• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for an inexpensive speakers amp

BorisG

Good day!
Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I first wanted to thank you for the very helpful information I gleaned from the reviews and discussions. Thanks to you I discovered Topping, and the frankly amazing 9038s, which has been my daily headphone driver since.

In this post I wanted to ask for your recommendation / advice for a speaker amp. We have an old Marantz system, probably from the ‘80s, inherited from my partner’s granddad. We use it both for music listening and movies - connected to the TV via a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100.

Recently the amplifier broke down, and instead of repairing it, we thought we’d rather buy something newer and better. I did some research here on ASR, but the top recommended amplifiers are over our budget (which is ideally around 600-700 euros, including a preamp, though we could go up to a 1000). Is there anything good you might recommend at that price point? The speakers require 25W each.

Thanks in advance!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Good day!
Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I first wanted to thank you for the very helpful information I gleaned from the reviews and discussions. Thanks to you I discovered Topping, and the frankly amazing 9038s, which has been my daily headphone driver since.

In this post I wanted to ask for your recommendation / advice for a speaker amp. We have an old Marantz system, probably from the ‘80s, inherited from my partner’s granddad. We use it both for music listening and movies - connected to the TV via a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100.

Recently the amplifier broke down, and instead of repairing it, we thought we’d rather buy something newer and better. I did some research here on ASR, but the top recommended amplifiers are over our budget (which is ideally around 600-700 euros, including a preamp, though we could go up to a 1000). Is there anything good you might recommend at that price point? The speakers require 25W each.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

What kind of speakers do you have now? Are you happy with them?

Do you need an AVR, or are you just listening to stereo?

noobie1

Take a look at amps by Cambridge Audio. New CXA61 integrated amp (rated 60W/ch into 8ohms) is currently on sale for $750 here in the US.

I know Cambridge Audio also sells refurbished directly on eBay. I've seen a few of their amps being measured by enthusiasts (it was probably some version of the 651 line) and the results were very favorable. In the US, the manufacturer lists refurbished AXA25 integrated amp for $199 which is rated for 25W into 8 ohms. If I recall correctly, I saw the 851 line refurbished amps being offered for under $1000 and 651 for around $600 by the manufacturer earlier this year. I was looking at backup amps while mine was in the shop.

OP
B

BorisG

Thanks for all replies! We only need a stereo amp, not an AVR. The speakers we have are Marantz HD-250, and we’re not looking to replace them right now (though some degree of future-proofing would of course be good).

Will take a look at the Yamaha R-N803 and Cambridge Audio CXA61.

OP
B

BorisG

After looking at these two models, one other question - what do you think to the WXA-50 as an alternative to the R-N803? It’s almost half the price.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, WXA-50 would be another good option, I think, as long as you don't have any hangups about using a Class D amp.

OP
B

BorisG

Yes, WXA-50 would be another good option, I think, as long as you don't have any hangups about using a Class D amp.
Erm, should I have hangups about using a Class D amp?

escape2

I don't think so. The measurement tests that Amir posted look pretty good, IMO.

But if you read ASR long enough, you'll see sentiments of some people claiming their inferiority to traditional Class A/B...

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
The Yamaha A-S series worth mentioning too, especially the A-S501 and A-S701.

The R-N803D is based on the power amp of A-S701/801 and it was reviewed here, the WXA-50 here and the A-S701/801 has some reviews here and here.

Colonel7

No, you should not have concerns about performant Class D amps like the WXA-50; they're also much more efficient BTW. One thing to keep in mind for the WXA-50 versus the Yamaha 7xx or 8xx series amps is that it supplies about half the power in case you ever want to go bigger in terms of room size or getting new speakers that are less sensitive and/or require more power.

snapcrackle

No, you should not have concerns about performant Class D amps like the WXA-50; they're also much more efficient BTW. One thing to keep in mind for the WXA-50 versus the Yamaha 7xx or 8xx series amps is that it supplies about half the power in case you ever want to go bigger in terms of room size or getting new speakers that are less sensitive and/or require more power.

If you were a true audiophile you would avoid Class D amps and SMPS psu's like the plague. - then ultimately you would buy a Single Ended Valve amp and connect all your Hi-Fi with expensive linear power supplies for a superior sounding system.

It would measure terribly but sound amazing :-J

OP
B

BorisG

If you were a true audiophile you would avoid Class D amps and SMPS psu's like the plague. - then ultimately you would buy a Single Ended Valve amp and connect all your Hi-Fi with expensive linear power supplies for a superior sounding system.

It would measure terribly but sound amazing :-J
Well, too late now! :D
WXA-50 is ordered and in the post.

Many thanks to everybody for your advice! I’ll post impressions in a couple of days.

dogtagkz

Well, too late now! :D
WXA-50 is ordered and in the post.

Many thanks to everybody for your advice! I’ll post impressions in a couple of days.

Hey man, how are you liking yours? I am planning to purchase this for my JBL A130.

estbarul

Hey i'm also planning on using it for A130s, so you think it can fill a big room? Like 65m2? Power wise

Zek

Major Contributor
Are you sure the A130 can fill that much space?

escape2

Hey i'm also planning on using it for A130s, so you think it can fill a big room? Like 65m2? Power wise
Hopefully you're getting a couple of subs to go with those A130s. :)

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Marantz MA500, good 125W mono amp available for less than $200 each.

Top Bottom