• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for a pre-amp for an oldie but a good amp

Aneal

As title says I need some advice. This is my first power amp, which is a Audio Alchemy OM150. From my research it was good amp for its time. I'm looking for a pre-amp to pair with this amp. I don't know to much about this amp as it was a spur of the moment thing and got a good deal from a co-worker who upgraded to a Bryston amp I believe a 4b3 . Unfortunately I'm having a hard time fine all the spec or op manual for this amp, any info would be awesome. As of right now I'm looking at the Schiit audio Saga either the S or the + ( steer me to the right one) but I'm not set on it, if you got any recommendation its welcome, id like to keep the price under $500 CAN if possible. What I like about the saga is the volume control, remote control, and the two out-puts. I read through Amirm review and while it was a positive, i was little concern when he mention about "input impedance should be at least 30k Ohm". from what i found online the OM150 has 40k ohms so i should be ok. Can anyone confirm the input impedance spec thanks. My current set-up is a 2.1 system with the source coming from a computer, the amp is OM150, bookshelf speaker are Sony sscs5, Nobsound G2 amp to power my passive sub. Sorry for the essay im jus excited. So far with what speakers i have love the sound this amp makes.
Any help would be appreciated.

Audio Alchemy OM150

Specifications:

Input Impedance: 40K Ohms

Gain: 29dB

Power output: 150 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.08%

Signal to noise ratio: 100dB

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω (minimum)

egellings

Major Contributor
A 40K input impedance and 29dB of voltage gain is easy to drive, so just about any competent preamp, tube or solid state, will work with it.

Top Bottom