• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The circuit around it is far more important than the DAC itself imho.

OP
I

insoc

"Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?"

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but x-ray's are 2D.

Of course Sherlock! That's why I separated X-RAY and 3D with a "-" ...

OP
I

insoc

So maybe, just maybe, being that different circuits around EACH DAC could produce a DIFFERENT SOUND between DACs, one can say that, in fact, DACs don't sound the same and so a question asking for the best sounding DAC is a valid one???

A800

So maybe, just maybe, given different circuits around EACH DAC could produce a DIFFERENT SOUND between DACs and so one can say that, in fact, DACs don't sound the same and so a question asking for the best sounding DAC is a valid one???

Probably.
Like I posted earlier look for a DAC that has no caps in the signal path.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm: I’m off!

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course Sherlock! That's why I separated X-RAY and 3D with a "-" ...

Thanks, Holmes. I might also want to point out that separating the words "x-ray" and "3D with a hyphen doesn't change the fact that x-rays are 2D. So which one do you want - 2D or 3D? And are you sure you want an x-ray and not a CT, or an MRI?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read where the Matrix Element X is an analytical DAC as well as the Topping D90 but any DAC in the top tier should be fine, any one above the lowest tier really since it's going to be used in front of a Primaluna tube amp.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Based on Amir's measurements and review, the SMSL SU-9 is among the very topmost performers. It costs $440 brand spanking new, and comes with excellent filters courtesy of the ES9038PRO. Also includes MQA decoding if you are headed down that rabbit hole.

A800

^ESS DACs are a good choice when chasing "MOST DETAILED".

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

What does that even mean?

These aren't measurements of the chip, they are at the analog output, after whatever circuits there may be.

A800

What does that even mean?

These aren't measurements of the chip, they are at the analog output, after whatever circuits there may be.

It means that the components around the DAC such as power supplies, output stages, etc. have more influence on the sound and measurements than the DAC itself.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Do you think it's possible to hear differences between a DAC with a SINAD of 107 vs 114 vs 120 ?

It's a good question. And like all good questions, it probably leads to an "it depends". A trained listener (not the same as a "golden eared" audiophile) might be able be able to hear minuscule differences when trying to do so. But I'm getting the feeling that when you are actually just enjoying music rather than painstakingly dissecting your gear, the required SINAD for experiencing transparency is shockingly low.

Like I posted earlier look for a DAC that has no caps in the signal path.

I used to believe that too, but never saw any evidence of it being true?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It means that the components around the DAC such as power supplies, output stages, etc. have more influence on the sound and measurements than the DAC itself.

Isn't it plugged into it's power supply during testing? What is this output stage you keep referring to that isn't already measured? And what is the etc. that is slipping through?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So maybe, just maybe, being that different circuits around EACH DAC could produce a DIFFERENT SOUND between DACs, one can say that, in fact, DACs don't sound the same and so a question asking for the best sounding DAC is a valid one???

So, let's set aside all the measurements. Whose opinion on what the most detailed etc etc etc DAC do you listen to?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the common language, a DAC is an assembled and working/ready to use device ≠ DAC chip alone. Amir is measuring DACs, meaning the all implementation. You can't separate chip from the all assembled unit when you measure performance.

A800

I used to believe that too, but never saw any evidence of it being true?

Any cap will introduce distortion and phase errors.
Among other things there is also the problem of leakage current and dielectric absorption.
A function generator, a few resistors, caps and a oscilloscope should be able to reveal those.

Top Bottom