• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for sub-£200 over-ear headphones for someone stone deaf in one ear (plus mono sound quality)

Kilcaff

I know these are questions that get asked a lot but I'm seeking some knowledge and advice.

I'm looking at getting some headphones for music listening and also during calls in the home office.
As the office shares a wall with my other-half's study then maybe closed back is a better option as one of the reasons for headphones is to not let my music to creep into her room during the day.

The rub here is that I am completely deaf in my right ear. Because of this I've always shied away from buying headphones as I was always unsure if it would be just throwing away money. If I wear headphones and leave them in stereo I will tend to miss out on defined bass and sometimes whole instruments.

I tend therefore to throw everything into mono if it's going into a headphone. It's also why I set my study up with the pc facing the wall and my amp and speakers (audiolab 6000a and bowers & wilkins 606) sitting on my left and just move my seated position in the room if listening to music.

I bought a pair of melomania 1+ for travel as at least I could throw everything to mono and be able to interchange the buds for my left ear as they are identical shapes so didn't feel like I was paying for a wasted ear bud.

I do fancy getting a pair of good sounding headphones now though, my first question is, for those with experience does putting a decent pair really trash the quality and make it pointless?

Second question would be recommendations.

Here's my ticks and crosses:

✓ Over Ear
✓ Under £200
✓ Wired (don't mind if also wireless but will likely be running into pc or amp)

And not-fussed either way with:
ANC
IEM

I listen mostly to folk, trad, electronic and rock so everything from Lunasa to AC/DC via Zero 7 and Laura Marling...

Thanks in advance for any information, advice and ideas.
Adam.

Dazerdoreal

Beyerdynamic builds headphones and headsets for one ear. The advantage I see here is that they are, accordingly, mono by default. At least I guess so.
Might that be of interest for you?

OP
K

Kilcaff

Thanks! Good info, I'll take a look at these.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also you can search eBay and in advanced search, specify single ear cup to see all the models tuned to play just one side for everything.

Top Bottom