• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me the "opposite" of my Neumann KH 120s (if you like)

JustCoolin‘

Hi,

I'll make it quick: a few years ago, I basically gave away/sold/stored my classic hifi components (nothing special, an old Rotel amp, pretty floorstanders, etc.), and bought, as a bit of an experiment at the time, a pair of Neumann KH120s, an RME ADI-DAC 2, and never really looked back. I am now listening at approximately 6 feet from the Neumanns in my "nearfield corner". I'll maybe add a sub, maybe put them into another room, but I am definitely going to keep them. Suffice to say, I am quite happy with them.

That said, having read a lot in this forum lately (thanks to the many contributions of many of you, thank you all for that!) about near, mid- and farfield, wide dispersion vs narrow dispersion, etc., I wonder if should not also look for something entirely different, as an alternative, in a separate room.

So, if I basically wanted a bit of the opposite of what I have, namely, not nearfield monitors, but speakers with sound to "fill the room", and to enjoy from the sofa, maybe 14 feet away from where the speakers stand, but *with the same quality, basically* as the Neumanns, what would you lot recommend?

Active speakers preferred, budget of maybe 4.000,- EUR, but do not hesitate to recommend me the MasterBlaster 2000 for 100k, if only for edcuational purposes, if it's the only thing that fits the bill.

Thanks!

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For that price I'd go 708p, but I'm not sure their prices in EU. Many deals to be had in the USA. But honestly, if you want a different flavor that can "fill the room" at 14ft, I'd go Kef R series. Good amps are not cost prohibitive and you can easily go multichannel someday.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Depending on volume desired I would just add the kh750 sub. I have posted a lot on misconceptions of near/midfield. It comes down to volume needed. I use studio monitors that far away in my home all the time and can play moderately loud no problem. If you want to crank it then you need to go bigger than the 120s with a sub or the 708P. The 708p or similar studio monitors will only go a few db louder than your kh120 with a sub. My first thought in your budget if you want to play loud is nice PA speakers with a sub that can play the volume desired.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How big is your room?
+1
if it is around 80 cubic meters... A pair of subs KH750 if you want to stay with Neumann, would "fill" it, for about 2500 Euros...
In the USA I would have gone for a pair of SVS, Monoprice or Rythmik, etc., for more output and extension for the same cash outlay. IDK what is similar to SVS, et al., in your location.

Peace.

mj30250

If it's wider dispersion you're after while maintaining accurate sound (and you don't mind jumping over to passives), take a look at Ascend Acoustics, Philharmonic Audio, and Revel.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

I'll make it quick: a few years ago, I basically gave away/sold/stored my classic hifi components (nothing special, an old Rotel amp, pretty floorstanders, etc.), and bought, as a bit of an experiment at the time, a pair of Neumann KH120s, an RME ADI-DAC 2, and never really looked back. I am now listening at approximately 6 feet from the Neumanns in my "nearfield corner". I'll maybe add a sub, maybe put them into another room, but I am definitely going to keep them. Suffice to say, I am quite happy with them.

That said, having read a lot in this forum lately (thanks to the many contributions of many of you, thank you all for that!) about near, mid- and farfield, wide dispersion vs narrow dispersion, etc., I wonder if should not also look for something entirely different, as an alternative, in a separate room.

So, if I basically wanted a bit of the opposite of what I have, namely, not nearfield monitors, but speakers with sound to "fill the room", and to enjoy from the sofa, maybe 14 feet away from where the speakers stand, but *with the same quality, basically* as the Neumanns, what would you lot recommend?

Active speakers preferred, budget of maybe 4.000,- EUR, but do not hesitate to recommend me the MasterBlaster 2000 for 100k, if only for edcuational purposes, if it's the only thing that fits the bill.

Thanks!
You could try some different transducer technologies.

One option would be coaxial speakers, like KEF's passive R series, or their self powered LS50 or LS60. These have somewhat narrower dispersion, very well controlled directivity, and symmetric vertical and horizontal dispersion. The Genelec "The Ones" 83x1 series also have coaxial mid/tweeter drivers with similar characteristics. They are self-powered three-way studio monitors and cost significantly more than KEF's passive speakers, but include DSP and work with Genelec's GLM room calibration system.

