• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for 4-5" driver for DIY Build

hex168

Anarchy 554 or 558 depending on whether his amp can handle 4 ohms.

Cheap but sounds good:

Needs 1500 Hz crossover, response builds in baffle step (whether you need this depends on where you will put it):

Penelinfi

There's also Dayton nd91 / nd105 / nd140

Or TCP series, but on backorder currently

You could also try a mark audio full range driver I guess , though coming from a Logitech, he may be used to a "warm" sound with lots of bass

D

Deleted member 62801

MTG Designs AlTi DIY uses a combination of a HiVi M5N 5.25 inch woofer and a Dayton DC25T-8 tweeter. Very economic and worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

D!sco

The Tang Band W4-1720 and W5-1685 are on the higher end of the price spectrum, but play very cleanly well into the midrange as well as very low into the bass range. They get a bit stressed below 80hz, but at moderate volumes can really rock the house deeper than you'd expect. Having such a broad range can really allow a variety of crossover arrangements, and the distortion is great above 100hz. I haven't heard the 5" version but I imagine it's less stressed at similar volumes, though it supposedly has less upper range. Having such a broad extension should also make crossovers easier, as it will behave linearly until 8-10khz. The magnets are no joke, either. It exerts a lot of electrical control over these small woofers, and generally plays at a low sensitivity. Mine cover most of the vocal range, crossing at 3.3khz, and I only notice IMD when the port chuffs. It's nice not having voices split between two drivers, and it feels a lot like I have a dedicated midrange that can play adequate bass in the nearfield at the same time. It's also informing my current preference to have the "telephony" range (300-3000khz) covered by a single driver without phase flipping or directivity interference.

Top Bottom