• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for a USB to SPDIF converter?

chelgrian

Does anyone have a recommendation for for a USB to SPDIF converter? This needs to be class compliant as the use case is to get output from an iPad in to an AVR which does not have a USB input

As far as I can tell most of them are based on an xmos chipset however there are massive differences in prices from unbranded things on amazon to hideously expensive things from audiophile manufacturers.

Amazon comes up with

but I would have thought it ought to be possible to do it more cheaply than that?

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can get the same product on the manufacturer's aliexpress store front for £35 + tax, so about £42, with free shipping

I think it looks reasonable if you need DSD support. Otherwise maybe you could try this one at about £21 plus tax:

I notice the first review on the site is a positive one from someone using it from his macbook's USB to a toslink receiver, so it looks good for your use.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you need/want UAC2?

I have 3 of these in different places, but I don't see them when searching on Amazon UK.

Works on the iPad. But it is electric SPDIF.

Top Bottom