• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

recommendation of dac/amp

s002wjh

could someone recommend a dac/amp for hd650 / beyerdynamic t1 is it better to get dac/amp combo or separated? is topping dx7s good choice? maybe dx70+ an amp. or something else?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
DX7s is definitely a great choice, feel free to check: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-topping-dx7s-dac-and-headphone-amp.2378/.

If you want a transistored solid-state output stage with a lower output impedance and a bit more power, then PLAYMATE could be a good choice too: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...playmate-inside-pics-specs-and-thoughts.6980/.

DX7 is measuring better and has also a lower background noise, so probably a better choice for sensitive IEMs. PLAYMATE has a bit more power reserve instead and the ability to fit inside a computer case.

Also, Khadas board or Topping D50 combined with Atom measures a bit better than any of the above, so it all depends on what do you like more: THD+N or output power or size & weight or look & feel?

OP
S

s002wjh

whats the difference between D50 and D70? seem there is XLR and different dac, but cost a lot more.
also forgot to say I need rca output to my active speakers. i'm assuming D50/Atom can do that.
as for balance xlr in D70, does it provide better noise isolation compare to RCA, is it noticeable? try to figure if I need balance xlr or not. if it provide noticeable performance sure.
i'm more into better performance, not worried about size/power as I don't turn on volume too loud

Veri

Master Contributor
whats the difference between D50 and D70? seem there is XLR and different dac, but cost a lot more.
also forgot to say I need rca output to my active speakers. i'm assuming D50/Atom can do that.
Atom can definitely do that via rca out.

as for balance xlr in D70, does it provide better noise isolation compare to RCA, is it noticeable? try to figure if I need balance xlr or not. if it provide noticeable performance sure.
i'm more into better performance, not worried about size/power as I don't turn on volume too loud

XLR has common mode rejection which can greatly reduce or prevent ground loops and mains noise. However, plenty of consumer gear uses RCA. With shorter cables and non-professional use, RCA is generally fine. Atom only has RCA in, not XLR, and offers stellar performance at low price.

XLR is awesome, but for most of us not a necessity.

OP
S

s002wjh

anyone knows the topping dac warranty? seem D50s is good from review so I bought one, but not sure about their customer service and warranty in case something happen.

geek101

Forum Donor
D50s+Atom again. I just got this setup and been doing some A/B testing using hard to drive Mr Speakers Mad Dog headphones. This combo was compared to Audio-GD NFB-10ES that can put out 1.65 Watts unbalanced and much more balanced.

In high gain mode the Atom powered it very well, cannot get past 12 o’clock for most music.

Top Bottom