Another option is to try the large ribbon tweeters used in the Ascend Sierra and ELX speakers. These have wide horizontal dispersion (but with good directivity control) and narrow vertical dispersion, with claims for superior transient response. This gives an audible difference between these tweeters and the dome tweeters in comparable products - see this blind comparison between the Revel F206 and the Ascend Sierra with RAAL ribbon tweeters published on this site. The Ascend Acoustics publishes Klippel NFS data for all their most recent models. The NFS data shows excellent performance, very much competitive with equivalent Revel and KEF speakers. However, Ascend is a small US company and I have no idea if their speakers are available in your area.

Last edited:
OP
J

JustCoolin‘

Thank you all for your replies so far, lots of interesting thoughts. I‘ll stalk @Ellebob’s old post a bit a bit since I find the relation between near and midfield and what speaker design matters (or doesn’t ) and the relation to narrow and wide dispersion as fascinating as confusing.

The room is approximately 25sqm, and 75 cubic meters. I am a bit reluctant to get the Neumann sub, I am not sure how well that will work with the neighbors.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't go for small tonality change when you have small bookshelves. Get them subs with room correction first.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
People get this misconception that nearfield speakers all of a sudden sound like garbage once you get so far away. This is not true at all. They still sound the same as they did up close with maybe a slight decrease in high frequencies. This slight decrease in high frequencies happens with midfield speakers as well. Higher frequencies with their smaller wavelengths lose energy quicker than larger wavelengths. That's why when you look at Amir's measurements and see a flat speaker but the estimated in room response has a slight downslope. The physics of how sound decays does not change between nearfield, midfield, and farfield does not change. Obviously, speaker design does change directivity.

Everyone using a bookshelf speaker whether from Polk, B&W, Paradigm, Kef, etc. or most 2 way speakers are using a nearfield speaker, no different than most smaller studio monitors. So what defines a nearfield? Basically, 2 parameters. One is volume level and to reach the same volume further away a larger speaker is needed. The other parameter is the sound combined at close distances say .5m to 1 meter away. A large tower for instance with multiple drivers would not have the sound combined .5m away. The drivers closer to you would be emphasized.

So, a nearfield can be used in the midfield as long as it achieves the volume desired. However, a midfield can't be used in the midfield like on a desk or small mixing console.

In your case a sub might not be recommended because lower frequencies transmit through walls easier. Usually, a sub works great to fill in the lower octaves and take some of the work from the speaker's woofer. But, lower octaves will go through walls easier. That is something to consider whether using larger speakers or a sub. If it goes much lower than your current speakers it might transmit through walls easier. Just a consideration for your situation if neighbors are on the other side of an adjacent wall.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have neighbours all around and they don't hear anything even if I play movies at reasonably loud volume (80ish), system is flat from 15Hz.

I think that the key word is flat. If you have huge peaks in lower frequencies then you might start annoying neighbors.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
A lot depends on the construction if sound will transmit through walls.

Zapper

You did say "opposite" but the responses so far have been "sorta different". How about something big and loud like a Klipsch Heresy? 99dB/watt. They'll kick your Neumann's well calibrated ass!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How about something big and loud like a Klipsch Heresy? 99dB/watt.
I’m actuality it’s more like 95 dB though. It’s also quite messy and not very low distortion.

But what about Genelec S360:

Zapper

I’m actuality it’s more like 95 dB though. It’s also quite messy and not very low distortion.
You miss the point. He said "opposite". Loud, messy, distorted IS opposite of a Neumann!
Cerwin Vega 3-way with 15" woofer would be another great opposite choice. Rock on

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You miss the point. He said "opposite". Loud, messy, distorted IS opposite of a Neumann!
Cerwin Vega 3-way with 15" woofer would be another great opposite choice. Rock on
You could also just get a $ 15 dollar Bluetooth speaker… another opposite ;)

Top Bottom