• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

recommendation for sub $1K system

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
, a USB-C to USB-A adapter used with the Apple dongle will do the job. I'm

FYI - there may be a workaround, or I simply did not know what I was doing, but I could never get the Apple usb-c with A adapter to work with Windows 7. While a native USB-A, like Speaka, does. Read the Apple and adapter does work with W10..

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since it’s an apartment I don’t know how well a subwoofer would work in terms of neighbors.

I personally would do something simple like a Topping MX3 (<$150) and the ELAC DBR ($600).

For music it should get to sufficient volumes, for action movies though it likely will be lacking in SPL.

BillG

Major Contributor
FYI - there may be a workaround, or I simply did not know what I was doing, but I could never get the Apple usb-c with A adapter to work with Windows 7. While a native USB-A, like Speaka, does. Read the Apple and adapter does work with W10..

It works just fine with my aging Dell Optiplex 990, and Windows 10 Pro.

Madao

I have the Yamaha S-501 (£300) but I don't know if it's just my tiny room but it feels so anaemic with my speakers. I was worried they're not getting enough power or it could just be in my head. Hopefully the latter.

Yes, a USB-C to USB-A adapter used with the Apple dongle will do the job. I'm actually using one in my setup...

When I look this on amazon it's the other way around? I wonder if I'm confused on how this works in general.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I live in an apartment, and the system would be in my 13X13 ft living room with 10 ft ceilings (about 1700 cu ft). The speakers would need to be on either side of an 8 ft sliding glass door and within a foot or so of the wall. Seating is on the other side of the room ~11 ft away.
Sounds like some rather dreadful acoustics tbh. Square room of almost the same height (can you say room modes?), glass door behind speakers, speakers almost in corners, seating position on the other side of the room. How's the house built, massive concrete / brick or drywall and a whole lotta nothing? What's the floor like?

I would very much suggest setting aside a few hundred for room treatment:
a) a massive curtain (think moving blanket-ish) to go in front of the glass door, one or two parts as deemed practical, with matching curtain rod
b) misc. absorbers for side walls and something resembling corner bass traps
c) if hard flooring - absorbers on ceiling; if thick carpet - diffusors on ceiling
d) absorber on wall behind listening position
Identify promising bounce-off points to place elements by tracing possible propagation paths from speakers to listening position. (The plan is to mainly address critical reflections, not making the room sound like an anechoic chamber.) When trying to save money, absorbers are good DIY candidates - they're literally just frames filled with mineral wool and covered in acoustic cloth.

Also, an AVR (home theater receiver) with as good a room EQ system as possible, e.g. one of the fancier Audyssey variants, would be much preferred over a traditional stereo amp in this scenario. Doesn't have to be new by any means, but checking the model's reliability track record is very much advised.

I would also try bringing in the speakers closer to the listening position, and/or the listening position out into the room if at all possible. Maybe 6-8' distance. If bookshelves with stands are more suitable for this scenario than floorstanders, so be it.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sounds like some rather dreadful acoustics tbh. Square room of almost the same height (can you say room modes?), glass door behind speakers, speakers almost in corners, seating position on the other side of the room. How's the house built, massive concrete / brick or drywall and a whole lotta nothing? What's the floor like?

a) a massive curtain (think moving blanket-ish) to go in front of the glass door, one or two parts as deemed practical, with matching curtain rod
c) if hard flooring - absorbers on ceiling; if thick carpet - diffusors on ceiling
Identify promising bounce-off points to place elements by tracing possible propagation paths from speakers to listening position. (The plan is to mainly address critical reflections, not making the room sound like an anechoic chamber.) When trying to save money, absorbers are good DIY candidates - they're literally just frames filled with mineral wool and covered in acoustic cloth.

Also, an AVR (home theater receiver) with as good a room EQ system as possible, e.g. one of the fancier Audyssey variants, would be much preferred over a traditional stereo amp in this scenario. Doesn't have to be new by any means, but checking the model's reliability track record is very much advised.

See my PW-Link recommendation above. $199 for streamer and Anthem room correction

Midwest Blade

I would put at least 50% of the budget into a pair of speakers but a decent speaker PSB Alpha P5 runs about $400, a good integrated amp such as the Yamaha A-S301 which would be $350 and also gives you analog and digital options and has a very handy loudness control for quieter listening. Do you have a streaming subscription - Amazon Music HD, Tidal, Spotify, you would be all set and ready to roll with more music then you can fathom. Have fun!

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
IS there a guide somewhere on modding the BS22? I have an old pair that i don't really use anymore .

OP
R

rhz

I would also try bringing in the speakers closer to the listening position, and/or the listening position out into the room if at all possible. Maybe 6-8' distance. If bookshelves with stands are more suitable for this scenario than floorstanders, so be it.
It's a rental, so room treatment is not an option.

bigx5murf

What's your local classifieds look like? Pioneer BS22 and JBL LSR305 show up on classifieds a lot.

I recently put together the following system from my local classifieds.

Infinity IL10 - $80
Audiosource AMP200 - $25
Digidesign Mbox 2 - $10

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
What's your local classifieds look like?
Shopgoodwill.com can have some decent electronics offerings with tolerable shipping. Usually, the Speakers are terrible. Pickup only, or outrageous shipping costs.

bigx5murf

Shopgoodwill.com can have some decent electronics offerings with tolerable shipping. Usually, the Speakers are terrible. Pickup only, or outrageous shipping costs.

Goodwill auctions aren't as unknown as they used to be, and I often see things selling for higher than eBay prices. Pretty crazy considering their return policy is nowhere near as good as eBay. The only real deals on there are the pickup only items.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can get them on sale:

JLB 308p MKII for $400 a pair and the matching LSR310S for $299 per.

TimW

Major Contributor
I second the motion for an AVR with room correction. I've been eyeing the Denon AVR-X series with Audyssey MultEQ XT which are compatible with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app allowing more control over room correction. Should be some older models available used or on sale now. Room correction will give you much more of an audible benefit then a SINAD increase from 85 to 100 db. Making audio electronics recommendations based purely on SINAD measurements is just silly guys.

@rhz What sources do you want to use with this system? You mentioned CD's, do you already own a CD player?

The Infinity Reference series are a great recommendation since they can be had for such a bargain price when they're in stock and on sale. The ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 and DBR-62 also look like good affordable options and they have front ports which may work better with your close-to-wall speaker placement.

I always recommend subs but if you have limited space, funding, and technical abilities then a pair of speakers with decently sized woofers is probably a better fit for you.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
If you can get them on sale:

JLB 308p MKII for $400 a pair and the matching LSR310S for $299 per.

Given the 310s high pass, at moderate listening level in a small place I'd go with the smaller 306 or my recommended Kali LP-6 and put the $100 savings toward room correction.

thefsb

Speakers: Infinity Reference 162 frequently on sale at ~$180USD
Total: $689USD

It's quite common here for people to encourage allocating the lion's share of the budget to speakers. Why not do that in this case?

Top Bottom