• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for first monitor speaker

Haxxor

It's going to be my first monitor speaker, recently getting into producing music, mixing/mastering and looking for a suggestion. My budget around 100-300 Usd. I've been checking reviews, forums like crazy cannot decide which one yet. On my list I got:

Budget friendly ones

Presonus eris 3.5
Edifier R1280DBs (not a monitor speaker)
Mackie cr3-x

Less budget friendly

TANNOY : Reveal 402
Fluid Audio : F4
JBL 305p

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
None of the budget choices are really cutting it as serious monitors, consider those more multimedia speakers than anything else. The Reveal 402s are supposedly decent, but don't expect any miracles in bass and level handling out of a 4".

The Presonus Eris E5 ($135 each) is probably about the minimum I'd recommend, or for somewhat larger listening distances, the 305Ps (their hiss levels mean you don't want to sit too close anyway, and that gets worse if you don't have balanced connections). Eris E5 XTs should also do well but need some EQ to straighten out the frequency response. Behringer B2030A should be solid if you need even more oomph. Mackie's MR524 with known low hiss levels is another good nearfield option. If you can stretch the budget to $190 each, there'll be even more good options like the Kali LP6 V2 and KRK RP5 G4s.

As you'll be able to tell, the best choices are going to depend on your space constraints and listening distance.

Don't forget to account for the necessary support infrastructure either. Pads or stands or whatever, cabling, around $100 for a basic audio interface (otherwise I'd at least recommend a Behringer HD400 for use with unbalanced e.g. onboard outputs to evade ground loop hell), and perhaps even an attempt at basic room treatment depending on how bad it is (but don't smother everything in moving blankets, it'll make for very uneven reverb times over frequency).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also sent back a pair of 305p's due to hiss from tweaters. I bought a pair of Tannoy Reveal 402's instead which I was very happy with until I upgraded to iLoud MTMs. This was for music enjoyment, rather than mixing/production, etc.

OP
H

Haxxor

None of the budget choices are really cutting it as serious monitors, consider those more multimedia speakers than anything else. The Reveal 402s are supposedly decent, but don't expect any miracles in bass and level handling out of a 4".

The Presonus Eris E5 ($135 each) is probably about the minimum I'd recommend, or for somewhat larger listening distances, the 305Ps (their hiss levels mean you don't want to sit too close anyway, and that gets worse if you don't have balanced connections). Eris E5 XTs should also do well but need some EQ to straighten out the frequency response. Behringer B2030A should be solid if you need even more oomph. Mackie's MR524 with known low hiss levels is another good nearfield option. If you can stretch the budget to $190 each, there'll be even more good options like the Kali LP6 V2 and KRK RP5 G4s.

As you'll be able to tell, the best choices are going to depend on your space constraints and listening distance.

Don't forget to account for the necessary support infrastructure either. Pads or stands or whatever, cabling, around $100 for a basic audio interface (otherwise I'd at least recommend a Behringer HD400 for use with unbalanced e.g. onboard outputs to evade ground loop hell), and perhaps even an attempt at basic room treatment depending on how bad it is (but don't smother everything in moving blankets, it'll make for very uneven reverb times over frequency).
Great answer thanks! Well, first of, I live in Asia, all imported electronic devices has additional fee on them like shipping and profit, so they cost extra 100 usd more at least. Also second hand market here very scarce, hard to find cheaper options online. Even Jbl 305 costs 380usd.

I was considering Kali lp6 and Adam t5v, too, but they're bit out of my budget right now. I couldn't find E5 by online search, all are E5 XT not sure about difference. Mackie mr524 an behringer 2030a about same price, maybe behringer little cheaper.

Yeah, also have to buy an interface, I got focusrite scarlett olo, PreSonus Audiobox USB 96, AIYIMA A07 in my list, which one you recommend?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Great answer thanks! Well, first of, I live in Asia, all imported electronic devices has additional fee on them like shipping and profit, so they cost extra 100 usd more at least. Also second hand market here very scarce, hard to find cheaper options online. Even Jbl 305 costs 380usd.

I was considering Kali lp6 and Adam t5v, too, but they're bit out of my budget right now. I couldn't find E5 by online search, all are E5 XT not sure about difference. Mackie mr524 an behringer 2030a about same price, maybe behringer little cheaper.

Yeah, also have to buy an interface, I got focusrite scarlett olo, PreSonus Audiobox USB 96, AIYIMA A07 in my list, which one you recommend?
Aiyama A07 is a stereo power amp for passive speakers, not an audio interface.

If one mic input is sufficient and driving headphones isn't a priority, the Scarlett Solo is fine. The Audiobox USB has two inputs but they're crap and basically unsuited for dynamic headphones... I think this interface has an issue with a noisy virtual ground, too, so definitely not the best analog section in the world. The price has dropped a fair bit since Julian Krause's review came out, it is cheaper than a Behringer UMC204HD now around here.

Other decent budget options you could look out for are Arturia Minifuse 1 and Behringer UMC202HD, perhaps an M-Audio AIR|Hub or Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2 as well.

Top Bottom