• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation: Adam S3V vs JBL LSR 708P

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @ JHaider. if I go for S3V, what is the surround that you will recommend. S2V is too big. My living room couch is just 50 cm from the back wall. Hence I wanted have a flat speaker or a small one that can be angled towards the lister. The surround speakers will be 4 Mts apart.

I am not adamant that the surrounds need to "match" the mains. I want you to get the HST just because I want to read some impressions of them. :)
Revel Concerta3 also has a slim wall mount model that is attractively finished. I don't know NHT's availability, but they have an on-wall monitor and I've never heard a bad NHT. Tannoy AMS-DC is another option if you're looking for something paintable.

If you didn't already have 2 competent subs I'd worry a little, but if the monitors are just handling 80Hz-20kHz - then they are right in the band those specs are taken at. I know that would be plenty for me... but you might have different listening habits. However, much more output than that (for more than a few minutes at least) and you'll be doing damage.

I've tried 705i's (BSS BLU-50, ATI AT4007 amp, 120Hz crossover to 4 subs) at 12' listening distance, and I thought their SPL was adequate. The big hangup for me is that it just seems wrong to use mains that are smaller than the rears (NHT Classic 3), and I don't want to go to the effort an expense to change the rears!

digicidal

Major Contributor
Probably mainly volume.
True, but even in that it's only a few dB... IIRC about 5dB more... so enough to be noticed, but arguably not enough to be significant. Although the increase in power might also contribute to a better overall sense of dynamics at lower listening levels.

I've tried 705i's (BSS BLU-50, ATI AT4007 amp, 120Hz crossover to 4 subs) at 12' listening distance, and I thought their SPL was adequate. The big hangup for me is that it just seems wrong to use mains that are smaller than the rears (NHT Classic 3), and I don't want to go to the effort an expense to change the rears!
I can understand that. Despite it being completely possible to have physically smaller fronts that could be driven to much higher levels, the visuals would seem "wrong" to me as well. ;)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish I picked up some 705p at the b-stock price. No regrets over the 708p, though.

veeceem

I was considering Revel Salon2s but after my Revel M16s arrived, I play them in the room and they're quite loud already, so I dont think Salon2 will be a good choice. A friend then mentioned he has Studio2 for 6 years and listened to Salon2 already, but he prefers these S3Hs from Adam audio.
Are Adam S3H or S3V as stereo speakers for music listening a good idea? And which model is better?
My room (in meter): 4x5.8 and Height: 3m (with aluminium panel ceiling)
I place speakers along the longer wall, usually sit 1.5-3m from speakers.
My goal: big soundstage, wide sweetspot, neutral sounding, enough SPL.
Thanks

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was considering Revel Salon2s but after my Revel M16s arrived, I play them in the room and they're quite loud already, so I dont think Salon2 will be a good choice. A friend then mentioned he has Studio2 for 6 years and listened to Salon2 already, but he prefers these S3Hs from Adam audio.
Are Adam S3H or S3V as stereo speakers for music listening a good idea? And which model is better?
Thanks

S3V without a doubt. A vertical orientation of drivers ensures that horizontal dispersion (more important) is smoother. The S3H style of horizontally-orienting the drivers is meant to provide a speaker with lower height to be placed on a mixing console in a studio, which is a different placement and height from most homes. Horizontally-orienting drivers ensures that some lobing inevitably shows on the horizontal plane.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks

SPL is pretty easy to attain in most rooms, at around the $300/pair level. A bigger speaker will get louder still, which maybe you'll be able to stand for a song or two. I usually listen to my 708p at -10 to -25. There is a noticeable increase in sound quality going from the $300/pair range to the $4000/pair range, of course, but it's a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I would budget for a sub or two before targeting your speakers.

Top Bottom