• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for 2.1 setup: AVR vs. minidsp flex + Hypex Ncore NC252MP amp

tesseractASR

What is your opinion on the above two options? An AVR is a plug and play solution and can perform automatic measurements. Whereas a minidsp would require more manual tuning.
Both options are auto EQ with manual adjustment.

For my surround needs (running a 2.1 system, but will be going to 5.2 and trying Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization), I would go with the second option. I like Dirac, but XT32 + MultEQ app are doing a really good job with 2.1 right now.

For a 2.1-only system, the first option is most attractive.

Last edited:
OP
R

R.J.

1. At all of you who have opted for the minidsp flex + Hypex amp solution for a 2.1 only music system: Why would you prefer this option over an AVR except for the probably better performance of the signal chain?

2. On a scale of 1 = "No familiarity with audio measurements, but sane mind" to 10 = "Professional audio engineer", how much effort does it take to learn and configure the minidsp to get similar or at least better results than Audyssey MultEQ XT in a Denon X1700H?

Last edited:

samysound

1. At all of you who have opted for the minidsp flex + Hypex amp solution for a 2.1 only music system: Why would you prefer this option over an AVR except for the probably better performance of the signal chain?

2. On a scale of 1 = "No familiarity with audio measurements, but sane mind" to 10 = "Professional audio engineer", how much effort does it take to learn and configure the minidsp to get similar or at least better results than Audyssey MultEQ XT in a Denon X1700H?
1. I went this so I could get a more powerfull hypex amp, Dirac (which had limited availability on AVRs) and two smallish boxes compared to large AVR box
2. where you would rate the effort to setup the denon on your scale? Relative to that I would add a couple of points for minidsp dirac. you will need a separate computer to setup the minidsp. Also, dirac with minidsp wont do phase matching for the sub and main speakers so you need to set the delays yourself using something like REW or possible by ear.

OP
R

R.J.

where you would rate the effort to setup the denon on your scale?
Automatic measurement with Audyssey MultEQ XT would be a 1 on my scale.

Geertidow

I would say 4-5 in a 2.1 setting because of the following reason:
- If you integrate a subwoofer you have to do the crossovers and time-allignment yourself. DIRAC on the minidsp plex only sends out stereo.
@abdo123 wrote a nice tutorial how to easily do it with DIRAC, but you'd have to do it anyway.

In a 2.0 setting I'd give it a 3.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'd choose minidsp system anytime.. You have almost unlimited flexibility to EQ crossover room corrections. It's a simpler system. Smaller footprint. More focused.

Buy Dirac Live and a Umik1 mic and you are good to go.

Geertidow

But: no dirac live bass control (which you do get with a computer)

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a miniDSP/Dirac with a NC252MP amp and it sounds fantastic. Since you mentioned mostly music, this is a good call. As asked above, you would need a umik mic to do the measurements.
As for learning curve, it did take a little time to figure out setting it all up, taking the measurements and applying the correction curve, but once this is done the first time, it's easy to operate afterwards. An interested casual user with moderate computer experience can do it. There are tutorials and miniDSP does have tech support lines. And you have ASR.

Geertidow

I have a miniDSP/Dirac with a NC252MP amp and it sounds fantastic. Since you mentioned mostly music, this is a good call. As asked above, you would need a umik mic to do the measurements.
As for learning curve, it did take a little time to figure out setting it all up, taking the measurements and applying the correction curve, but once this is done the first time, it's easy to operate afterwards. An interested casual user with moderate computer experience can do it. There are tutorials and miniDSP does have tech support lines. And you have ASR.
I have the same setup. Love it.
Yes a bit of a learning curve and if you ever use a sub use abdo123's tutorial on time allignment before using dirac.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yes. UMIK-1.
1683387169635.png

OP
R

R.J.

Dear forum members, thank you very much for your helpful recommendations. I am verry happy with my miniDSP flex (+Dirac live) + AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC RCA amp choice, and highly recommend it. The built quality and finish of both the miniDSP flex and the Audiophonics amp is perfect. The output signal measurements are well known here in this forum. There is no noise or hum. Without an input signal, it's simply dead silent. Listening to music, especially with Dirac live activated, is really an enjoyment. But even without Dirac live, the audio output of both devices is excellent. On a scale of 1 = "Plug and play / just press a button" to 10 = "Professional audio engineer", the effort to setup and configure the miniDSP is a 3 according to my opinion. miniDSP provides a very good manual and application notes, which are sufficient to configure the device properly.

Attachments

• IMG_4859.JPG
    IMG_4859.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear forum members, thank you very much for your helpful recommendations. I am verry happy with my miniDSP flex (+Dirac live) + AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC RCA amp choice, and highly recommend it. The built quality and finish of both the miniDSP flex and the Audiophonics amp is perfect. The output signal measurements are well known here in this forum. There is no noise or hum. Without an input signal, it's simply dead silent. Listening to music, especially with Dirac live activated, is really an enjoyment. But even without Dirac live, the audio output of both devices is excellent. On a scale of 1 = "Plug and play / just press a button" to 10 = "Professional audio engineer", the effort to setup and configure the miniDSP is a 3 according to my opinion. miniDSP provides a very good manual and application notes, which are sufficient to configure the device properly.
Nice to hear you still like it.
Good thing is, even if you wanted to go multichannel now, your investment isn't lost, just get a multichannel amp with pre-outs for left and right.

Bach

Automatic measurement with Audyssey MultEQ XT would be a 1 on my scale.
How do you rate your before mentioned, skills?
And how about your will and drive to using them accordingly?

Top Bottom