• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for DAC Headphone AMP for MTM

link0304

I have recently purchased the iLoud MTM and would like to have a dac to connect for my pc.

Moreover, I would also love to have an headphone amp as well.

I noticed that JDS Element 2 is a good choice but what cables should I get for connecting these 2 as the MTM need XLR connection.

If I want volume knob and headphone/speaker switch button, is this the only combo of choice or any recommendation with similar budget?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have recently purchased the iLoud MTM and would like to have a dac to connect for my pc.

Moreover, I would also love to have an headphone amp as well.

I noticed that JDS Element 2 is a good choice but what cables should I get for connecting these 2 as the MTM need XLR connection.

If I want volume knob and headphone/speaker switch button, is this the only combo of choice or any recommendation with similar budget?
I'd go with the Topping EX5 over the Element 2. Slightly less expensive and it has balanced XLR outputs to match the inputs on the MTMs.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Either DAC mentioned above would work well with the MTMs. I agree that using balanced cables is preferable, but just to clarify, the MTM accepts either 1/4” TRS or XLR in its dual-purpose input.

8629AE96-4C20-4D07-A163-A79D17ADF2C9.jpeg

Fvu31

Any DAC or DAC/AMP with volume control will work as long as it has RCA or XLR outputs. I personally use them on my desk with the JDS labs Atom AMP and Atom DAC. If you really want a big volume knob, the element 2 is excellent. You just need to buy RCA cables and RCA to 1/4 adapters to connect to the speakers unbalanced. I've had this setup for 2 years and it has been amazing. The speakers do not require a lot of power since they are powered monitors. Obviously, if you want to go unbalanced with XLR cables, there are many DACs that offers that option.

Top Bottom