human hearing isn't rocket science, and it's not expensive.

The main chips & electronics are cheap so most of the cost goes into the case, the power supply, connectors, controls, etc,. And then there extra per-unit costs related to small-volume manufacturing & distribution. (Almost everybody has a receiver or AVR but not too many people buy a separate headphone amp.)

High impedance headphones generally need more voltage so output-voltage is one spec to look-for. A related advantage to the lower sensitivity of high-impedance is that you are less likely to hear any noise generated by the headphone amp. Also, frequency response can sometimes be messed-up with low impedance headphones (although that shouldn't happen with a good design) and a high-impedance load avoids that.

Tubes (old technology) just make the amplifier more expensive. Tubes are "naturally" high voltage and high-impedance* so it's harder to make a tube amp for regular lower-impedance headphones, and even harder and more expensive to make a good tube amp for speakers.

* Note that we DON'T want "impedance matching". The amplifier's impedance should be low, relative to the headphone load so if you are stuck with tubes that's easier to achieve with a higher impedance load.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending on the type of headphone you get SOTA performance starting at $100. End game in my view is the RME ADI-2 DAC due to its very versatile feature set but it is a DAC/amp combo (the features are almost all implemented on the digital side).

Top Bottom