• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

cd45123

If the Hegel H20 costs $6000 for 200W/channel it better sounds rich. Because after buying this I won't be rich anymore. :rolleyes:
But really though, I’m not Ric Schultz, save up your eye rolls for the real trolls

cd45123

My Hegel and my Purifi were around the same price. Reason I returned the Purifi, it didn’t sound that much different - turns out, not really at all and I’m like, “why the hell do I have two of these and if this thing is supposed to sound like $40k monoblocks, I’m getting basically the same thing for a grand”. Listen, not trying to cause trouble here, just trying to learn.

Oklei

Forum Donor
I’m sorry, I meant no offense. Ofc you should keep what you like the most.

Robin L

Master Contributor
But really though, I’m not Ric Schultz, save up your eye rolls for the real trolls
I hung out a bit with Ric Schultz in Berkeley some 35 years ago, just as CDs started to appear. I was working at Tower Records, Berkeley, an analog evangelist at the time. He demoed some wire changes into his home-brew speakers, had electronic gear without cases all over his floor. I guess his cat knew better than to step foot into them.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP was certainly trolling, not sure why he deserved a ban though. Being obdurately unscientific and exhibiting unacceptable behavior are two different things. Perhaps I missed something.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I found difficult to accept about stricter testing/objectivism is the idea that the best amp/DAC you can get* may well be the one you HAVE. How boring is that? Easier on the wallet, though.

*never really bothered with cables and tweaks

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP was certainly trolling, not sure why he deserved a ban though. Being obdurately unscientific and exhibiting unacceptable behavior are two different things. Perhaps I missed something.
He is not banned. Just can't post in this thread.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Or a laughing emoji....[/QUOT
Putzey's claim can be true based on better measured performance. Or performance per dollar. Which might not mean it sounds bette
Or the joy of better engineering, like the feeling of satisfaction one gets when writing some really good code. It’s very close to the feelings one has listening to beautiful music or looking at great art.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Don't forget St. Cecelia, my favorite. Patron Saint of music. Her day is coming up, November 22
Unfortunately, we will not be playing in the church on St. Cecilia’s, as we traditionally do. We’re not a very good wind band, and the church choir is only fair to middlin’, but these are the traditions that keep our villages together here in Luxembourg. I hope we can pick them up after COVID.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Unfortunately, we will not be playing in the church on St. Cecilia’s, as we traditionally do. We’re not a very good wind band, and the church choir is only fair to middlin’, but these are the traditions that keep our villages together here in Luxembourg. I hope we can pick them up after COVID.
Too bad. What's your instrument?

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Too bad. What's your instrument?
The tuba.
56520BD8-14C2-4C09-8FF6-51E9ABBF0948.jpeg

Sukie

Forum Donor
When I'm not on ASR I'm a priest in charge of 5 rural parishes in the UK. We've really felt the lack of singing and church music, although one of my churches has a little choir that has been able to sing due to previous relaxations in UK law.

I had to tell our congregations today that we'll be "closed" for worship for the next 4 weeks (including Remembrance Day) due to the new UK lockdown.

Music (listening and performing) has such a therapeutic effect and (regardless of one's own beliefs) churches and cathedrals are often repositories of musical richness.

PS - I'm adamantly opposed to "shoehorning" religion into any of our threads and will be the first to call out others who do. Music, on the other hand (secular/religious/whatever) - I'll shoehorn away!

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Is it a MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC tuba? :cool:
The tuba is, but the player is only 2D approximative.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
In the North of England (where I'm originally from) we have a great tradition of brass bands, often associated with the coal mining and steel industries. The sight of this might tuba takes me back to some great concerts, and also to the film "Brassed Off".
I am a great fan of the Grimethorpe Colliery Band, I have nearly all their CDs and DVDs. Also a huge fan of Peter Skellern, who used to collaborate with the GCB a lot. I was sad to hear of his passing due to a brain tumour. He was a great guy and a great artist — and a man of the Church of England in the end. One of his wonderfully witty songs is “Vicarious Vestments”, which as a man of the Church yourself you might know but if not, will certainly enjoy.

Robin L

Master Contributor
When I'm not on ASR I'm a priest in charge of 5 rural parishes in the UK. We've really felt the lack of singing and church music, although one of my churches has a little choir that has been able to sing due to previous relaxations in UK law.

I had to tell our congregations today that we'll be "closed" for worship for the next 4 weeks (including Remembrance Day) due to the new UK lockdown.

Music (listening and performing) has such a therapeutic effect and (regardless of one's own beliefs) churches and cathedrals are often repositories of musical richness.

PS - I'm adamantly opposed to "shoehorning" religion into any of our threads and will be the first to call out others who do. Music, on the other hand (secular/religious/whatever) - I'll shoehorn away!
It's one of those weird things for me, hardly anything affects me as much as Sacred Choral. I don't know why, but it's an enclosed and protected mental zone, one where I always felt the intended effect in spite of my belief system.

paddycrow

Forum Donor

Did I miss something? The OP is insoc, the user that got thread banned was markk02474. If they are the same person, they did a good job of disguising it.

Top Bottom