• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation: Bluetooth and/or Roon Endpoint Desktop Headphone Dac/Amp

boonips

I’m looking for a recommendations Desktop headphone dac/amp that can serve as either a Roon endpoint or has bluetooth.

I’m using Hifiman HE-560, Dan Clark Aeon Flow, and HD800S headphones. I want minimal cables as this will be next to my recliner and don’t have options to hide them.

What measures well and is less than the RME or matrix audio mini I-3 (preferably $400 or less)?

I’m possibly asking for something that doesn’t exist.

Edit: I also have a chrome cast audio that I could connect as the endpoint via toslink. But if I did that I would likely just get a JDS atom amp.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m looking for a recommendations Desktop headphone dac/amp that can serve as either a Roon endpoint or has bluetooth.

I’m using Hifiman HE-560, Dan Clark Aeon Flow, and HD800S headphones. I want minimal cables as this will be next to my recliner and don’t have options to hide them.

What measures well and is less than the RME or matrix audio mini I-3 (preferably $400 or less)?

I’m possibly asking for something that doesn’t exist.

Edit: I also have a chrome cast audio that I could connect as the endpoint via toslink. But if I did that I would likely just get a JDS atom amp.

The CCA plus something like the Topping EX5 might be perfect. Or the JDS combo unit that is DAC plus amp (pricey though)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Raspberry Pi + Raspberry Display running RoPieeeXL = $215
Topping E30 + Topping L30 = $300

That would be the best you can do below $500 to get a very good performing Roon end point.

I also own the MA mini-i Pro 3 and I vouch for it as one of the best one box solutions but of course, way out of you budget!!

OP
B

boonips

Raspberry Pi + Raspberry Display running RoPieeeXL = $215
Topping E30 + Topping L30 = $300

That would be the best you can do below $500 to get a very good performing Roon end point.

I also own the MA mini-i Pro 3 and I vouch for it as one of the best one box solutions but of course, way out of you budget!!
The MA mini-I pro 3 isn’t out of my budget, I just wanted to see if there is something significantly cheaper to get close to that functionality.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The MA mini-I pro 3 isn’t out of my budget, I just wanted to see if there is something significantly cheaper to get close to that functionality.
Well you said $400 so I assumed the mini-i Pro 3 wasn’t an option. If it is, then go for it!! Otherwise the other option I told you would work just fine!!

Top Bottom