• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for 2.1 setup: AVR vs. minidsp flex + Hypex Ncore NC252MP amp

R.J.

Hello,

I need a recommendation for an amp solution to drive a pair of ATC SCM11 speakers and a JL Audio E110 sub in a 2.1 setup. As an input source, I'm going to use a Spotify streamer (e.g. Fire TV stick with audio extractor) connected over Toslink. I'm considering the following two options:
  • minidsp flex + Hypex Ncore NC252MP amp
    • Pros: advanced tuning options, optional Dirac live, small dimensions, reviews of minidsp flex and NC252MP on ASR
    • Cons: requires more knowledge or practice and manual tuning
  • Denon X1700H/X2800H/X3800H AVR
    • Pros: Plug and play, automatic measurements
    • Cons: quality of automatic measurements might be inferior to manual tuning
What is your opinion on the above two options? An AVR is a plug and play solution and can perform automatic measurements. Whereas a minidsp would require more manual tuning.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I need a recommendation for an amp solution to drive a pair of ATC SCM11 speakers and a JL Audio E110 sub in a 2.1 setup. As an input source, I'm going to use a Spotify streamer (e.g. Fire TV stick with audio extractor) connected over Toslink. I'm considering the following two options:
What is your opinion on the above two options? An AVR is a plug and play solution and can perform automatic measurements. Whereas a minidsp would require more manual tuning.
You are paying for licenses on Denon. I will buy the first option.

OP
R

R.J.

You are paying for licenses on Denon. I will buy the first option.
Ok. Do you mean the Dirac live license? For a minidsp flex, the Dirac live license also costs additional 199 USD.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok. Do you mean the Dirac live license? For a minidsp flex, the Dirac live license also costs additional 199 USD.
No I said you are paying licenses on the Denon. The surround format licenses on an AVR is a good part of their cost. On the other hand Dirac is optional on miniDSP.

samysound

Hello,

• Pros: advanced tuning options, optional Dirac live, small dimensions, reviews of minidsp flex and NC252MP on ASR
Are you planning on using this for music only or with movies/TV with multi channel content? If the latter, the denon might have some advantage in down sampling multichannel content to 2.1. If music only, I would go miniDSP for sure

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No I said you are paying licenses on the Denon. The surround format licenses on an AVR is a good part of their cost. On the other hand Dirac is optional on miniDSP.
I didn't realize those licenses were are part of the cost of an AVR.

Keened

Forum Donor
If you are trying to eek out every bit of performance of the signal and amplification chain, the Flex is going to win every time. But you probably are not going to notice a difference since the biggest constraining factor is going to be your speakers and single sub, they should/will effectively sound the same.

The Flex does not offer any kind of HDMI/(e)ARC compatibility which might get annoying for turning the system on/off or adding additional video components as you go. If it's always going to be a dedicated 2.1 audio set up then it won't matter.

Do you already own the speakers and subwoofer or are you planning to put it all together?

Edit: Whoops, forgot that generation of Denon doesn't have Dirac. Dirac >> historical autoeq solutions. Unless you have a well tamed room and a narrow listening window Dirac will make the biggest difference.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I’d go option 1 with Dirac.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't realize those licenses were are part of the cost of an AVR.
You are never asked to pay for Dolby or DTS licenses when you buy an AVR but you can play content encoded in them. Do you think those companies allow their IP to be used free?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you already own the speakers and subwoofer or are you planning to put it all together?
Have you read his post?

Keened

Forum Donor
Have you read his post?

Yes, it doesn't state whether they currently own them or are looking to 'match' a source to their soon-to-be speakers.

It's an important question since the MSRP is $4K for those two-way speakers and the 10" sealed subwoofer...

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You are never asked to pay for Dolby or DTS licenses when you buy an AVR but you can play content encoded in them. Do you think those companies allow their IP to be used free?
Never gave it a thought! But I through out (to be recycled) the only AVR I ever owned years ago.

OP
R

R.J.

I already own the speakers and the sub. My primary use is music listening.

Brofeld

Remember that you can also do some manual tuning on Denon AVRs via the 20€ smartphone or 200€ PC app. The 3800 is also Dirac-ready, although you would have to pay extra for the license. Another point in favor of AVRs is the all-in-one aspect; for example, you wouldn't need an external streamer for Spotify, because the AVR already features Spotify connect.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember that you can also do some manual tuning on Denon AVRs via the 20€ smartphone or 200€ PC app.
Not on every model, especially not on the model Denon is considering.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No? I thought the ones the OP listed should all be compatible with the app.

Compatible models (Product availability varies depending on regions):
  • AVR-X6300H
  • AVR-X4300H
  • AVR-X3300W
  • AVR-X2300W
  • AVR-X1300W
Not compatible with Denon models other than those listed above.

Brofeld

It says right below "Selected future models will be compatible as well."

1300 -> 1700
2300 -> 2800
3300 -> 3800

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom