• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for AMP after Klipsch RP-5000f

Marajaz

Hi everyone. First time poster here!

I recently got a pair of RP-5000f (rated 100W RMS 8ohm, 96dB sensitivity) and I am looking for building the rest of the system (budget around 300€)

As source, I have:
  • turntable
  • stream via BT/Airplay
  • TV (ARC/eARC or Toslink)
  • Computer (USB/Toslink, worst case via TV ?)
Any specific suggestion on what's best for Klipsch speakers?
I am in doubt about getting an AVR (and benefit of eARC and future expansion to 3.1/5.1) or a stereo amp (main focus is music on a 2.0/2.1 system). In other words, is a stereo amp (with or without integrated DAC) potentially giving better quality when compared to average AVR, at same budget?

I excluded solutions as Loxjie A30, Denon pma 50, DRA-100, WXA-50 etc that I see do not offer enough power to pilot the speakers
For reference, looking around at stores/used market around, I could see:
  • Stereo amp: a Denon PM6007, but also (overbudget) Yamaha A-S501, H/K Citation Amp
  • AVR: Sony STR DN1080, DN1060 - DR590, Yamaha RX-S601D , R-N402D, Marantz NR 1602
I have no idea on a possible alternative with DAC+amp

Any helpful advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How are you thinking about power needed for speakers? While Klipsch overstates sensitivity, they're still relatively sensitive so depends on your distance from speakers and desired spl levels as to what's a suitable amp for the most part. Maybe use this spl calculator to get an idea of how it works

Your budget seems fairly limited if this is for a suitable dac/pre-amp/amp/integrated amp type solution. Then again I have no idea what your euro gets you where you are for what gear :) Are you only considering used gear?

ps as far as using the calculator with the Klipsch sensitivity spec I'd probably knock off 6dB from their sensitivity spec, altho I've seen measurments that are closer to being only 4dB different....

Last edited:

Taiga

I was in a similar situation as yours with Klipsch RP 280f speakers and older stereo components. I purchased an Audiophonics Hypex NC502MP amp and a 1Mii dac. With the dac, I can play music from my iphone or ipad, as well as my CD player (toslink cable) and TV (coaxial cable).

The Audiophonics amp is really nice. I expect that their less expensive, lower power Hypex amps would be great as well and provide plenty of power. The amp is smaller than a shoe box and barely gets warm.

I just recieved the 1Mii dac and so far am not disappointed. No glitches in set-up and the sound is very clean. It is remarkably small as is the remote. The remote works very well and does not seem finicky to use off-axis. Topping, SMSL, and others make similar dacs at various prices. I think the choice comes down to the features you want.

I had considered various integrated amps and receivers. I wanted something for stereo music, rather than home theater. I think that separates provide more flexibility as music sources evolve.

I hope this helps.

OP
M

Marajaz

How are you thinking about power needed for speakers? While Klipsch overstates sensitivity, they're still relatively sensitive so depends on your distance from speakers and desired spl levels as to what's a suitable amp for the most part. Maybe use this spl calculator to get an idea of how it works

Your budget seems fairly limited if this is for a suitable dac/pre-amp/amp/integrated amp type solution. Then again I have no idea what your euro gets you where you are for what gear :) Are you only considering used gear?

ps as far as using the calculator with the Klipsch sensitivity spec I'd probably knock off 6dB from their sensitivity spec, altho I've seen measurments that are closer to being only 4dB different....

Thanks for the advice
I am actually more confused now tho :) According to the calculator, even a 20W amp would be enough to have something 100dB. Then why Klipsch is suggesting not to go below 80W for those speakers?

On the budget, I see it now. I was basically putting it on same level of cost of speakers (I got them for 350USD). I am looking on used market as well, but can increase a bit if it makes sense
but at this point not sure on what to look for, if a DAC+amp or integrated amp/AVR.
A pre-amp maybe seems an overkill at the moment

I was in a similar situation as yours with Klipsch RP 280f speakers and older stereo components. I purchased an Audiophonics Hypex NC502MP amp and a 1Mii dac. With the dac, I can play music from my iphone or ipad, as well as my CD player (toslink cable) and TV (coaxial cable).

The Audiophonics amp is really nice. I expect that their less expensive, lower power Hypex amps would be great as well and provide plenty of power. The amp is smaller than a shoe box and barely gets warm.

I just recieved the 1Mii dac and so far am not disappointed. No glitches in set-up and the sound is very clean. It is remarkably small as is the remote. The remote works very well and does not seem finicky to use off-axis. Topping, SMSL, and others make similar dacs at various prices. I think the choice comes down to the features you want.

I had considered various integrated amps and receivers. I wanted something for stereo music, rather than home theater. I think that separates provide more flexibility as music sources evolve.

I hope this helps.

Here in Norway, I cannot find Audiophonics Hypex products.
What can be decent amp to use in addition to a dac like 1Mii/WiiM etc?

Something like a Sony STR-DN1080 seems a good and easy choice (eARC+Airplay and decent reviews). or a A-S501 + DAC for airplay/USB if sound results will improve

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the advice
I am actually more confused now tho :) According to the calculator, even a 20W amp would be enough to have something 100dB. Then why Klipsch is suggesting not to go below 80W for those speakers?

On the budget, I see it now. I was basically putting it on same level of cost of speakers (I got them for 350USD). I am looking on used market as well, but can increase a bit if it makes sense
but at this point not sure on what to look for, if a DAC+amp or integrated amp/AVR.
A pre-amp maybe seems an overkill at the moment

Here in Norway, I cannot find Audiophonics Hypex products.
What can be decent amp to use in addition to a dac like 1Mii/WiiM etc?

Something like a Sony STR-DN1080 seems a good and easy choice (eARC+Airplay and decent reviews). or a A-S501 + DAC for airplay/USB if sound results will improve
I found Fosi DA2120C
I see only a max wattage type rating in the Klipsch spec sheet (100W continuous, 400W peak). That's more like the max point before you damage them, not what you need particularly. How would Klipsch know how loud you want at what distance in what room?

Generally with speakers of such sensitivity you're not using much power with average use, depends on how much overhead/peak capability you want. THX standards are an average level of 85dB with allowance for 20dB peaks (and that level is quite loud, particularly for in-home use).

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone. First time poster here!

I recently got a pair of RP-5000f (rated 100W RMS 8ohm, 96dB sensitivity) and I am looking for building the rest of the system (budget around 300€)

As source, I have:
  • turntable
  • stream via BT/Airplay
  • TV (ARC/eARC or Toslink)
  • Computer (USB/Toslink, worst case via TV ?)
Any specific suggestion on what's best for Klipsch speakers?
I am in doubt about getting an AVR (and benefit of eARC and future expansion to 3.1/5.1) or a stereo amp (main focus is music on a 2.0/2.1 system). In other words, is a stereo amp (with or without integrated DAC) potentially giving better quality when compared to average AVR, at same budget?

I excluded solutions as Loxjie A30, Denon pma 50, DRA-100, WXA-50 etc that I see do not offer enough power to pilot the speakers
For reference, looking around at stores/used market around, I could see:
  • Stereo amp: a Denon PM6007, but also (overbudget) Yamaha A-S501, H/K Citation Amp
  • AVR: Sony STR DN1080, DN1060 - DR590, Yamaha RX-S601D , R-N402D, Marantz NR 1602
I have no idea on a possible alternative with DAC+amp

Any helpful advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated!
Note that Klipsch ratings for their speakers don’t seem to be based on reality. Erin revised them and sensitivity was 89.5 and minimum impedance was 3.3. Whether or not that makes a difference or not, not sure but it is good to start with the right info for sure…Link to Erin’s review. LINK

46F5FC13-D02C-40FD-BCA6-20798DC36A41.png
I

Oso Polar

IMHO given your variety of sources AVR will be highly preferable - you'll get HDMI inputs with (e)ARC, probably inbuilt Spotify Connect/Airplay, easy way to integrate all your sources in one place and control them, ability to expand later for multichannel audio etc. Good AVR will have built-in calibration system (Audyssey /Dirac) which will make much more difference to the sound of these speakers than any difference between amplifiers. I doubt you can find an AVR with good calibration system new for 300€ but may be something used?

May be just buy some cheapest AVR with about 70-100W/channel power + required streaming features and call it a day? It'll bring all your devices together and will produce some sound. Once you'll have money for upgrade you'll just sell (or throw away) all this setup and buy something much better. It is just the budget is unrealistically low to get a good setup (using new equipment).

OP
M

Marajaz

Note that Klipsch ratings for their speakers don’t seem to be based on reality. Erin revised them and sensitivity was 89.5 and minimum impedance was 3.3. Whether or not that makes a difference or not, not sure but it is good to start with the right info for sure…Link to Erin’s review. LINK

View attachment 240668I

I will take a look (I guess I need to study and understand real implications of those data).
I see the review regards the newer Premiere II line, but I guess difference is not significant for my purpose

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would also second the AVR… any time you are wanting to get A/V involved it just makes everything so much easier. ..
Few other thoughts…
-If used in an option that that might be a way to go. Many people change AVRs Fairly often.
-Many have built in streaming and/or bluetooth
-Proper subwoofer out
-Many will have some built in EQ which can help as well

OP
M

Marajaz

IMHO given your variety of sources AVR will be highly preferable - you'll get HDMI inputs with (e)ARC, probably inbuilt Spotify Connect/Airplay, easy way to integrate all your sources in one place and control them, ability to expand later for multichannel audio etc. Good AVR will have built-in calibration system (Audyssey /Dirac) which will make much more difference to the sound of these speakers than any difference between amplifiers. I doubt you can find an AVR with good calibration system new for 300€ but may be something used?

May be just buy some cheapest AVR with about 70-100W/channel power + required streaming features and call it a day? It'll bring all your devices together and will produce some sound. Once you'll have money for upgrade you'll just sell (or throw away) all this setup and buy something much better. It is just the budget is unrealistically low to get a good setup (using new equipment).

Indeed an AVR is my first and easiest choice. It is my first system, and an AVR would be easiest solution to handle. Probably already a big improvement for me
The Sony STR-DN1080 has everything I need and many are talking good about it in the forum (despite no direct review). Good priced used ones (about 300USD)

However, I indicated that budget just comparing it to cost of speakers. I read in many topics here in ASR that investment should focus on speakers first and amp only follow.
This said, I would like to know what alternative I have to an AVR considering a budget increase, i.e. up to 500/600 USD
(more than that seems weird. 350USD for speakers and 1000 for amp?)

Something like
  • A-S301/A-S501 as amp (with phone-in for turntable). I struggle to find pure amplifiers tbh (I am currently living in Norway)
  • DAC (something like a Topping D50 /D50s) for TV and PC input. Eventually BT
  • Airplay via TV or an additional Streamer to connect to DAC
It adds complexity in system and sources control. I do not understand if it is a sensible improvement over the Sony ‍♂️

OP
M

Marajaz

Would also second the AVR… any time you are wanting to get A/V involved it just makes everything so much easier. ..
Few other thoughts…
-If used in an option that that might be a way to go. Many people change AVRs Fairly often.
-Many have built in streaming and/or bluetooth
-Proper subwoofer out
-Many will have some built in EQ which can help as well
+1 ;)

I find A LOT of models in the used market, just to pick one

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any Denon 3400/3500 (I think both of those have phono inputs for your turntable.

mikesal.luckylady

I use a Rotel RB-980bx and it pairs very well with any of the reference premier speakers. I have tried both Denon (AVR-4000) and Marantz (SR-6010) recievers to drive found them coloring the accoustics. But then again both products are more for home theater and less than 2 channel digital music.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a Rotel RB-980bx and it pairs very well with any of the reference premier speakers. I have tried both Denon (AVR-4000) and Marantz (SR-6010) recievers to drive found them coloring the accoustics. But then again both products are more for home theater and less than 2 channel digital music.
What a bunch of nonsense. Pairing is for wine/food....

Top Bottom