• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for a turntable phono cable

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I'm hoping that you can help with a recommendation.

My analogue setup starts with a Pro-Ject Debut turntable (Ortofon OM20 MM cart) into an iFi Zen Phono amp, basic but pleasing.

I have started to hear obvious noise in one channel (left). Best way I can describe it is that is sounds like a little motor running - a fluttering noise - audible at my listening position. This is only for my analogue source, so it's not the PA5!

As I work through the options, I've noticed that the connection of my phono cable (turntable to pre-amp) is not tight at the phono amp. I'd like to change this for something with a better connection. Cable is the stock Pro-ject "Connect-IT"
Any recommendation or thoughts on a replacement cable?

Please note that I am NOT trying to "upgrade" a cable ... I'm on ASR! ... I'd like to rule out a source of noise.
Will any phono cables work or do I need to think about anything else because it's for a turntable?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the outer conductor prong is loose on the record player output jack, you can take a needle nose and gently bend the prongs, which will give you a more secure connection. That would be the easiest and cheapest thing to try.

For the noise, reverse the cable and see if it's still there, in the same channel. If so, the problem is not with your cable.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Does moving the RIAA and changing the cable routing affect the noise? Placing RIAA of cables too close to a radiating transformer or other noise pollutants matter

mike70

Low capacitance Mogami pro cable ... excelente and cheap, you can find it by many sellers in Ebay, 25-35 USD with 3'

OP
JeremyFife

JeremyFife

Does moving the RIAA and changing the cable routing affect the noise? Placing RIAA of cables too close to a radiating transformer or other noise pollutants matter
Nothing has changed in my setup, but I'll look at that

OP
JeremyFife

JeremyFife

Is this your cable:
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/connect-it-e/
At 130 pF, capacitance seems decent, but I wonder if you are running into issues with the way the cable is configured, with shielding only connected on the preamp side? That might work fine with some preamplifiers, but be problematic with others, depending on their design.
Yup, that's the cable - tbh I'd forgotten that this was sort of directional. I'll check that I've not just put it on the wrong way round! Nothing has changed though, so it's unlikely

levimax

Major Contributor
The best phono cable is a short cable... I have found it is well worth it to have the phono pre amp right next to TT... then run the high level output as far as you like.

spiral scratch

Yup, that's the cable - tbh I'd forgotten that this was sort of directional. I'll check that I've not just put it on the wrong way round! Nothing has changed though, so it's unlikely

so the shield on that cable is telescoping. reversing the direction might make a difference if it's a ground loop problem. general practice is to ground away from source which is how the manufacturer suggests to do it. flip the left and right, as was suggested to check if the cable is bad. sometimes (like 99% of the time) just reseating the cable fixes the problem. if it's not the cable you can also check the clips at the back of the cartridge for proper fit. and to your original question will any phono cable do the answer is "yes", but as was mentioned a slightly better cable may yield lower capacitance if that's required. just switch one thing at a time to be methodical and avoid confusion.

Last edited:
OP
JeremyFife

JeremyFife

Cable is ok - flipped left/right and noise stopped. Flipped them back and still no noise. The connection is loose though, at the amp. I'll get the pliers out if this comes back...

Thanks for the sane advice

spiral scratch

great! if you do decide to use the pliers just make sure to have your cable connected to an rca plug to avoid over crimping the connection. a gentle squeeze should suffice.

Top Bottom