• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for transcribing speech?

ashaimeow

I transcribe court recordings involving multiple speakers for a couple of hours each day. The recordings entail four or eight channels which can be individually isolated.

I'm currently using old earbuds that came with an old Samsung handphone, and a very old Hippobox amp, which is on its last legs and doesn't hold a charge for long. The audio output on the laptop is terrible when i don't use the amp (as compared to when i was using a desktop or an older laptop in the office) and i'm looking for recommendations on what might be a comfortable set-up.

If it matters:
- i wear glasses
- i will only either be working from home or in the office, so portability isn't an issue but just to avoid too many wires i'd prefer an amp that doesn't require plugging into the mains
- my laptop has usb-a ports, usb-c ports and an earphone jack
- earphones must be wired
- it'd be great if background noise such as typing on a keyboard could be reduced
- i've tried noise-cancelling earphones before and they give me a headache
- if the amp requires charging, i'd prefer if i could continue using it while it's being charged
- i'm open to older, second-hand equipment
- i'm open to alternating between headphones, earphones and earbuds

For earphones, i'm considering the MDH-5706, Grado SR60 or Koss KPH30iK.

For the amp, i'm considering the ifi Zen (only V1 is available secondhand), ifi Hip dac, Hidzs S9 Pro, Fiio Q5 or A5, Dragonfly Red/Cobalt, Schitt Fulla-E, Shanling UA2.

Would these be good combinations, or would you have anything else to recommend? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom