• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation: Adam S3V vs JBL LSR 708P

Sprint

Forum Donor
Have any of you did A/B listening comparison between Adam S3V and LSR 708? Which one is good? I have room with limited room treatments but cannot do further due to WAF.

The set up if for 50-50 music/films.

Option 1: LCR S3V/S3H and surround S2V. 2 existing SVS subwoofer
Option 2: LR 708P, Center 705P and surround JBL HST WSH. 2 existing SVS subwoofer.

Option 3(my least preferred): B&W 805D3, surround AM-1.

Thanks!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The Adams have narrow dispersion because of the tweeter waveguide, so they wouldn't be very suitable for home theatre use.

Outside of that, they are nice speakers in general. The newer S models have fairly advanced DSP built-in, and the midrange on the S3Vs is mint.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
@ Pozz:
Thank you :). It is for living room. I listened to Genelec's 8351, 8350. Quite detailed but was not 100% satisfied with their metallic tweeter. Additionally, I have low board and if I go for 8350 (51 is out of my budget), then I am struggling for a center channel as 8340 is too tall for the low board. Do not know if 8330 will be ok.

Any other suggestions?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@Ilkless may be able to suggest something in the active category.

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
@ Pozz:
Thank you :). It is for living room. I listened to Genelec's 8351, 8350. Quite detailed but was not 100% satisfied with their metallic tweeter. Additionally, I have low board and if I go for 8350 (51 is out of my budget), then I am struggling for a center channel as 8340 is too tall for the low board. Do not know if 8330 will be ok.

Any other suggestions?
I do not know what a “metallic tweeter” is, but I suggest avoiding at all costs.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
@ LeftCoastTim: Sorry, my mistake of not being clear. I wanted to say dome tweeter with metallic sound.

Anyone prefer B&W 805 or even 705S2 compared to LSR708?

digicidal

Major Contributor
I have both of their younger (cheaper) brothers in setups - unfortunately the GC here isn't very good for higher-end monitors, so no chance to audition their nicer offerings. However, similar transducers and implementations on both - just better output and electronics on the ones you're considering. So take this for what it is... a subjective review worth about $0.01. ;)

The tweeters in the Adams are a little faster sounding and I prefer it when watching movies. It is definitely more directional than the silk domes on the JBLs but with LCR configuration that's less of an issue as you have center fill. I do prefer the JBL's for music however - especially when outside of the main listening position (which is why I moved them to the office where it's 95% music duty). Most of my problems with the JBLs for movies wouldn't necessarily apply to your use-case as you're considering the 708's which won't struggle to reach good levels in a larger room like my 305's do.

@LeftCoastTim Lots of titanium or beryllium (and several other metals) tweeters exist - metallic tweeters are somewhat common actually. AFAIK the S-ART tweeters in the Adams are a folded-foil of metallic composition as well.

I'd say you really need to audition both and see what you think (if that's possible for you, wasn't for me). Otherwise, I'd say based on the specs and reputation of both companies/models - either one is likely to give you a level of sound quality that should keep you grinning for years to come.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have any of you did A/B listening comparison between Adam S3V and LSR 708? Which one is good? I have room with limited room treatments but cannot do further due to WAF.

The set up if for 50-50 music/films.

Option 1: LCR S3V/S3H and surround S2V. 2 existing SVS subwoofer
Option 2: LR 708P, Center 705P and surround JBL HST WSH. 2 existing SVS subwoofer.

Option 3(my least preferred): B&W 805D3, surround AM-1.

Thanks!

I have heard S3V, S3H, LSR705, and LSR708. I think they are all excellent, but I have not heard them in the same room. I have JBL 7-series waiting for some custom work to be installed, and hearing the Adams did not make me reconsider my plans. However, if those are your shortlist my inclination is Adam. I don't like the idea of using a smaller center channel. I would consider a better surround speaker than S2V.

Interesting that you bring up JBL HST. It looks like the successor to the Infinity (Revel?) dipole surround speaker Dr. Toole discusses in Sound Reproduction. I've asked several JBL Synthesis dealers and Harman folks about HST, but nobody has been able to give any feedback. Have you heard this speaker?

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have heard S3V, S3H, LSR705, and LSR708. I think they are all excellent, but I have not heard them in the same room. I have JBL 7-series waiting for some custom work to be installed, and hearing the Adams did not make me reconsider my plans. However, if those are your shortlist my inclination is Adam. I don't like the idea of using a smaller center channel. I would consider a better surround speaker than S2V.

Interesting that you bring up JBL HST. It looks like the successor to the Infinity (Revel?) dipole surround speaker Dr. Toole discusses in Sound Reproduction. I've asked several JBL Synthesis dealers and Harman folks about HST, but nobody has been able to give any feedback. Have you heard this speaker?

Hi @jhaider

Do you think there is a big difference between 705P and 708P? I like the details and performance of 705P, excellent imaging, but it does sound a bit "boxy" to me. (But I have to say, it is already really good for its size).

Will 708P have significant improvements over 705P?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @jhaider

Do you think there is a big difference between 705P and 708P? I like the details and performance of 705P, excellent imaging, but it does sound a bit "boxy" to me. (But I have to say, it is already really good for its size).

I have never heard the P models, only the I models mediated by BSS BLU-50 or Crown DCI8|600n. However, between 705i and 708i If anything I think my preference is 705i. My initial impression is 705i seems to disappear better and image wider. That is an initial impression and I plan to revisit the comparison when I get an opportunity.

Were you using 705P with subwoofers and bass management?

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have never heard the P models, only the I models mediated by BSS BLU-50 or Crown DCI8|600n. However, between 705i and 708i If anything I think my preference is 705i. My initial impression is 705i seems to disappear better and image wider. That is an initial impression and I plan to revisit the comparison when I get an opportunity.

Were you using 705P with subwoofers and bass management?

Thanks for the info on 705/708i. I always thought that the 708s (both i and p versions) should have better image. That surprises me.

No. I don't have subwoofers for the 705P. For the speaker itself, the bass starts to roll off at 50 hz.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi @jhaider

I have both.
I'd say normally they are hard to tell apart, especially in a smaller space, but I prefer the 708p's when in a larger room at higher volumes... I don't know that I'd describe either as boxy in my enviroment.
I really like them both...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO, the 705P are good value for money.
Plugged on an electric bar on a separate wall socket (the other devices being on another), you can barely hear a hiss of the tweeters 2 meters away, even with unbalanced interconnect.
Sound quality and imaging are great.
My bedroom is small though (less than 10m²).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The Adams have narrow dispersion because of the tweeter waveguide, so they wouldn't be very suitable for home theatre use.

Outside of that, they are nice speakers in general. The newer S models have fairly advanced DSP built-in, and the midrange on the S3Vs is mint.

adam-audio-s2v-studio-monitor-horizontal-directivity-1920x1463.png

Anyone good at reading these things want to tell me if this is limited horizontal dispersion, normal or good?

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor

Function of the tweeter waveguide is to ensure directivity of the tweeter matches directivity of the midrange driver at the XO point, nothing more. It's function is to ensure smooth directivity curve at the XO transition point.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
I have both of their younger (cheaper) brothers in setups - unfortunately the GC here isn't very good for higher-end monitors, so no chance to audition their nicer offerings. However, similar transducers and implementations on both - just better output and electronics on the ones you're considering. So take this for what it is... a subjective review worth about $0.01. ;)

The tweeters in the Adams are a little faster sounding and I prefer it when watching movies. It is definitely more directional than the silk domes on the JBLs but with LCR configuration that's less of an issue as you have center fill. I do prefer the JBL's for music however - especially when outside of the main listening position (which is why I moved them to the office where it's 95% music duty). Most of my problems with the JBLs for movies wouldn't necessarily apply to your use-case as you're considering the 708's which won't struggle to reach good levels in a larger room like my 305's do.

@LeftCoastTim Lots of titanium or beryllium (and several other metals) tweeters exist - metallic tweeters are somewhat common actually. AFAIK the S-ART tweeters in the Adams are a folded-foil of metallic composition as well.

I'd say you really need to audition both and see what you think (if that's possible for you, wasn't for me). Otherwise, I'd say based on the specs and reputation of both companies/models - either one is likely to give you a level of sound quality that should keep you grinning for years to come.
But the tweeters on JBL is compression driver instead of silk dome..correct?

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor

Thanks @ JHaider. if I go for S3V, what is the surround that you will recommend. S2V is too big. My living room couch is just 50 cm from the back wall. Hence I wanted have a flat speaker or a small one that can be angled towards the lister. The surround speakers will be 4 Mts apart.

I have listened to KS Digital C88 (LCR) and C5 (surrounds) as recommend by illness. The wall bracket is flexible to be turned and had a wide dispersion almost 120 degrees. But from the sound quality, the tweeter was a bit dull and the last bit of high frequency was rolled off. So I decided not to go for it.

If I go with JBL,I liked the flat size of HST. Unfortunately I haven't listened to 708, 705 or HST. The next dealer is 2,5 hrs drive from me. It is just a wild guess that HST should be ok for surround duties. The same goes for B&W AM-1 which are outdoor speakers but looks lovely from design and will fit in the living room. Should be also ok for surround duties.

So, first I would like to check with experts here and do the drive :).

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
IMHO, the 705P are good value for money.
Plugged on an electric bar on a separate wall socket (the other devices being on another), you can barely hear a hiss of the tweeters 2 meters away, even with unbalanced interconnect.
Sound quality and imaging are great.
My bedroom is small though (less than 10m²).
Thanks! Would 705 P enough for listening distance between 3,5 - 4 meters? The front LR speakers will be 4 - 5 meters apart. my living room is 35m2 and the hearing area is approximately 20 m2 with one end open to dining area and the other end with big glass door.

Top Bottom