• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for home audio USB interface

billybuck

I’m looking to replace a Sound Blaster X-Fi HD due to aging driver issues with modern Windows. I’m currently using a mini-PC essentially as a DSP and Plexamp renderer, with the interface also acting as line-level analog input for a (preamped) phono signal, as well as spdif input from a television. All are variously processed and output via spdif to a single digital channel of a (pre-Audessy) Denon 3805.

I know there are more efficient ways to handle DSP, but the mini-PC gives me the ability to tinker with various projects and home-brew programming, such as real-time vinyl click reduction and bass summing, room correction, etc.

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive interface that’s designed for home audio? I don’t need mic inputs or preamps, or even analog outputs, but the spdif in/outs are critical. Though the X-Fi didn't win any awards in Amir’s review, I’m starting to realize it filled a unique market niche more geared to home systems rather than studios. Many years ago, I had an M-Audio Audiophile that was also designed for line-level use, but its drivers also gradually went out of support.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Cannot agree more regarding the venerable x-fi HD.
Have you considered the X4? On the contrary to the X3, the line in socket is also a toslink in, so has both in and out. The G6 also has toslink in and out. They aren't cheap new but can be found cheap used... but no clue if they can do everything you need.

OP
billybuck

billybuck

Thanks for the recommendation - I’m now looking further into the X4. Hadn’t previously considered it due to frustration with Creative drivers on the X-Fi HD, but after surveying the field I’m not seeing any other consumer-grade devices that can do highish res AND have optical I/O. In fact, I’m not seeing many spdif inputs even on studio-grade units, except for multichannel devices that need it for ADAT chaining.

I futzed around a little more with the X-Fi, trying to get the spdif input to work, but it appears there’s a bug in the Win 10 driver that doesn’t allow you to choose passthrough mode (or any mode). It will accept 16/44 PCM, but not the AC3 coming from my ancient Sony TV output (which it should according to docs).

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kipman725

SPDIF/AES3 is on the way out due to audio over IP tech like Dante, AES67, AVB. You could get format converters to Dante and use Dante virtual soundcard?

Top Bottom