• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

Oklei

Forum Donor
There is no way avoiding proper level matched abx tests. I had it countless times in the past. I could swear I hear a difference. Sometimes bias confirmative sometimes anti bias confirmative. But in the end I had to admit that I was not able to distinguish the gear/cable under test conditions. But I strongly believed I could. You just can't trust yourself when it comes to audio perception. It's hard to admit if one's so convinced. Therefore there is no other option than test it properly for yourself. This is the way.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You should test that.
But there would be no point , because he "knows" he can do it.
Think if we can find an amenable local ASR member, with a 'resolving' system, perhaps we have a taker? Two competently-designed amps or DACs, in a level-matched ABX? Or some LCR-matched cables or signal cleaners?
Ah, but then there would be pressure and not comfortable and and and

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Think if we can find an amenable local ASR member, with a 'resolving' system, perhaps we have a taker? Two competently-designed amps or DACs, in a level-matched ABX? Or some LCR-matched cables or signal cleaners?
I
How often do you hear "differences", tho?
But there would be no point , because he "knows" he can do it.
Ah, but then there would be pressure and not comfortable and and and

I think good faith is a minimum requirement for such a test, as if not entered into in the spirit of learning would be likely to be just go on and on.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
OFAT (one factor at a time) testing is a waste of resources. Factorial testing using a DOE (design of experiments) approach is infinitely more efficient. However, it requires the ability to measure a response and the different levels need to be carefully selected. It can't be done with a subjective listening test.

I've seen it first hand. A group of confident audiophiles go into a blind test convinced they'll be able to pick the better cable (or whatever component). After the results are tabulated and they learn that they may as well have been flipping a coin, some accept that their limitations have been exposed and others go about trying to find fault with the test.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no way avoiding proper level matched abx tests. I had it countless times in the past. I could swear I hear a difference. Sometimes bias confirmative sometimes anti bias confirmative. But in the end I had to admit that I was not able to distinguish the gear/cable under test conditions. But I strongly believed I could. You just can't trust yourself when it comes to audio perception. It's hard to admit if one's so convinced. Therefore there is no other option than test it properly for yourself. This is the way.
This is the way!

The experience is quite something. Things you thought were slap you in the face obvious just disappear like so much smoke in the air. I understand why it is an uncomfortable experience. But such experiences are where one can grow. And as growth experiences go this one is pretty innocuous.

markk02474

True, but sometimes I like to exercise my patience :D

The problem here is that people, who put magical lumps of play dough on top of their gear to align the cosmic energy with the all hearing third ear on the high priestess of the planet Zorg, have the exact same experiences and come to the exact same conclusion.

They actually DO hear a huge difference, even though there is none. What makes your case any different?

Give me anything solid to support your claim, and I'll gladly shut my trap.

Distortion from vibration is a real thing. Ever hear of tube microphonics? Capacitor microphonics? 30 some years ago everyone in the room experienced an improvement during a double blind test of putting a cd player on an air suspension table (designed for laser optics because vibration matters there too). It wasn't an earth shattering improvement, but everyone was able to correctly identify when the air table was used. This, even though all the gear was in a back room behind the listening room with the speakers! Expensive piece of gear which inspired many anti vibration products since. Hobbyists went for the inflated bicycle inner tube under a board solution.

Not all tweaks have to be expensive. Here is one from Ric Schultz at Tweakaudio to decouple the magnetic field of your speaker cables from floor interference. But, if you don't hear differences in dacs or power conditioning, don't even bother.
:
CableLifter.jpeg

Last edited:

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Distortion from vibration is a real thing. Ever hear of tube microphonics? Capacitor microphonics? 30 some years ago everyone in the room experienced an improvement during a double blind test of putting a cd player on an air suspension table (designed for laser optics because vibration matters there too). It wasn't an earth shattering difference, but everyone was able to correctly identify when the air table was used. Expensive piece of gear which inspired many anti vibration products since. Hobbyists went for the inflated bicycle inner tube under a board solution.
The woo is very strong here.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
30 some years ago everyone in the room experienced an improvement during a double blind test of putting a cd player on an air suspension table (designed for laser optics because vibration matters there too). It wasn't an earth shattering difference, but everyone was able to correctly identify when the air table was used.

Do you have a link to this study, please?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion from vibration is a real thing. Ever hear of tube microphonics? Capacitor microphonics? 30 some years ago everyone in the room experienced an improvement during a double blind test of putting a cd player on an air suspension table (designed for laser optics because vibration matters there too). It wasn't an earth shattering improvement, but everyone was able to correctly identify when the air table was used. This, even though all the gear was in a back room behind the listening room with the speakers! Expensive piece of gear which inspired many anti vibration products since. Hobbyists went for the inflated bicycle inner tube under a board solution.

Not all tweaks have to be expensive. Here is one from Ric Schultz at Tweakaudio to decouple the magnetic field of your speaker cables from floor interference. But, if you don't hear differences in dacs or power conditioning, don't even bother.
:View attachment 90517
Good one!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
to decouple the magnetic field of your speaker cables from floor interference.

What floor interference? What are the physical principles involved in this?

And now before you come up with yet another thing, please at least try answering any of the previous dozen questions asking you to back up any of your claims..

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Not all tweaks have to be expensive. Here is one from Ric Schultz at Tweakaudio to decouple the magnetic field of your speaker cables from floor interference.

:facepalm: I bet those also pass blind tests with flying colors? And like voodooless says, what on earth is "floor interference"?!?

But, if you don't hear differences in dacs or power conditioning, don't even bother.

Thank you. What a relief :)

tw99

This forum DESPERATELY needs a "do not like" button.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks, good laugh to start the day.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is one from Ric Schultz at Tweakaudio to decouple the magnetic field of your speaker cables from floor interference.

I’m growing more convinced this is a satire account. Thomas?

Top Bottom