• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for best DAC/Amp combo under $200

jc80

I have a set of Sennheiser HD 58X headphones, and I'm looking for a recommendation for the best DAC/Amp combo under $200. The 58X has a 150 ohm impedance level so they aren't hard to drive. I would like to have USB and Optical inputs, but would settle for just USB if it was the best device in this price range.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd probably go like: Topping D30 for the DAC, and JDS Atom for the amp... People seem to be happy as well with the Topping NX4 as an all-in-one kind of thing... All three of these have been tested on the site here...

Yes, good match, except it would cost you more than 200$.
Just the Topping DX3 Pro with its headphones out should be ok.
Or, a Topping D10 with the JDS Lab Atom amp. It would cost just above 200$ but it's what I have and enjoy.

Svperstar

Grace Designs SDAC is $80 and its on Mass Drop right now.

Atom amp is the best amp for $99

ScofieldKid

Also Aune X1S as another alternative to the Topping NX4...

ScofieldKid

How does one acquire a Khadas Tone Board in the U.S. ???

JASM

Although I'm completely new to 1) hifi audio and 2) this forum, I'm super impressed on how thorough everyone is here. Thank you all for putting so much of your time in reviews, comparisons, help, etc. I've been looking for a DAC/Amp combo for under $200 myself, which eventually led me here. I'm a bit more informed of what's out there and where we are in 2019 when it comes to quality vs price. However, I've never tried anything except commercial receivers that I had hooked up to the ps3/ps4.

What I'd Like:
A nice desktop DAC + headphone amp or Combo device
USB and Optical IN for my computer and PS4
Quality DAC
Quality HP OUT so it can power my entry level headphones (32 Ohm) and any future HIFI headphone I purchase
Reliable, so it can last me a good while.

My considerations:
Topping DX3 Pro - $220
It's a great DAC with headphone amp. It has everything I could want. However, I'm hesitant because of all the problems people have been having. Although, since following the DX4 Pro thread people say topping is working on a fix. Also found this seller saying they have a March edition (link here). Not sure. I send them a message to see what they reply with.

Modi 3 + Magni 3 - $198
Reliable and powerful. Scores well on SINAD chart.

Khadas + Atom - $198 (+$25 if you build case for Khadas Tone Board) (+$25 on SPDIF to Optical adapter)
Amazing DAC and Headphone Amp. Only con is the SPDIF IN on the Khadas. Need adapter to make it work with optical source (ps4, tv, etc). Is it worth it though?

Topping MX3 - $130
Little engine that could do it all. DAC, headphone amp, speaker amp with sub-woofer out, BT. Not the best/latest components, but has everything you could want and they work well.

Micca OriGen G2 - $110
Great DAC with headphone amp. Older, but good Wolfson circuitry. Analog combination optical S/PDIF digital output is a plus.

What do you suggest I go for? Or would you recommend something else to enter the world of HIFI Audio?

Thank you for your time.

Veri

Master Contributor
Micca OriGen G2 - $110
Great DAC with headphone amp. Older, but good Wolfson circuitry. Analog combination optical S/PDIF digital output is a plus.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-micca-origen-g2-dac-amp.4805/
I would not go for the OriGen. I mean it's a convenient device for sure, but far from top value for dollar in terms of raw performance. My vote would be DX3 since it is a very impressive dac/amp all-in-one, but Atom + good DAC should be same if not better if you don't mind the interconnects needed.

Kingsley

Last edited:
Top Bottom