• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for closed back headphones

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Take a look at the Focal Elegia, very good dynamics and mid range, I just ordered a pair yesterday :)

ithehappy

Comfort of the 770, for my head, was very good after bending the headband backwards a little to reduce clamping force. I'm afraid that this was the only positive point.
Ha ha OK. If you go ahead and order the 700 PRO X please keep us informed here about how you find its sound signature. I will be keen to know. It's a rarity to find 770 disliking people, it's as though Beyer will file a lawsuit against anyone who speaks negatively about them. I personally they are a very overrated headphone. Studio professional monitor, meh. I just think people like bright, coloured sound signature, same goes for 7506, extremely boosted lows and highs, yet considered a studio standard! If anything the M40x was really neutral to me ears, but then again what do I know.

Geert

Major Contributor
Beats the boring Sennheiser and overly bright Bayer stuff

The DT 700 Pro X we've been discussing here is not overly bright. The Elegia won't be bright for sure, with its massive dip between 3kHz and 6kHz, and uneven highs. The Beyerdynamic will be easier to eq.

DeepFried

Tons of people complian about the ear piercing Beyer highs.

oh yes, I love my DT770's but only with EQ, without the treble causes me actual pain. They're just so comfortable to wear though, so I wont give them up so long as EQ is an option.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Just got the Elegia, using Amir's EQ, they are wonderful (Well built and have great tonality) I am an instant fan at $450, mid range is great, bass is good enough, treble is not to bright, and most importantly they don't sound super closed in, not boxy at all.

Dan Clark Aeon RT are detailed, but sound small and are dry, almost to clinical and lack bass. But... they are built well, very light and have great isolation and perceived quality. I cannot recommend these.

Beyer, just don't, shrill and wonky. They do have good sound stage and decent enough resolution.

Last edited:

Peterinvan

I like to use my Elegias because they are comfortable and fairly neutral. I can ware them for hours.

Although my LCD-XC (2019 Bubinga Wood) are nearly twice the weight, they are my choice when I want to enjoy a warm cocoon of bass, with clear imaging and timbre.

Both phones offer good isolation.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Sundara closed back just dropped.

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Hello all, As the title says, I'm looking for a pair of closed back headphones.

I've owned all sorts of headphones, and the best ones for me thus far are the Drop HD6XX, which sound great to my taste (except some low-bass deficiency I can EQ), and are so comfortable I barely feel them on.
I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD 569 which are nice, but fall well behind the HD6XX. Headphones I've owned before and didn't like: Beyerdynamic DT770 (thin and bright), AKG K701 (same, but not as bad), Audio Technica ATH-50X (I have no idea what's all the hype about), and several grados (too bright, but otherwise acceptable). Also, I've made 2 attempts to find more "serios" closed back headphones which didn't succeed to say the least- the Meze classic 99 (muffled) and Final Sonorous VI (were actually quite good, except they were so heavy and uncomfortable I couldn't wear them for more than 15 minutes).

Long story short- the only problem I have with the HD6XX is the lack of privacy. So, does anyone know of something similar in sound (wouldn't mind more low-bass), in closed back form?
E-MU Teak headphones are excellent - E-MU Teak Review (Amir)

Top Bottom