• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend Opamp Upgrades for Xduoo XD-05 Plus and Aune X8

I'm looking to upgrade the opamps in my Xduoo XD-5 and Aune X8 which both still have the stock ones.
I am looking at the Burson V5i-D and Muses02. How do these opamps compare? Which others should I consider for my devices? I am only interested in opamps which fit the respective cases. The Sparkos ones I've looked at eg SS3602 doesn't fit. I have a XP3 PSU for the X8.

I listen to mostly electronic music.

Many thanks!

PaulD

I recommend that you save your money. Opamp "rolling" has been shown to not improve the sound. It is a fact that opamps do NOT sound different when properly used and implemented. This is not an opinion. Implementations may sound different, but it is the implementation at fault and not the opamp. Every engineer knows this. There is an abundance of evidence to support this, such as:
https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/op-amps-myths-facts.html
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/01/measurements-asus-xonar-essence-one-dsd.html

The opamps in your piece of equipment have probably been properly engineered...

Saying that opamps sound different is just another hifi myth. Bet Scott Wurcer or SIY a bottle of Richebourg or La Tache that you can tell the difference in a properly conducted double blind test.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Noodles

Unless the stock opamps are shit with a higher noise floor, which they aren't, there is no point. If i recall correctly the x8 has a lme 47920, not 100% on the xd-05, but they should be fine too.
I had slotted a burson v5i in my x8 when i had it ... honestly that's 50 bucks pissed away.

OP
D
Stock opamps:

XD-05 Plus: OPA1612
X8: LME47920

The X8 actually comes with a box of several. The manufacturers encourage opamp rolling. I never really expected the response that opamps don't sound any different. I'll have to do some further reading and research before spending any money. Some opamp upgrades are quite expensive like the Sparkos.

Last edited:

Noodles

The change is so minimal that you can barely make out anything. You can maybe hear it if you have hd800's and some of the higher end THX amps, but otherwise it is not worth it.
Both default opamps are actually quite good, so no reason to change them.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How have they designed the X8 to be compatible with several op amps ? Is it only functional and tested with the provided ones ? Seems like strange optimisation, why not pick one and fully optimise the design for that op amp ?

One have to consider the whole circuit , worst case even a good op amp makes the total performance worse and even audible o_O

Maybe the X8 is designed to cater for the op amp rolling crowd . After all it’s a market and someone decided to provide a product for this. Does not really mater if it makes sense or not it’s a product and someone will buy it .

Noodles

The X8 markets itself as exotic as its an FCPGA + opamp rolling little dac. It's nice, sounds decent (probably even measures well). I would have to agree that different opamps could cause deterioration in the sound as some of these opamps have different supply and output voltage ranges sooooo ... yeah i would stick to the stock one - at least that one is tested :)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beware that typical audiophile "wisdom" is generally based on sighted comparisons and no real effort is made to control other factors such as ensuring volumes remain precisely the same (within 1 dB). And all else being the same, the opamp which gives you a bit more gain will likely seem more exciting.

Pricey, high-speed opamps may in fact sound different, but not for good reasons: Such parts may require additional circuit modifications in order to work properly without oscillation!

rockatanescu

Assuming you have the default OPA2134 opamp in your Aune X8, you could try the following op-amps:

* MUSES01
* NJM5532
* OPA2604
* LME49720

The main reason why I am specifying these opamps is because they appear in a poorly-made graph on the Aune X8 official page so at least Aune went through the effort to actually put them in the DAC and run some tests with them. Those opamps can also be purchased in a "Aune X8 with additional opamps set" package from Linsoul.

levimax

Major Contributor
I think an interesting experiment would be to drop in some TL072 op amps which cost $0.27 each and do an ABX test and see if you can hear any difference. My experience is the TL072 are noisier but otherwise sound fine. Most older music has passed through many of these devices during the recording process.

TommyCock

Assuming you have the default OPA2134 opamp in your Aune X8, you could try the following op-amps:

* MUSES01
* NJM5532
* OPA2604
* LME49720

The main reason why I am specifying these opamps is because they appear in a poorly-made graph on the Aune X8 official page so at least Aune went through the effort to actually put them in the DAC and run some tests with them. Those opamps can also be purchased in a "Aune X8 with additional opamps set" package from Linsoul.
I went a little crazy with ops amp rolling. I purchased Bursons Classic 5, Vivid 6, and Sparkos. I heard a noticeable difference with the Sparkos.Sparkos is only $79.00 . Id go Sparkos if getting it ops amp rolling.

Beave

Major Contributor
I went a little crazy with ops amp rolling. I purchased Bursons Classic 5, Vivid 6, and Sparkos. I heard a noticeable difference with the Sparkos.Sparkos is only $79.00 . Id go Sparkos if getting it ops amp rolling.

How did you conduct your listening tests?

TommyCock

I spent weeks listening to each one with a multitude of cds ranging from classical to hip hop. I referred to companies literature on each op amps output. In addition, I used my DB meter and RTA on my Behringer which is set to flat across the board. They all sounded good but Sparkos seemed to have a little more output across the board and was less colored.I also swapped out my speakers throughout. Of course, this is my subjective opinion.
I think the Burson's are great, I just think the Sparkos was better in my application.

TommyCock

* MUSES01
* NJM5532
* OPA2604
* LME49720

The Burson and Sparkos websites specifically state that their ops amps are compatiable with Aune X8. The difference between their offerings and stock are that they are dual discrete not singles.Hence, the need to adjust how the Aunex8s sits. You either have to flip it on its back or stand it vertically. Im in process of building a stand to make it more stable.

Beave

Major Contributor
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that people buy gear and then swap out the op amps in search of "better" sound.

I mean, doesn't that imply that you think the designer(s) picked inferior/inappropriate op amps?

And if that's the case, why buy that piece of equipment?

Noodles

People that do that (i was one of them for a while) like the product but wish the thing has for example slightly more bass or a bit more midrange. And sometimes you can't get that without adding additional software, or if you can - it will cost a bit.
So that's where opamps come in.
Unfortunately what i've found is that in most cases the one they stuck in sounds best and is paired well with the rest of the circuit. I've had problems for example when i change stock opamps with burson ones and they have higher output voltage - sometimes it boosts the distortion up and the device sounds worse.
Nowadays i EQ - it's much more controlled :)

TommyCock

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that people buy gear and then swap out the op amps in search of "better" sound.

I mean, doesn't that imply that you think the designer(s) picked inferior/inappropriate op amps?

And if that's the case, why buy that piece of equipment?
I purchased it because I can use the Aune 8 as a pre-amp for other applications in the future, as in a desk top etc. I find its only downfall is doesnt have XLR outputs. I have been buying a combination of products to play with. In retrospect I could a decent r2r unit with all the connects needed for my amps . I dont own anything super high end, but I was told by a wise gentleman that good cd players have good DACs in them. My cd source to my amps sounded good before I added the external DAC. Its all about what makes your ears happy. I will never be considered a "purist" because I run a 2.2 system. I run full range OBs and sealed direct servo subs and it sounds good. I dont want to leave the house.Unfortunately,people forget music and how its perceived is somewhat subjective to listener. There are many external factors that no one really touches base on that affects sound. Thats the acoustics of a room and barometric pressures.

TommyCock

Ive heard high $ Focals in poorly laid out room with high dollar amps. I thought I in was in a bar with the soundman was too drunk to adjust the levels. But my buddy loved it.. and thats all that counts.

Top Bottom